My prediction on the Weber trade. Here's what happens

Guest Pauliking

The Flyers and Preds have been talking for some time now about a trade. The Preds have to show their fans they are still trying to compete while losing Weber. 4 1st round picks is not showing your fans you want to win now. I predict a trade goes down today or tomorrow. Here is my trade prediiction.

We send Voracek, Mez, and MAB to the Preds. In return we get two of our 1st round picks back. This not only gives the Preds some imediate help on the blueline but they also get a young good looking forward in Vorcek to play next season. Also, this is a way for us to free up some money by moving Mes and not resigning Vorceck. This will allow us to sign Shane Doan. Bank on it.

So this is basically replacing Pronger and Mezaros with Weber and Schenn (only talking about top 6 behind the blueline). We all know turning Pronger into Weber is not a bad thing, but Mezaros into Schenn? Is that an upgrade? Long-term, I think yes. But right now? What do you guys think?

I wouldn't send Meszaros in the deal, if there is one.

I think MAB is a solid prospect that is NHL ready. In fact, I really wouldn't want to send him either, but the nature of the game is give to get. Poile is a smart GM that built a great team with limited resources, he is not going to get bent over like Howsen. They (Nashville), and this is no insult to their fanbase rather a reality, are going to need a "star" to fill seats and move merchandise.

With that said, I would almost imagine a player like Danny Briere would have to be in the mix along with either Read/Simmonds, and MAB.

This is going to be interesting in the next day or so.

• Like 1

So this is basically replacing Pronger and Mezaros with Weber and Schenn (only talking about top 6 behind the blueline). We all know turning Pronger into Weber is not a bad thing, but Mezaros into Schenn? Is that an upgrade? Long-term, I think yes. But right now? What do you guys think?

See thats not how I look at it at all. We had no Pronger last year so we are adding Weber that's an upgrade. We also lost Mez for a long period of time and during the playoff's so adding a young talented Luke Schenn makes sense going forward. We still have Timmo, Couburn, etc.

I wouldn't send Meszaros in the deal, if there is one. I think MAB is a solid prospect that is NHL ready. In fact, I really wouldn't want to send him either, but the nature of the game is give to get. Poile is a smart GM that built a great team with limited resources, he is not going to get bent over like Howsen. They (Nashville), and this is no insult to their fanbase rather a reality, are going to need a "star" to fill seats and move merchandise. With that said, I would almost imagine a player like Danny Briere would have to be in the mix along with either Read/Simmonds, and MAB. This is going to be interesting in the next day or so.

I can't see us moving Brier.

I wouldn't send Meszaros in the deal, if there is one. I think MAB is a solid prospect that is NHL ready. In fact, I really wouldn't want to send him either, but the nature of the game is give to get. Poile is a smart GM that built a great team with limited resources, he is not going to get bent over like Howsen. They (Nashville), and this is no insult to their fanbase rather a reality, are going to need a "star" to fill seats and move merchandise. With that said, I would almost imagine a player like Danny Briere would have to be in the mix along with either Read/Simmonds, and MAB. This is going to be interesting in the next day or so.

I agree with you that I would rather keep Meszaros. MAB is a better option in my mind.

I also do NOT see Briere being moved as part of anything.

See thats not how I look at it at all. We had no Pronger last year so we are adding Weber that's an upgrade. We also lost Mez for a long period of time and during the playoff's so adding a young talented Luke Schenn makes sense going forward. We still have Timmo, Couburn, etc.

I agree that Weber is an upgrade for Pronger, but I think Schenn is more of a replacement/upgrade to Carle being lost than Mez. If Mez is part of that trade one of the young guys will need to fill that last spot on D as I don't trust Lilja. Either way though, I think we'll be just fine in the backend.

• Like 1

I agree that Weber is an upgrade for Pronger, but I think Schenn is more of a replacement/upgrade to Carle being lost than Mez. If Mez is part of that trade one of the young guys will need to fill that last spot on D as I don't trust Lilja. Either way though, I think we'll be just fine in the backend.

Yes...Schenn is better viewed as a replacement for Carle. I think we need to keep Meszaros.

I would be ok with getting 2-3 of the 1sts back, and giving up Voracek, MAB or Gus, and Lilja. Maybe Nashville will want a veteran thrown in? He wouldn't be the key to them, but could be a good ingredient.

So this is basically replacing Pronger and Mezaros with Weber and Schenn (only talking about top 6 behind the blueline).

Well, this would actually be even less because you are forgetting Carle. So in that sense, it would be basically converting Pronger, Meszaros and Carle into Schenn and Weber. I am ok with that. As much as I would hate to part ways with Mezsaros, I would be OK. But I don't want to lose MAB. There is no reason to give up a young, improving kid who can easily reach Coburn's level in 2-3 years. But I actually think he will be better. I think MAB can be of Suter's caliber.

Hell, there is no reason to give Nashville *any*body from the current roster. For Christ's sake, people, you have to understand the Flyers are in teh driver's seat. There is no obligation on their part to give up anything by the four 1st round picks. Nahsville they can either match or go home. Why is there a third option being even discussed? This team needs to improve its depth. You don't do it by trading players away. This is insane!

• Like 1

@maddog

I agree....but I guess everyone wants Weber so bad they are willing to make concessions......

FANTASY ALERT! ------- > Too bad we could not have signed Carle and then use him as trade bait to NSH! ;)

@pilldoc

Carle and a couple of picks in exchange for letting Weber go might have worked brilliantly. Flyers fans would have been screaming for the past few weeks that they overpaid Carle, but once the deal was done, Homer would once again be hailed as a genuis.

Damn, I like that scenario.

