Flyers were in on Nash as well

Guest brelic

According to sources (I believe Darren Dreger mentioned it on air yesterday), the Flyers felt they had a better offer on the table for Nash even if they were adamant in not including a center.

To me, that means Homer is pretty confident Nashville is not matching. I doubt he would be willing to part with all those roster players.

I think this might also mean that Ryan is not out of the question. If we get Weber for just picks (which looks like it could very well happen, see below), then we can use Jake/Mesz for Ryan.

The Atlantic is going to be exciting to watch but a pain in the ass!!

EDIT: Sorry, the snippet below is from Meltzer's blog.

Yesterday, TSN's Darren Dreger said that the sense he gets from around the NHL is that the Predators cannot/will not match the offer sheet. Then again, Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was on local radio yesterday defending himself for not signing Weber to an offer sheet because it's his opinion the Preds are forced to match. He also said Nashville was largely unwilling to discuss any sort of a feasible trade, despite the team's inability to get Weber signed long-term.

Of course, it could be argued that Gillis' comments were rather self-serving and perhaps even disingenuous. But the main point here is that opinions on the outcome of the Weber saga are still over the map in the hockey world.

@brelic

I am a little confused, does this mean the Flyers had a better offer than what was received for Rick Nash? Or they offed a good package to Nashville for Weber?

Hehe, sorry ;) Too many Nashes...

They apparently had an offer in for Rick Nash, which they felt was better than what CBJ got from NYR.

@brelic

I am a little confused, does this mean the Flyers had a better offer than what was received for Rick Nash? Or they offed a good package to Nashville for Weber?

it would be hard to NOT have a better offer than the rangers. geezus.. columbus had a better offer for Nash FCOL.

@brelic

Wow. No kidding? Seems like Homer had his hand in all the cookie jars.

Suter: massive offer

Parise: Massive offer

Nash: would love to know what the offer was

Weber: Massive offer sheet

That is a lot of action. I wonder if he does this yearly and we don't hear about it, or if Snider has given him an ultimatum to win or he is going another direction.

I would love to know if there was some sort of back office workings. As in, if Suter or Parise signed, or both, that would mean no Weber. I Nash was traded for, would they still go hard after Weber?

Or were feelers put out there driving up the price and Weber was the ultimate target?

Wow what a summer.

According to sources (I believe Darren Dreger mentioned it on air yesterday), the Flyers felt they had a better offer on the table for Nash even if they were adamant in not including a center. To me, that means Homer is pretty confident Nashville is not matching. I doubt he would be willing to part with all those roster players. I think this might also mean that Ryan is not out of the question. If we get Weber for just picks (which looks like it could very well happen, see below), then we can use Jake/Mesz for Ryan. The Atlantic is going to be exciting to watch but a pain in the ass!! EDIT: Sorry, the snippet below is from Meltzer's blog.

I predict if/when we land Weber we are going to sign shane Doan within the next 24 hours after the move. Watch

I predict if/when we land Weber we are going to sign shane Doan within the next 24 hours after the move. Watch

As long as it isn't for that 4 year/$30 mil that was rumored to have been offered to him by somebody a couple weeks ago, I'm good with that

@brelic

Wow. No kidding? Seems like Homer had his hand in all the cookie jars.

Suter: massive offer

Parise: Massive offer

Nash: would love to know what the offer was

Weber: Massive offer sheet

That is a lot of action. I wonder if he does this yearly and we don't hear about it, or if Snider has given him an ultimatum to win or he is going another direction.

I would love to know if there was some sort of back office workings. As in, if Suter or Parise signed, or both, that would mean no Weber. I Nash was traded for, would they still go hard after Weber?

Or were feelers put out there driving up the price and Weber was the ultimate target?

Wow what a summer.

I know! After last summer, I thought this one would be relatively quiet, but we're right there in on every big name.

At the end of the day, the Flyers lost out on the 2 big UFAs (Parise, Suter), lost out on Nash, so they made sure they sure as hell wouldn't lose out on Weber. They still could, but not to a rival.

And if you had told me last summer that Homer's first big move would be to sign Leighton as a back up, I would have puked.

• Like 1

And if you had told me last summer that Homer's first big move would be to sign Leighton as a back up, I would have puked.

And why did you not puke this year? I know the name "Leighton" makes me sick to my stomach.

And why did you not puke this year? I know the name "Leighton" makes me sick to my stomach.

I know he blew chunks in the Finals, but we don't get anywhere near that Finals without Michael Leighton.

I think everyone needs to cut the guy some slack already.

Well, I did puke this year ;) Point being, there was no way I would have believed that Leighton would be our backup.

Yet here we are.

@AndyS

There's some truth to that. In fact, Leighton had better (same GAA, better sv %) regular season and (much MUCH better) playoff numbers in that Cup run than Bryz did this past year with the Flyers.

The honest truth is that, to me, Bryz looked every bit as lost in his fundamentals last year as Leighton did. Slow lateral movement and reaction time (glove, stick), terrible puck handler, propensity for bad goals, etc.

But I'm not sure Leighton is what got us to the finals, so much as facing opponents who were offensively weak. The Habs couldn't score to save their lives, Boston took a bit blow when Richards knocked Krejci out, and don't forget the 3-spotter Leighton gave them in Game 7. The Devs had no firepower either. Only Chicago did, and we paid dearly for that.

Well, I did puke this year ;) Point being, there was no way I would have believed that Leighton would be our backup.

Yet here we are.

@AndyS

There's some truth to that. In fact, Leighton had better (same GAA, better sv %) regular season and (much MUCH better) playoff numbers in that Cup run than Bryz did this past year with the Flyers.

The honest truth is that, to me, Bryz looked every bit as lost in his fundamentals last year as Leighton did. Slow lateral movement and reaction time (glove, stick), terrible puck handler, propensity for bad goals, etc.

But I'm not sure Leighton is what got us to the finals, so much as facing opponents who were offensively weak. The Habs couldn't score to save their lives, Boston took a bit blow when Richards knocked Krejci out, and don't forget the 3-spotter Leighton gave them in Game 7. The Devs had no firepower either. Only Chicago did, and we paid dearly for that.

The Blackhawks were the better team. But not by much, and not in the net.

How many shutouts did Leighton have in the playoffs? Five? (I don't remember, but it was a bunch.)

Leighton did more than many in the playoff run. That is a fact. And people should get off his back.

@AndyS

It's not just his performance in the finals. The guy is terrible. He has been passed over by every other team in the league yet the Flyers keep coming back for more. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not saying that he's the next Tim Thomas (i.e. late bloomer). Just saying that he had a really good run with the Flyers that year & in the playoffs.

Without Leighton, we're not even in the playoffs. And we're certainly not in the Finals.

The Blackhawks were the better team. But not by much, and not in the net.

How many shutouts did Leighton have in the playoffs? Five? (I don't remember, but it was a bunch.)

Leighton did more than many in the playoff run. That is a fact. And people should get off his back.

The Hawks/Flyers series was very similar to the Pens/Flyers series we just witnessed. Bryz was the 'better' goalie, but only because Fleury was atrocious.

As for shutouts, yes, I think he did have 5 or so, and 3 in the Habs series. I don't want to diminish that, but IIRC, in one of those games against the Habs he faced 14 shots from what was an anemic offense. The only reason - and I really mean the only reason - the Habs were even there was because of Halak. He was incredible. Their defense did block a ton of shots, but man, he really stood on his head and put on a clinic.

At the end of the day, Leighton is not a terrible goalie. He's probably fine in a backup role - somewhere else. It's hard to swallow in Philly because of what should have been.