This Has Nothing To Do With Nashville As A Hockey Market

Guest radoran

The NHL needs to figure out a better revenue sharing system. This up coming CBA might be a good place to start.

how about TV money;find a way to grow the brand so there is actually revenue to share. NBC has made a commitment to the NHL now it is up to the NHL to turn that into $. the advent of HD is the best thing to happen to the sport from a broadcast perspective.

the game doesn't need tinkered with much, uniform enforcement of the rules, a coherent supplemental discipline system.

i refuse to feel like my team is doing something bad or wrong by tendering an offer sheet to a this player, it is within the current cba rules. if the other gm has mishandled his players and not dealt with them in the manner others can and will, maybe someone else should be making those decisions and Dave should be head of scouting and player development.

homer's not going to take giroux to arbitration so the arbitrator can compare him to a player he has 3 x the skill and lowball the offer. that will not happen, and in weber's case it did, and suter was watching.

you're right this doesn't have everything to do with Nashville as a hockey market ,IMO it has to do with the abilities of the GM and how he's badly managed these two situations.

• Like 2

i refuse to feel like my team is doing something bad or wrong by tendering an offer sheet to a this player, it is within the current cba rules. if the other gm has mishandled his players and not dealt with them in the manner others can and will, maybe someone else should be making those decisions and Dave should be head of scouting and player development.

I am in no way saying that the team has done anything outside the rules

you're right this doesn't have everything to do with Nashville as a hockey market ,IMO it has to do with the abilities of the GM and how he's badly managed these two situations.

Show me how Ryan Suter is anything but a Prima Donna who wanted to get the biggest paycheck possible. Go ahead. I'll wait.

And, again, if the question was paying Shea Weber $7.8M a season for the next 14, that's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT QUESTION from the one being asked now.

And the Flyers would say "no."

It's the question of whether every team in the league has to be owned by a $86B company with $2.44B cash on hand in order to compete.

Thoughts?

The salary cap is supposed to prevent that rad and it works if you don't lowball your top players and let them get into situations where this can happen. Nashville had plenty of cap room the last few years.

The stuff that happens in baseball with the Yankees and them having their own tv network is worse than exploiting loopholes in the CBA to steal away a player that should have been locked up a year ago.

I would hate to see a trend develop here as well, but this is a risk of letting your best player and a player that is a superstar get to restricted free agency 2 years in a row without committing to him while lowballing him with an offer for 4.5 mil.

I realize you agree with that aspect.

I imagine you are advocating that things change in the next CBA to prevent this happening again in which case I wouldn't begrudge that at all.

Show me how Ryan Suter is anything but a Prima Donna who wanted to get the biggest paycheck possible. Go ahead. I'll wait.

I can't rad, i don't know what motivates him. I can surmise but i won't * know * .

i do not know how they tried to deal with suter, maybe he didn't like Nashville and was going to leave regardless of the payday.

i can point to the things i have written in other threads and a previous post in this one, Nsh, had a great chance this year to represent the west in the finals, they needed some scoring at the deadline and couldn't or wouldn't make the moves to get it, their system is full of good players that could have been used to bring in a guy to fill it up, but what they got was gaustad and gil, like i said gaustad i get but he's not a fill it up type guy, he's the character guy. they blew it there.

they had super bad luck with their russian players choding it up and not performing .

they took weber to arbitration instead of offering a serious deal to their captain and best player.

Nashville is in this situation with weber because they handled many things poorly.

• Like 1

The salary cap is supposed to prevent that rad and it works if you don't lowball your top players and let them get into situations where this can happen. Nashville had plenty of cap room the last few years.

The stuff that happens in baseball with the Yankees and them having their own tv network is worse than exploiting loopholes in the CBA to steal away a player that should have been locked up a year ago.

I would hate to see a trend develop here as well, but this is a risk of letting your best player and a player that is a superstar get to restricted free agency 2 years in a row without committing to him while lowballing him with an offer for 4.5 mil.

I realize you agree with that aspect.

I imagine you are advocating that things change in the next CBA to prevent this happening again in which case I wouldn't begrudge that at all.

There is no point in opposing a deal that is legal and has been accepted.

BTW, baseball is virtually unwatchable for the vast majority of the country. The NBA, too. True story.

I am saying that the league CANNOT allow this to continue and still be in any way, shape or form, the NHL we know and (begrudgingly) love today.

• Like 1

BTW, baseball is virtually unwatchable for the vast majority of the country. The NBA, too. True story.