Yes...Schenn is better viewed as a replacement for Carle. I think we need to keep Meszaros.

I would be ok with getting 2-3 of the 1sts back, and giving up Voracek, MAB or Gus, and Lilja. Maybe Nashville will want a veteran thrown in? He wouldn't be the key to them, but could be a good ingredient.

I'm down with this. I'm not a fan of losing Mez,though some of the arguments made as to why he'd be expendable (like, how good is his back now) hold water.

With the D that we have, I'm not as concerned with watching MAB develop. He showed some good stuff when he first broke the lineup but mysteriously disappeared and my only guess then as to why was the coaches must not have seen enough. I wouldn't mind holding on to Gus but if he HAS to go then so be it. I also think its either or with Voracek and Read (who I know you didn't mention but that's howI feel), though I'm not thrilled about losing either one.

Edited by Spinorama

I agree completely with MadDog. There isn't a single reason make any trade at this point, at least until Nashville decides if the match or not. Trading Voracek a top 4 winger and Mez doesn't help the Flyers whatsoever.

Luke Schenn is not even close to Meszaros in all-around effectiveness, speed, grit, hockey sense, scoring potential ... L. Schenn is a watered down Derien Hatcher wannabe. Right now anyway. Maybe he gets better with his brother close by. Maybe getting out from under Wilson and the stink in Toronto ... all that will help. But till he puts together a season of good, shutdown D I think the book is wide open on what kind of "upgrade" Luke Schenn will be. If he's an upgrade at all.

[edit: But I'm glad we made the trade. Losing JVR was a good move - addition by subtraction. Maybe we could've gotten more but I'm okay with the deal, Schenn for JVR]

Edited by canoli

I just have a feeling Homer is going to feel the heat from the Rags trading for Nash. I can't see him not doing everything he can to land Weber. He can't afford to not get him at this point.

Again there will be no trades for Weber until Nashville decides to accept or not accept the offer sheet. Honestly to take on Weber's contract, and give up Mez, Jake, and anything else is not worth it. Let him stay in Nashville for the next 14 years. There are other D-men to pursue for that price.

With the D that we have, I'm not as concerned with watching MAB develop.

Well, I *am* concerned. The Flyers are infamous for their inherent and sickening inability to develop any defensive prospects in the most recent history. This failure is only second to their perennial futility with goaltending.

I guess one can mention Coburn as an exception, but he was essentially a developed player before he even got here. All he needed was playing time and a good defensive partner who he could learn from. Once he got it, he started fulfilling his potential.

Who else? The Flyers' blueprint when it comes to shoring up the defense is an ordinary one: either dip into free agency and overpay tremendously or bring someone via a trade. Other than that, all the team has to show for is a dissapointing cast filled with the likes of Bruno St Jacques, Ryan Parent, Jeff Wyowitka, Jim Vandermeer, Joni Pitkanen and Kevin Marshall.... to just name a few.

Let's also not forget that Timonen is pretty much on his last leg. Even if the Flyers do resign him after this year (which I think would be a big mistake), how many more semi-decent years do you think he has in him? He already starts showing signs of deterioration and it's only going south from here on forward.

So if what people are suggesting would materialize (I sure hope not) and we lose Meszaros, even with Weber, the defensive corps would start getting very thin with no really good prospects in the system.... maybe except for Gustavson. And I am very, very leery of Luke Schenn. I don't know.......I just don't have much faith in that kid.

They *finally* have a chance to do a good thing here with Bourdon. Why throw it out?

With that said, I would almost imagine a player like Danny Briere would have to be in the mix along with either Read/Simmonds, and MAB.

I would agree that they will want a couple of good NHL players but there's no way I would give them Simmonds, his upside is too great. I would much rather give up Read, though I like him, because he has great speed and quickness but is replaceable. I agree on trading Bourdon but I really think he has the ability to be a very good player. How about Wellwood instead of Bourdon? Isn't he still under contract?

• Like 1

@Flyers3217Cup

It would be nice to give them Read, especially since Simmonds could be a valuable replacement to Hartnell.

Wellwood is under contract till next July. He too is a good player. I just see that there is going to be a little give to get on the Flyers end.

So if what people are suggesting would materialize (I sure hope not) and we lose Meszaros, even with Weber, the defensive corps would start getting very thin with no really good prospects in the system.... maybe except for Gustavson. And I am very, very leery of Luke Schenn. I don't know.......I just don't have much faith in that kid.

They *finally* have a chance to do a good thing here with Bourdon. Why throw it out?

don't get me wrong, I don't disagree. I was trying to determine the lesser of the evils. I still was hoping that the Flyers could get away with just sending the picks but the more it is discussed, the more it makes sense that some sort of trade will probably occur as well. A problem I guess of liking almost everyone in the system. I'm not about to say "just give them Walker and Lilja" either 'cause that's just not realistic... but IF they'd take that? haha

The bottom line is Homer realizes that Pronger won't play again. If he was going to we would know it by now. Do you feel comfortable with the defense we currently have? I don't at all. We have a once in an every twenty year shot to land a top-notch defenseman who will be leading this team for a long time. You have to take that chance. As MadDog said (paraphrase) "I don't want to throw away a good player like Bourdon"(and there's other players I'd rather trade), but if it lands me Weber, I live with trading him.

Edited by Flyers3217Cup

The bottom line is Homer realizes that Pronger won't play again.

I keep hearing the possibility of Pronger actually returning next year is becoming more and more realistic, especially if the start of the season gets delayed.

And no, no links. Don't ask me for links. This is just the proverbial "word out on the street". Plus the local radio mentioned it several times over the last month.

Man........... would *that* be mudding waters or what.

• Like 1