The longer Nashville takes..... Is it a good or bad sign?

Guest jackhole

I have posted the explanation in countless threads. I believe that the promotion of Sidney Crosby as the savior of the NHL and the face of the NHL was not complete until they helped him get a Stanley Cup. I base this on the league disciplinary double standard that season msot notably the lack of a suspension for Malkin among others.

Bettman wanted his "new Gretzky" to have a ring so the league helped it along.

Its not sour grapes. I don't want a championship that way. What pains me is not Pittsburgh hoisting the trophy, its the sight of that trophy being tarnished and used as a tool to promote a star to revive a league.

I still do not believ in the entire legitimicy of the NHL as an impartial competitive league.

There is virtually nothing you can say that will change my mind. I witnessed it.

I don't expect to change your mind, as you are entitled to your opinion. I just think it's baseless opinion. That team was a well built team from top to bottom, with players who could play every role. They overcame several points of elimination that the league supposedly turning a blind eye to any possible suspensions had no impact on, as there were no questionable calls within reasonable time periods in front of those games. The team did well in the playoffs, including against your own Flyers who at the time were still more hack, slash and insult than talent. NOT the Flyers you have now... a skilled, young, fast moving offense. The league hardly arranged for Talbot to get his face lumped by Carcillo then the Pens to overturn a 3-0 game to win. Or Fleury to stop Ovechkin on a breakaway in Game 7 that would have lost us the series. Or stopping Jeff Carter in game 2 with a toe save...

I could show you season after season of league failures in discipline, much like this past year, or the year before, or pretty much every year since the league's inception. I could go on with reason after reason the Pens won it legitimately, citing specific plays, players, and game changing or deciding moments for you, that have nothing to do with penalties or officials turning a blind eye. Honestly, and I like debating issues with you and many of your comrades here in Flyer orange, unless you can somehow show me instances of actual favoritism that had a real impact on the season, it's just sour grapes. We can do that in another thread if you like, but I understand if you'd rather not revisit it. I hate talking about how your team beat mine this past season... I imagine you feel the same way about 2009.

@Polaris922 I do think there are instances when Sid and the Pens catch some slack for being the face of the league. Like the time Sid uppercut that guy in the gonads...easily a suspendable infraction...yet nothing came of it. On the whole though, I'm gonna agree with you, there is NO secret agenda to help the Pens win....it's sour grapes and quite frankly, I find the very notion/theory to be embarrassing when put forth by fellow Flyer fans. It is simply not true.

• Like 1

@Polaris922 I do think there are instances when Sid and the Pens catch some slack for being the face of the league. Like the time Sid uppercut that guy in the gonads...easily a suspendable infraction...yet nothing came of it. On the whole though, I'm gonna agree with you, there is NO secret agenda to help the Pens win....it's sour grapes and quite frankly, I find the very notion/theory to be embarrassing when put forth by fellow Flyer fans. It is simply not true.

I'll agree there are plays I would rather not have seen. But in fairness, a LOT of players can claim some moments of questionable thought. Crosby, Malkin.. not immune. LOL Thanks for your opinion though. I was trying to read his post with open eyes, but I just can't see where there was any conspiracy there.

Polaris, I like your posts in this thread. Well-reasoned and make sense.

I will ALWAYS be suspicious of the circumstances surrounding the lottery that became Sidney Crosby's pick. Not trying to make too big an issue of it, but I do think the league at the very least really screwed up in allowing the appearance of something wrong.

I remember the Flyers' cup teams and how people around the league said they stole it and played like thugs, etc. Ticked me off. Even with three picks of Fleury, Malkin, and Crosby, you still have to build a team around that and try to do it within the cap. They did. They won. Next issue.

• Like 1

@ruxpin "I will ALWAYS be suspicious of the circumstances surrounding the lottery that became Sidney Crosby's pick. Not trying to make too big an issue of it, but I do think the league at the very least really screwed up in allowing the appearance of something wrong."

Agreed. It *was* very suspicious. Not saying the league did any thing wrong...but they could have made it easy on themselves by doing it above board...and not behind closed doors. Come to think of it...why was that the only lottery held behind closed doors anyways??

@ruxpin "I will ALWAYS be suspicious of the circumstances surrounding the lottery that became Sidney Crosby's pick. Not trying to make too big an issue of it, but I do think the league at the very least really screwed up in allowing the appearance of something wrong."

Agreed. It *was* very suspicious. Not saying the league did any thing wrong...but they could have made it easy on themselves by doing it above board...and not behind closed doors. Come to think of it...why was that the only lottery held behind closed doors anyways??

That's the part that bothers me about it. Why behind closed doors? And why was it the only one?

It may have been completely legit. Probably was, actually. But the closed doors thing gives it a stink they could have avoided by just doing it publicly...like every other year.

That's the part that bothers me about it. Why behind closed doors? And why was it the only one?

It may have been completely legit. Probably was, actually. But the closed doors thing gives it a stink they could have avoided by just doing it publicly...like every other year.

I also always wondered why it was behind closed doors. Even if they couldn't air the thing live, at least tape it and show it at some other time. Like you said, it probably was legit but why give anyone a chance for doubt?

• Like 1

Then let's just put the Cup up for bid.

You even acknowledge that it's an advantage for a handful of clubs.

That's not a "league" - that's the six Globetrotters and 24 Generals.

The New York Yankees scream HELLO!!!!!!

The New York Yankees scream HELLO!!!!!!

I do think there's more equality in the NHL than MLB at this point.

The Pirates haven't even sniffed the playoffs since they lost Bonds and Bonilla... In 1993.

When was the last time before the All Star Game this year anyone noticed there was baseball in Kansas City? They wno the World Series in 1986 and have finished in second place twice since then, the last time in 1995.

When was the last time da Bawlmer Oweos ever sniffed competing in the AL East, hon? 1997. (I am aware they are 2nd this year - so that's one competitive season in the past 15 - that's not even "Penguins tanking" bad).

I do think there's more equality in the NHL than MLB at this point.

The Pirates haven't even sniffed the playoffs since they lost Bonds and Bonilla... In 1993.

When was the last time before the All Star Game this year anyone noticed there was baseball in Kansas City? They wno the World Series in 1986 and have finished in second place twice since then, the last time in 1995.

When was the last time da Bawlmer Oweos ever sniffed competing in the AL East, hon? 1997. (I am aware they are 2nd this year - so that's one competitive season in the past 15 - that's not even "Penguins tanking" bad).

My poor Pirates... Lol. They're fighting this year!!