I am saying that the league CANNOT allow this to continue and still be in any way, shape or form, the NHL we know and (begrudgingly) love today.

Still though the tv ratings for baseball are better than hockey aren't they? That is a whole different argument for a day when I have a laptop and not a droid. I do see your argument though rad.

And they don't have an $86B company with $2.44B in cash on hand behind them...

And that is why, despite having a salary cap, the playing field will NEVER be equal unless the NHL devises some type of equality revenue sharing. I'm not a money man so no, I don't have all the answers. I will totally agree that we are lucky and spoiled to have a team that is finacially very secure and an owner who is not afraid to open his wallet/checkbook.

Unless the new CBA address's this issue, the more finacially backed teams will always have an advantage. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but just the way it is. Trust me, if I am a Preds fan, I would be pi$$ed at both Poile and Nashville management for not locking up your star player and I would be double pi$$ed at the Flyers organization for offering such a ridculously high contract that in reality NSH really cannot match unless they want to hand ownership over to Weber.

I'm estatic at the prospect of seeing Weber in O&B this upcoming season, and how Homer basically outfoxed Poile and backed him into a corner. However, I can take off my Flyers glasses and see how others view what the Flyers did and be upset EVEN THOUGH what Homer did was totally within the rules of the current CBA.

It is definitely a high wire act that Homer is walking. But in the end...the bottom line is Homer (as GM) needs to make moves to improve his team and win the ultimate prize...the Stanley Cup. We are fortunate that he is not afraid to step on a few toes along the way.

Edited by pilldoc

Still though the tv ratings for baseball are better than hockey aren't they? That is a whole different argument for a day when I have a laptop and not a droid. I do see your argument though rad.

TV ratings for full contact backgammon are better than hockey. Ok, I'm exaggerating. Here are the 50 most watched sports events in 2012 (US viewers). The NBA is there. MLB is there. NASCAR is there. The NFL is all over the place there. The US Olympic gymnastics trials are there. College football, college basketball, golf, horse racing, all there. Guess what's not there? A hockey game! Any hockey game!

Edit: you probably wanted the list, huh?

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/07/halftime-the-50-most-viewed-sporting-events-of-2012-so-far/

Edited by JackStraw

@radoran

well, i've read here that the preds have a billionaire owner. should we just start and list every team ownership that has billionaire owners? and just how many billions they own? i mean, i grew up hearing that the world was not fair every chance my dad got. i never expect things to be fair and so far that's been proven true. they are not, but especially not in professional sports. i'm a democrat, i believe in healthcare for everyone, and puppies with butterflies on their noses for all to see. but, when it comes to sports, 'fair' just goes against all that is competition. the rules are what they are. the preds have been involved in making them what they are insofar as they've been an organization. within that time, the league has made changes to assist the smaller market teams to help.

obviously, it's not a perfect setup, but we have to go back again to the fact that nashville had the prior opportunity to try to commit to both of their FA D men prior to this off-season. THEY DID NOT. so let's not jump down homer and start looking at our guys as the big bad billionaire over-privileged club. THIS has less to do with how many millions as it has to do with the window of opportunity afforded to the flyers because nashville management didn't see fit to pay big name players their free market value.

and that's just the way it is sometimes. fair? fair shouldn't enter into this conversation.

• Like 2

TV ratings for full contact backgammon are better than hockey. Ok, I'm exaggerating. Here are the 50 most watched sports events in 2012 (US viewers). The NBA is there. MLB is there. NASCAR is there. The NFL is all over the place there. The US Olympic gymnastics trials are there. College football, college basketball, golf, horse racing, all there. Guess what's not there? A hockey game! Any hockey game!

http://www.sportsmed...of-2012-so-far/

Jack,

I took it one step furhter. There is a link at the bottom of your article for top 100 viewed sports events in 2011. I finally found hockey at #69. The only listing for 2011.

Wed., 6/15/11

NHL

Stanley Cup Final: BOS 4, VAN 0

NBC

Face it, for whatever reason, hockey is a hard sport to follow on TV. People just do not watch it.

I can't rad, i don't know what motivates him. I can surmise but i won't * know * .

i do not know how they tried to deal with suter, maybe he didn't like Nashville and was going to leave regardless of the payday.

i can point to the things i have written in other threads and a previous post in this one, Nsh, had a great chance this year to represent the west in the finals, they needed some scoring at the deadline and couldn't or wouldn't make the moves to get it, their system is full of good players that could have been used to bring in a guy to fill it up, but what they got was gaustad and gil, like i said gaustad i get but he's not a fill it up type guy, he's the character guy. they blew it there.

they had super bad luck with their russian players choding it up and not performing .

they took weber to arbitration instead of offering a serious deal to their captain and best player.

