Please leave Couts, Vorcheck and Schenn out of any deal

Guest Pauliking

I know if we wind up making a trade with the Preds for the best D-man in the league we are going to have to give up something. I think it has to be centered around Read, Mez and the rest 1st round draft picks. I really do not want to rape this team of young talent for one player(although a great player). I have faith in Homer though.

• Like 2

Isn't Mez young talent? He was the Flyers best defensemen in 2010-11. Other than last year he is normally pretty healthy.

I think he is quickly forgotten but he logs a lot of minutes and when he does you hardly notice him. (A great thing for a dman).

Welcome to the board by the way.

Flyers are far from done and that scares me a bit. I have one of those feelings we are dealing young players to bring in two players. Doan and weber. The only way I include voracek in any trade would be for Ryan. We have the cap space available to resign everyone on our team and take on weber. I'm sure if we do get weber a dman us being moved however. Although by placing pronger on ltir at beginning of season and sitting schenn for a gm( removing his bonus for 82 gms ) and demoting shelly would free up roughly 7 mil. Voracek can get a 4 mil cap hit and mab would be less then a mil. So it would work I guess.

Thanks for the welcome Digity. I love Mez game. The only thing with him is his penalties but I take that anyday when you can come up with clutch goals which he seems to do. I have more value in Mes than I do Coburn and I like him too.

There are so many scenarios that can play out. The best thing to happen is Weber for the 4 picks or a few or a Dman with the picks. That way hopefully they can also package to get Ryan and maybe even have Doan sign. Then the cup with be ours.

Isn't Mez young talent? He was the Flyers best defensemen in 2010-11. Other than last year he is normally pretty healthy.

We just traded for Luke Schenn and if Webber is on board Mes becomes expendable. I would rather trade him than Voracheck or Courtier.

Flyers are far from done and that scares me a bit. I have one of those feelings we are dealing young players to bring in two players. Doan and weber. The only way I include voracek in any trade would be for Ryan. We have the cap space available to resign everyone on our team and take on weber. I'm sure if we do get weber a dman us being moved however. Although by placing pronger on ltir at beginning of season and sitting schenn for a gm( removing his bonus for 82 gms ) and demoting shelly would free up roughly 7 mil. Voracek can get a 4 mil cap hit and mab would be less then a mil. So it would work I guess.

Not sure the Flyers have that much time to wait till the start of the season to address a lot of the contracts. I don't think Schenn's bonus is that big of an issue considering they will probably waive shelley right away. As for Prongers LTIR might not make a difference till the trade deadline and that point we will have no first rounders or many picks left anyways to absorb players.

We just traded for Luke Schenn and if Webber is on board Mes becomes expendable. I would rather trade him than Voracheck or Courtier.

Why not Coburn though. If Mes was just considered our best Dman just over a year ago. Why value him so low just because he had an injury this year. He should be able to comeback with limited minutes to have a full recovery. I actually would rather have both.

Edited by danflyerfan

Why not Coburn though. If Mes was just considered our best Dman just over a year ago. Why value him so low just because he had an injury this year. He should be able to comeback with limited minutes to have a full recovery. I actually would rather have both.

Me too. But if i had to let one go it would be Meszaros. I don't undervalue him one bit though. He can be a very good Dman.

Me too. But if i had to let one go it would be Meszaros. I don't undervalue him one bit though. He can be a very good Dman.

i am a HUGE mesz fan

but if it meant we get weber i'd deal with it...

honestly would give them back coburn before mesz. coburn is weber-lite while mesz has a different skill set.

but that brings up the problem of the flyers trading away everybody as soon as they sign a contract which i don't want to see happening quite so often 0_0

Just traded for Schenn??? WTH are you talking about. We got Schenn because we neded a right handed shot, and because we have his brother. We are going after Weber because we need another right handed shot and he is the best dman in hockey,,,,Letting Mez going is redundant ....Getting a dman to let one go, its a lateral move...

@Philly29 "Letting Mez going is redundant ....Getting a dman to let one go, its a lateral move... "

Was just gonna post that. We finally get into a spot where the defense is as strong as it ever was...we *need* that in front of Bryz. If the plan is to load up the d in front of him, letting an experienced d-man go is not smart. Let's remember, we will encounter injuries also. I'd hate to see him go, but if we can center a deal around Voracek and leave the d alone, I'd be cool with that. I can see Nash wanting Mesz though, he can play the pp and right now, the Preds are looking at Josi and Ellis manning the top pp unit, talented kids, but just that....kids.

