How might Weber affect Voracek

bullies

From what I gather, if we end up with Weber (I know it's a big if) his cap hit will be around $7.8 mil. That's right around the space we have now according to capgeek (no counting Pronger's LTIR relief which is around 4.9 mil annually) My question is, how does that affect Jake? I know 4.9 is more than likely enough to get it done, and salaries can be shed, but this is a little concerning to me.

If memory serves, in 97, we signed Gratton to an offer sheet, then set up a player trade before the 7 day waiting period. Could Homer be setting us up for something like that?

I just dont see Homer sending an offer sheet unless he has a plan, I also dont see Weber signing it and potentially getting stuck in Nashville for 14 years unless he knows more.

This is all speculation, but losing Voracek would scare me. Of course at the end of the day, we are talking about Weber, so sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

As long as we don't lose Giroux, Couturier and to a lesser extent, Braydon Schenn, we win if we get Weber. If we have to trade Voracek it's the cost of getting the premier defencmean in the world.

As for Homer having a plan,,,the guy has been winging it for years. He makes some good moves-he makes some bad moves. But plan has not been in his repetoire.

Bullies:

I agree that Homer must have a back-up plan if this doesn't pan out. My gut says he forces Poile to trade but that is a guess.

Voracek is young and durable. I think he would be a good long-term addition. But I guess Weber-types don't come too often.

I would go to the TSN.ca for some interesting commentary. You can't rule out a Poile resigning--the franchise's credibility is on the line. But the up-front costs of 23 million may exceed Nashville's income for a year.

Ultimately, this is a comment on large market-small market. And it says that a team like Nashville can grow great talent but can't afford to keep it long-term. Hartnell and Kimmo are living proof.

Peace,

Howie

The way I see it I think Homer has a deal already drawn up with Vorachek, I think it is a done deal but has been waiting to see what happens with Weber.

Exactly.

I think he'll get around $3 million/year.

Not losing sleep over Jake's contract situation.

As for Homer having a plan,,,the guy has been winging it for years. He makes some good moves-he makes some bad moves. But plan has not been in his repetoire.

I would agree, FC. He is following in Clarkie's footsteps. Both react rather than plan. And when you operate this way, you are bound to pull some good deals and some horrible ones. It's inevitable.

The only reason I cut both him and Clarke some slack is because I firmly believe Snider runs the team more so than his GMs do.... which really brings up a question: why even *have* a GM if the owner interferes to such a huge extent?

• Like 1

I would agree, FC. He is following in Clarkie's footsteps. Both react rather than plan. And when you operate this way, you are bound to pull some good deals and some horrible ones. It's inevitable.

The only reason I cut both him and Clarke some slack is because I firmly believe Snider runs the team more so than his GMs do.... which really brings up a question: why even *have* a GM if the owner interferes to such a huge extent?

Maybe Snider doesn't want to read the CBA or deal with the Philly media any more than he has to? Makes sense to pay someone else to do the ****** work.

@Mad Dog Agreed on Homer just winging it. What a crazy back to back summers in Flyerland, huh MD?. Geez, the two faces of the franchise get traded last year and the new face of Flyer hockey comes this year.

I like the fact he's been captain already. If Shea becomes a Flyer he would be the perfect captain. Just give him the reigns from the moment he gets here....let him be captain for a decade. That takes the pressure off of G and let's him concentrate on putting the puck in the net. G and Timonen get the A's next year and Couts takes the A from Kimo when he moves on....that would be great. Shea will be on the ice for every critical moment for the next decade anyways, so it fits logistically as well.

I tell ya, exciting, exciting times to be a Flyer fan.

We got the best d-man in the league and did not have to dismantle the team to do it, God bless the Comcast cash!!!

@jammer2

Let Weber get used to Philly first. No annointing the 'C' or anything like that. Try to let him blend in as much as possible first, become part of the team and culture. Keep the pressure off of him at first, at least as much as reasonably possible for a 100m USD man.

I hope they do not declare a new 'C', and use that as reason to LTIR Pronger. We swear, he's trying to come back!

Bear in mind, Nashville still has six days or so to take out an home (arena?) equity loan to pay Weber....

@doom88 How would you like to the banker who secures that loan...talk about having your career on the line...ha ha...putting out millions of dollars that counts on hockey in Nashville being successful.....good luck with that huh?

@doom88 How would you like to the banker who secures that loan...talk about having your career on the line...ha ha...putting out millions of dollars that counts on hockey in Nashville being successful.....good luck with that huh?

I actually think Nashville can be a good franchise long term. They do a lot with a little, and as their fan base grows over the next ten years, they will be more significant in the NHL as a whole.