Nashville is in this situation with weber because they handled many things poorly.

Yep.

They had a chance(s) to lock up both Weber & Suter long-term prior to this & didn't do it. That was their choice.

They had a chance to have the best defensive pairing in the NHL for a long time (with THAT goalie!) and didn't do it.

Weber should have been the cornerstone of that franchise, but instead they treated him like they couldn't wait to show him the door.

Obviously they just plan to keep the pipeline going with their younger prospects. They are a "system" team (like moneyball, but in the NHL).

• Like 2

http://www.sportsmed...of-2012-so-far/

The TV ratings for the Flyers are pretty solid in Philly.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/07/halftime-the-50-most-viewed-sporting-events-of-2012-so-far/

Maybe if they didn't force that donkey-lipped jerk-off down our throats in America people would watch hockey more. He is not a hero outside of Pittsburgh. People want to see a competitive fair sporting event with consistent rules and consistent enforcement. They want to choose who to root for. The NHL has missed the boat on this as well.

• Like 3

Maybe if they didn't force that donkey-lipped jerk-off down our throats in America people would watch hockey more. He is not a hero outside of Pittsburgh.

lol...too funny...don't forget we now have to deal with that Mvp whiner..Malkinstein and that train wreck for a face......

Because this is a Hockey town.....I'm curious to see what the hockey ratings are in Nashville.......

That's my point. And that isn't our problem.

The Flyers weren't just "born" this way (for lack of a better term). Snider built this team & helped to grow a fan base that got us to this point.

Nashville has to figure out a way to do that for themselves too.

IMO, they just blew a golden opportunity to start down that road. (Should have locked-up Weber & Suter 2 years ago.)

They think that they are the Devils because they have Rinne. But the Devils were about Neidermeyer & Stevens just as much as Marty. (How many cups have they won since those two left? Nada.) They just watched their versions of Stevens & Neidermeyer walk out the door for next to nothing.

Not a smart way to build a team or a fan base.

• Like 1

That's my point. And that isn't our problem.

The Flyers weren't just "born" this way (for lack of a better term). Snider built this team & helped to grow a fan base that got us to this point.

Nashville has to figure out a way to do that for themselves too.

IMO, they just blew a golden opportunity to start down that road. (Should have locked-up Weber & Suter 2 years ago.)

They think that they are the Devils because they have Rinne. But the Devils were about Neidermeyer & Stevens just as much as Marty. (How many cups have they won since those two left? Nada.) They just watched their versions of Stevens & Neidermeyer walk out the door for next to nothing.

Not a smart way to build a team or a fan base.

Exactly..that would be like letting Bobby Clarke go before they won the stanley cup....(granted different time and era in the nhl) but still I get the idea.

It's the question of whether every team in the league has to be owned by a $86B company with $2.44B cash on hand in order to compete.

Thoughts?

Yes, to a large extent, and that won't change until the owners get NFL-style revenue sharing. That is greatly responsible for the parity that league has, and they have had tremendous success with that model.

• Like 1

Face it, for whatever reason, hockey is a hard sport to follow on TV. People just do not watch it.

Not that many people play it either (in the US). You can drive around almost any town in this country and see basketball rims in driveways and kids play basketball, soccer, football or softball in playgrounds. How often do you see kids playing street hockey? I live in the Boston area, a hockey hotbed in this country, but in the year that I've been here I have yet to see a street hockey game (I do know kids who play in organized ice hockey leagues, but that's expensive and time consuming for parents).

Bottom line (to me anyway)... hockey is a niche sport in this country, and will be for the foreseeable future. And I'm fine with that. If it means that some places can't have NHL teams, that's just the way it goes.

• Like 2

Exactly..that would be like letting Bobby Clarke go before they won the stanley cup....(granted different time and era in the nhl) but still I get the idea.

Like it or not, most of us don't just "root for the laundry." We become attached to specific players & think of them as "our guys."

If the Flyers just turned over the whole roster every 4 or 5 years, fans interest would suffer. (And so would winning.)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/28/nhl-leads-the-four-major-sports-in-championship-parity-over-the-last-12-seasons/

NHL leads sports in parity over the last 12 years. System is fine right now.