Shane Doan in town

Guest NHL95

The hot rumour is that the Flyers have Shane Doan in town for a visit. Do any of you agree that they are pursuing him just incase they have to trade one of their Forwards to Nashville and sweeten the pot for Weber to get here?

• Like 1

I think that has been the plan all along.

Look for Homer to include Voacek's rights in a trade to Nashville. Maybe Read too.

And then sign Doan AND Weber.

Take THAT, Minnesota!

Bring on the Stanley Cup!

• Like 1

Look for Homer to include Voacek's rights in a trade to Nashville. Maybe Read too.

Take THAT, Minnesota!

I can live with that. Its a win win for everybody...except the Coyoyes ofcourse but so what. lol. Vorachek is a decent player but definitely worth dealing and Doan can still play even at 36.

• Like 1

Take THAT, Minnesota!

Minnesota? Hasn't made the playoffs since 07-08 Minnesota? Has basically two NHL defensemen Minnesota? (Suter, Gilbert, Stoner, Scandella, Falk, Prosser, Genoway, Spurgeon)

Who the heck is scared of Minnesota? Because of Zach Praise? IMO, this was one of the most overhyped FA pools in a Long Time.

The hot rumour is that the Flyers have Shane Doan in town for a visit. Do any of you agree that they are pursuing him just incase they have to trade one of their Forwards to Nashville and sweeten the pot for Weber to get here?

No, I believe they are pursuing him because they can add him without losing anything else, he's a great talent, real character team guy and would look great on Giroux's wing.

• Like 2

Who the heck is scared of Minnesota? Because of Zach Praise? IMO, this was one of the most overhyped FA pools in a Long Time.

I'm just saying that they thought they made the biggest splash this offseason. Not so fast! :D

They don't necessarily have anything to do with the other, though if he signs, the Flyers basically have to ship one or two players out should Nashville not match. But with Jake and MAB unsigned, they would have the flexibility to sign Doan, then work out a deal somewhere.

• Like 1

I think its great Shea Weber was in town clandestine/stealth, would have been great if Doan would have done a stealth visit too, but hey then there would be nothing for me to read.

I just worry about getting too thin up front. Lavvys system IS NOT a defensive system and Bryz is like the weather in the tropics.

Then again, Holmgren did make some comment about the system for next year

I really don't want to lose Voracek AND Read. Both are so young and had extremely promising years last season. On top of losing Jagr and JvR (have to imagine he puts up 20+ in a healthy season on this team), that would be a lot of offense gone, even though Doan would be added. I just feel that we would be getting rather thin up front, though that always seems to be our concern. Adding Weber would be amazing but we'll have nobody to really play on the wing with skill.

• Like 1

to NHL95 there is no sweetening the pot for weber. he will either play in philly or nashville and no trade can be made after an offer sheet is given.

Not entirely true. Paul and Poile could have an arrangement to trade back the 4 first round picks in exchange for roster players. If so, most likely it would be for some of our young guns or maybe one of our better d-man. (Coby?Mez?)

to NHL95 there is no sweetening the pot for weber. he will either play in philly or nashville and no trade can be made after an offer sheet is given.

The trade would technically be afterward (like in the Gratton deal).

• Like 1

More along the lines of an agreement where Nashville says "Ok, we wont match the offer but lets trade those draft picks for some of your players"

Not entirely true. Paul and Poile could have an arrangement to trade back the 4 first round picks in exchange for roster players. If so, most likely it would be for some of our young guns or maybe one of our better d-man. (Coby?Mez?)

I would guess it would be two picks for two players. That way Nashville isnt totally sold short and the Flyers can still have future talent to develop. Radoran is probably right that maybe pursuing Doan is unrelated. But it helps if the Flyers have to give up a few forwards to ensure that Weber ends up here.

Look we all would like to have Doan on the team. But enough to give him 4 years at a 7 mil cap hit?

AJGOAL broke it down pretty good that if they shipped out Voracheck and MAB they would have the flexibility to sign Doan.

Not exactly. They don't need to ship out anybody to be able to sign Doan, not right away. What I meant was that by Jake and MAB being unsigned, the Flyers won't exceed the cap if they were to sign Doan to 4.5/yr or so. Someone would have to go at that point if Weber actually comes to Philly, but it doesn't have to be those two.

@PHI Flyers10

Yeah I was happier when it was Weber to Philly for upcoming picks. Don't really wanna see the youngsters getting shipped out.

Though GMs have reputations to uphold, I was under the impression that WE were the ones trying to win the Cup for ourselves, not give up valuable assets because we feel bad for making a huge signing for our team.

• Like 2

@Onehipwonder87 Welcome to the board! This is probably the 10th time I've posted this....but why in the world do you think Getzlaf and Perry will become UFA's next year? In other words, you think the Ducks will commit fan base suicide like that? They will be moved....for outrageous assets.

@Onehipwonder87 Welcome to the board! This is probably the 10th time I've posted this....but why in the world do you think Getzlaf and Perry will become UFA's next year? In other words, you think the Ducks will commit fan base suicide like that? They will be moved....for outrageous assets.

And even if they don't resign with the Ducks, there is absolutely no guarantee the Flyers would be their first choice. We saw it as recently as this summer with Parise.

If the Flyers decide to go for it, this season might as well be the year to target. Next year may be tough with not knowing what will happen with Timonen, Hartnell and others whose contracts are up. Why wait?

Take THAT, Minnesota!

I would be REALLY upset to see Read go. Really like the kid.

• Like 1

Not true. They're talking a trade like what happened in the Gratton situation where a deal is set up to trade back for the picks. On paper it comes out as two separate deals, but in essence it's a package for Weber.

The offer sheet was to eliminate the other teams from trade talks and possibly raising the ante.