Would be nice if...

Guest NCFlyer10

If the Flyers get Weber for the picks, then trade MAB , the rights to Voracek and possibly another d-men (Gus) for Ryan. This would give them a rw for Giroux, while shedding some salary to make room for Ryan and not getting rid of any O blue chips. This would still leave the D stacked, O would need to grow and improve from last year, but would look pretty good top to bottom. I think the numbers would be close though. MAB and Gus about a mil and half together, probably closer to 2 than a half, 3.5 mil for Voracek. Maybe I'm wrong it wouldn't work, but stranger things have happened. Would be nice if it was pulled off. Doan would work as well instead of Ryan, he would be about the same price, either would be nice. If this was discussed in any way, I apologize for the repost.

After seeing what the Ranger gave up to get Nash,it would seem acquiring Ryan and Webber might be a possibilty. What about Hartnell and Timmonen going back to the Preds? It worked with Ryan Parent. Acquiring Ryan is definitely worth some young Flyers.(nobody is sacred) Homer is on a roll,lets hope he continues.

@ I don't think Howsen's trade will set *any* kind of bar. He will be dismissed as an idiot and nobody will be able to claim "look at the Nash deal" in an effort to lower the trade value for a Ryan etc.

• Like 1

I think the Rangers gave up some really good players, unfortunately, that will drive up the price for Ryan. I hope they do not give up Hartnell and Kimo. I think both are an important piece to the puzzle. Kimo is a soldier and if Hartnell can do what he did last year with Giroux and Ryan, then I good with that. I really hope, as everyone else, Homer does not give up anyone on the forward side of things. MAB and Gus I'm good with, everyone else off limits. Won't happen, but is what I hope for.

@jammer2, I agree, but I do like Dubinsky, but MAB would be a good chip to trade. They will have a lot of D-men (Coburn, Meszaros, Kimo, Grossman, Schenn, and hopefully, Weber, and Gervais as the 7th) and can use him in a trade. What would be nice if they could pull this all off and still have Pronger's 4.5 left over. Then if someone gets hurt, they can call up Walker and Lilja if need be. I'm sure Lilja would be the first option, since Walker costs so much, but in a pinch, he might work.

Mesz Weber

Timonen Coburn (years of chemistry here)

Schenn Grossman

Try to keep the TOI equal across all three pairs, so all are at full burn come April. If Weber is traded, insert Grossman and move MAB next to Schenn. Gus IIRC is waiver exempt, so he's going to the AHL, period. Lilja rots.

The problem is, what to do with MAB if my original top six hold true. I doubt he slips through waviers, unless there's a provision for direct assignment to the AHL at the beginning of the season, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

@doom88 I really like the idea of a defensive d-man like Grossmann watching Luke's back. He could cover up a lot of deer in headlights mistakes (sorry Flyer fans, but I saw a lot of that last year!). Perhaps now that he has actual coaches, Luke will tighten up the mental errors. Lord knows, 4 years of Wilson would wreck ANY young d-man.

@jammer2, that's why I put Schenn with Weber, ala Pronger/Carle (I know this has been debated) to help Schenn out. Schenn is also a stay home D man and use Weber as the puck mover of the pair. Pronger may have not been the deciding factor with Carle, but may have helped him that first year and Carle took the step the then Mesz with Grossmann, because Grossmann is a stay home, and like doom said, Kimo/Coburn from past experiences. I think MAB will be used for a trade piece somewhere down the line.

As already noted, my idea does split up the righties, which is critical in my opinion. I also like the idea of using Timonen and Coburn together again, as I think chemistry is even more important than individual talent on the blue line - though talent is still quite important! Grossmann can cover for Schenn a little while he gets acclimated, without the potential intimidation of Schenn playing next to Weber. Hopefully all defenseman benefit with this spreading of talent.

I know he's young still, but Dubinsky sucks. Especially in a trade for a player the scope of Nash. CBJ were had, again. That was chitlins for premium thick cut applewood smoked bacon.

......mmmmmmm!

I like your pairing because we split up our right handers:

Mesz Weber

Timonen Coburn (years of chemistry here)

Schenn Grossman

At the same time putting Weber with Schenn would help Schenn out a lot in learning the finer points of the position,

I wanted this D pairing because...

Schenn/ Weber (Weber can join the rush; Lukey stay at home)

..............(40% TOI role) (First off youth and as Lavy likes to put youth to learn, Weber on the other hand to get his feet wet in the system and by the time playoffs role he would have cemented himself into the team)

Mesz/ Grossman (Mesz can join the rush; Grossy stay at home)

..............(35% TOI role) (Depending on Mesz's back, but still young)

Timonen/ Coburn (years of chemistry here; either or can join the rush)

..............(25% TOI role) (save them for possible heavy workload in the playoffs if other D have problems)

...but splittin' the righty's is a more practical offensive weapon and something we got exposed in the playoffs...

Legion I was thinking he same think, not really paying attention to the left right hand shot. When one out weights the other, splitting the right handed shot is better option, I kinda forgot about it since the Flyers have not had to many right handed shots lately if I remember correctly. I think doom is right on.

Legion I was thinking he same think, not really paying attention to the left right hand shot. When one out weights the other, splitting the right handed shot is better option, I kinda forgot about it since the Flyers have not had to many right handed shots lately if I remember correctly. I think doom is right on.

Up until last season when they acquired Kubina, they hadn't had a right handed shot since Desjardins.