Shane Doan in town

Guest NHL95

Look we all would like to have Doan on the team. But enough to give him 4 years at a 7 mil cap hit?

If we end up with nobody after all these offers, then I think we should overpay a bit to get a guy like Doan. He could be hugely important this year.

Not exactly. They don't need to ship out anybody to be able to sign Doan, not right away. What I meant was that by Jake and MAB being unsigned, the Flyers won't exceed the cap if they were to sign Doan to 4.5/yr or so. Someone would have to go at that point if Weber actually comes to Philly, but it doesn't have to be those two.

They do have to have room for the RFA tags they have put on the two players in addition to any others.

@Onehipwonder87 Welcome to the board! This is probably the 10th time I've posted this....but why in the world do you think Getzlaf and Perry will become UFA's next year? In other words, you think the Ducks will commit fan base suicide like that? They will be moved....for outrageous assets.

Yep. Why let your best players become FAs unless they just don't want to play there.

Yep. Why let your best players become FAs unless they just don't want to play there.

well, let's look at it...

Suter said he wants to test the market. Nashville says they want to make a run to convince players that they really are committed to winning. They make a commitment to their goalie, make a deal for a depth character/faceoff guy and bring in a Russian star (who averages a point per game in the playoffs and is *still* a distraction) - adding to the signing/trades for the Kostitsyns, the Preds make the playoffs and get to the Conference Semis for the second year with arguably their best team yet..

We don't know what they offered Suter. We don't know if Suter even came to them and said "here's what I'm getting offered."

So Suter goes. To Minnesota. Who hasn't made the playoffs since 2007-2008. Because Nashville "isn't committed to winning."

Does this pass your "smell test" because it stinks like high heaven to me. You know who doesn't seem "committed to winning" to me?

Suter.

Weber then decrees that Suter abandoning the team shows the team is not committed to winning and he wants to leave.

Really? One guy leaves and that's it - furn out the lights on the franchise's hopes? Who's saying this? Some crazy-ass fan on a message board with some theory about whether Nashville is a viable place for hockey? No. Weber is. The guy who's wearing the C for the organization.

We don't know what Weber was offered. We don't know a lot of what led up to the offer sheet being made.

We do know he decided to run out on the organization on some flimsy excuse that he, in large part, created.

And that - losing TWO players after losing ONE caused the CAPTAIN of the organization to lose faith - may, indeed, kill the franchise fanbase in Nashville.

We'll see.

It's just not as clear cut as we as Flyer fans might like it to be.

@radoran

A depth faceoff guy and Kostistyen (sorry for the spelling massacre) is Nashville's commitment to winning while Erat and Legwand are their top forwards? That doesn't sound like a true commitment to winning.

Maybe you are right, it might not be that cut and dry, but don't you think its odd that 2 of Nashville's top 3 players couldn't wait to get out of town. So much so that they both signed contracts to leave within weeks of eachother after a season in which they publicly asked Nashville to show a commitment to winning.

Also, its been documented that Nashville offered Weber 4.5 mil Jake Voracek might get that.

I completely believe that Nashville is more to blame for losing these guys than anything else.

By the way, Nashville had pleny of assets and cap room and all they add is Gaustad, Radulov, and Kostitsyen (I am butchering this)?

I'm sorry rad, but I can't blame these two guys for being frustrated.

By the way I missed the "smell test" reference.

If we end up with nobody after all these offers, then I think we should overpay a bit to get a guy like Doan. He could be hugely important this year.

It's not the overpaying that scares me as much locking it in for 4 years, for a guy who will be 36 in a couple months. LTIR aside, there's only so much dead contract you can eat, in two years he could be sitting next to Pronger taking up a contract slot.

well, let's look at it...

Suter said he wants to test the market. Nashville says they want to make a run to convince players that they really are committed to winning. They make a commitment to their goalie, make a deal for a depth character/faceoff guy and bring in a Russian star (who averages a point per game in the playoffs and is *still* a distraction) - adding to the signing/trades for the Kostitsyns, the Preds make the playoffs and get to the Conference Semis for the second year with arguably their best team yet..

We don't know what they offered Suter. We don't know if Suter even came to them and said "here's what I'm getting offered."

So Suter goes. To Minnesota. Who hasn't made the playoffs since 2007-2008. Because Nashville "isn't committed to winning."

Does this pass your "smell test" because it stinks like high heaven to me. You know who doesn't seem "committed to winning" to me?

Suter.

Weber then decrees that Suter abandoning the team shows the team is not committed to winning and he wants to leave.

Really? One guy leaves and that's it - furn out the lights on the franchise's hopes? Who's saying this? Some crazy-ass fan on a message board with some theory about whether Nashville is a viable place for hockey? No. Weber is. The guy who's wearing the C for the organization.

We don't know what Weber was offered. We don't know a lot of what led up to the offer sheet being made.

We do know he decided to run out on the organization on some flimsy excuse that he, in large part, created.

And that - losing TWO players after losing ONE caused the CAPTAIN of the organization to lose faith - may, indeed, kill the franchise fanbase in Nashville.

We'll see.

It's just not as clear cut as we as Flyer fans might like it to be.

I think it comes down to Nashville being an "unsexy" hockey market. That area is college football all the way. Even the Titans are second imo. Suter goes to Minnesota that is a big time hockey town, and Weber wants to go to Philly which is a hockey crazed city as well. So even though Nashville is on the rise and is doing better, it doesnt have that hockey city glamour to it. So i think more then money, that is why Suter and Weber opted to take their talents elsewhere. And since one of them came here...screw it i am happy. But i see what you mean with the prima donna references lol

• Like 1

I guess my entire point is that though this move is ruthless, that is business and that is pro sports. And though it may lose Holmgrein some friends or whatever you want to say, Nashville really has to shoulder half of the blame for losing these guys.

The hot rumour is that the Flyers have Shane Doan in town for a visit. Do any of you agree that they are pursuing him just incase they have to trade one of their Forwards to Nashville and sweeten the pot for Weber to get here?

I think there is a very good chance that is the case.

tweets by Lisa Hillary:

"Doan's agent Terry Bross went on to say "first class organization" referring to the Flyers."

Doan's agent "Shane very much enjoyed the visit, we are still waiting to see if ownership gets resolved in AZ but wanted to visit"

I guess my entire point is that though this move is ruthless, that is business and that is pro sports. And though it may lose Holmgrein some friends or whatever you want to say, Nashville really has to shoulder half of the blame for losing these guys.

I am IN NO WAY criticizing the move as being "outside the rules" - although it certainly bends them and IMO is a clear attempt at "circumvention" but I see how rational minds may differ.

I am IN NO WAY absolving Nashville ownership and management.

I am saying that this has to stop.

Period.

I am IN NO WAY criticizing the move as being "outside the rules" - although it certainly bends them and IMO is a clear attempt at "circumvention" but I see how rational minds may differ.

I am IN NO WAY absolving Nashville ownership and management.

I am saying that this has to stop.

Period.

Ok. I do follow you. I agree that its a ruthless move.

• Like 1