all the talk about a trade re: weber

Guest aziz

i'm really not understanding all the discussion about a trade on the side to facilitate the weber signing. i understand there is some idea of nashville saying they will match the offer unless the flyers can throw them a bone somewhere else...but...

the offersheet is HUGE money, and its HUGE right out of the gate. it is possible that predators management simply doesn't have the liquidity to fork over that amount of cash while comfortably maintaining a bottom line. regardless of what it means to lose weber for their organization going forward, it may mean worse to poney up that kind of money right now. if matching the offersheet means struggling to make payroll for the season, they may very well not have the luxury of worrying about the team's stature over the next 5 years.

additionally, this is a guy they had to take to arbitration last year, and who just accepted an offer from another team. the relationship there is dead, he wants out. does nashville really want to, again, dig that deep into their finances for a player who has no interest in playing there? is weber's mindset at this point what you want for your captain?

the flyers now have a bunch of defensive spare parts laying around; i can see holmgren tossing lilja and some other odds and ends to nashville in exchange for a 4th round pick or something. give them some warm-ish bodies to stand in for hockeyplayers on a now depleted blueline, but....i really don't see why holmgren would put together a big talent package to convince nashville to let this happen. there is the very real possibility that nashville can't stop it and remain financially balanced for the season, in which case poile would be bluffing when he says "i'll match it unless you...". beyond that, i'm not even sure it is a good idea for nashville to match it, given what weber's opinion of nashville obviously is. again, taken to arbitration, watched the team let big pieces walk, and now accepted an offer from elsewhere. not the best lockerroom material.

plus, even if the predators match, it seems to me the accomplishment of shutting down trade talks between nashville and other teams in the east is a big enough win to make this whole thing a net positive.

so. imo, holmgren, stand pat and let this play out. if you feel bad for them afterwards, send them some this-and-thats for future considerations, but put no talent on the table. there is no reason to. call poile's bluff. worst case, weber stays out of the east. best case, you add him to the team for cheap. don't add a third outcome where you add him to the team in exchange for a boatload of young talent. weber might be worth it, but there just isn't any reason to volunteer that.

@ I was mystified by the trade talk also....at first. The more I thought about it, the more sense it makes. As long as the price is not outrageous. It 100% secures you will get the best d-man in hockey. I would hate to lose him by refusing to package Voracek, Bourdon and 3 firsts or something to that effect. Your scenario does have some validity. They very well could fold and take the picks...but to be *so* close to owning such a prolific d-man, it would be heartbreaking to lose him over something that will inevitably become readily replaceable.

Totally different styles, but Weber would instantly become the best Flyer d-man since #2 donned the O&B...and when something *that* good comes into your crosshairs, you play out every conceivable angle to secure his services.

• Like 3

but put no talent on the table. there is no reason to. call poile's bluff.

i'm with you noodl, no talent from us in a deal for Weber so Dave Poile can save face. Let them have the pu-pu platter of our spare parts for future consideration but even then, they get to pick 8 times in the first round for the next 4 years, they'll get some players who can play and then they can not treat them right as nhl players and lose them again in 6 years.

however i do have a syntax issue; there is no reason NOT to call Poile's bluff, meaning we call his bluff and let Nsh take the picks. ;)

@jammer2

and i'd be ok with voracek, and bourdon for one of the flyers firsts to get it done. what I don't get are the talks about a package that would be market value for weber. holmgren's huge cohones in this have put the flyers in a position to add weber for way less than normal, and I think it critical to maintain that advantage. give up something, ok, but I want the robbery of the situation to still be there.

• Like 2

i agree.. we should, in no way at this point, be giving up any serious talent here. homer has pulled off a thing of genius here, but that genius would only become another possible mistake if he suddenly throws cooter or a schenn their way. there is just no reason to. this is high stakes poker and homer needs to call poile's bluff no matter what the cost.

i have to believe that homer already knows this being that he's basically looked poile in the face and said, 'i'm all in'. there's no reason to offer to run it twice now. tell him to fold or call. thats' it.

• Like 1

You also have to think Nashville would have EIGHT first round picks in the next 4 years. They could package half (or5) of them to another team to get a really good player meaning the Flyers should give up virtually nothing at this point, unless they need a salary dump.

• Like 1