• Like 1

Courtier? I mean at least you spelled Voracek the way it sounds.

Sorry I'm not as smart as you when it comes to spelling peoples names. I will make sure to look their proper names up next time I post just for you. Ok?

Just traded for Schenn??? WTH are you talking about. We got Schenn because we neded a right handed shot, and because we have his brother. We are going after Weber because we need another right handed shot and he is the best dman in hockey,,,,Letting Mez going is redundant ....Getting a dman to let one go, its a lateral move...

Preds are not going to give the best D-man in the league away for nothing. Unless you want to part with the kid forwards you got to give up something. Schenn and Webb is a big upgrade over losing Mez.

• Like 1

@Philly29 "Letting Mez going is redundant ....Getting a dman to let one go, its a lateral move... "

Was just gonna post that. We finally get into a spot where the defense is as strong as it ever was...we *need* that in front of Bryz. If the plan is to load up the d in front of him, letting an experienced d-man go is not smart. Let's remember, we will encounter injuries also. I'd hate to see him go, but if we can center a deal around Voracek and leave the d alone, I'd be cool with that. I can see Nash wanting Mesz though, he can play the pp and right now, the Preds are looking at Josi and Ellis manning the top pp unit, talented kids, but just that....kids.

I hear you Jammer, letting Vorachek go though is a no no to me. We finally have a defense like you stated. Scoring last year wasnt a problem, we were the best in the sport in that area thats why I want us to improve the d and keep the offense as is. It would suck that we could not score worth a lick and our defense wears out because of it. Losing JVR really meant nothing beings he was never hear to begin with. I rather keep Vorachek then to go after Doan. Edited by Philly29

i am a HUGE mesz fan

but if it meant we get weber i'd deal with it...

honestly would give them back coburn before mesz. coburn is weber-lite while mesz has a different skill set.

but that brings up the problem of the flyers trading away everybody as soon as they sign a contract which i don't want to see happening quite so often 0_0

Please correct me if I'm wrong but Weber isn't as good as Coburn moving the puck up the ice.

To be honest, with Timo getting ready to retire or having his minutes seriously cut back, I'm not sure trading any 1-7 dman is the answer right now.

Weber - Mez

Coburn - Timo

Grossman - Schenn

MAB

That would leave Manning & Gus in the AHL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but Weber isn't as good as Coburn moving the puck up the ice.

To be honest, with Timo getting ready to retire or having his minutes seriously cut back, I'm not sure trading any 1-7 dman is the answer right now.

Weber - Mez

Coburn - Timo

Grossman - Schenn

MAB

That would leave Manning & Gus in the AHL.

Depends what you mean by "moving the puck up the ice". Coburn is a great skater who can skate the puck to the red line really fast and then dump it in. That's about the extent of his offense. Weber will generate more offense because he has real offensive skills, despite not being as fast as Coburn. That said, I would trade Mesz (who I like) before Coburn. Coburn is the team's best defensive defenseman. I don't want to lose him.

I can see Nash wanting Mesz though, he can play the pp and right now

What Nashville wants doesnt matter since the offer sheet. Im sure Homer sent them a list of players he would move. If they dont like the list all they can do is either match or dont match the offer and take the picks. Homer is in the drivers seat.

• Like 1

I'm not sure trading any 1-7 dman is the answer right now.

I agree with this. Let Nashville keep the picks or trade other prospects but leave the D intact.

Kimmo is retiring in a couple of years and either MAB or Gus have experience to step into the lineup. Injuries happen, etc. keep the depth on defense.

Is it 11:30PM on Wednesday yet? :-)

I agree with this. Let Nashville keep the picks or trade other prospects but leave the D intact.

Kimmo is retiring in a couple of years and either MAB or Gus have experience to step into the lineup. Injuries happen, etc. keep the depth on defense.

Is it 11:30PM on Wednesday yet? :-)

I know right? It's like waiting for Christmas morning, but a whole week.

Sorry I'm not as smart as you when it comes to spelling peoples names. I will make sure to look their proper names up next time I post just for you. Ok?

Actually, just don't act like an 8 year old snot nosed spoiled brat on this board and I'll be happy.

• Like 1

Everyone is putting MAB ahead of Gus. Am I the only one who doesn't think MAB is very good? He has some skill, but I thought he played fairly dead from the neck up. If you can sucker Nashville into taking him, do it.

That can be coached.