Team D Without Weber

Guest radoran

Now that Weber never will have was been, where do we find the Flyers defense?

At the end of last season we had under contract/RFA:

Timonen-Meszaros-Carle-Grossmann-Coburn

with MAB, Gus and the omnipresent Lilja

(and Matt Walker, The Invisible FlyerTM)

It appears the Flyers will start this season with:

Timonen-Meszaros-Schenn-Grossmann-Coburn

with Gervais, MAB, Gus and the omnipresent Lilja

Overall, I think this is a pretty solid group. Maybe lacking some offensive flair, which we did see in small doses from MAB/Gus and could develop. I think Meszaros' skills are undervalued in this area a bit.

There are some roster/waiver questions surronding the 6/7 spots (Lilja is on the cap regardless - but does not have to keep a roster spot if one of the younger kids might benefit from more NHL time given the waiver situation). Perhaps a trade of Lilja to... anywhere?

Losing Weber may not be the beginning of the end of the world. But it just might be the end of the beginning of next season.

Are we 100% sure Pronger is finished?

I think it's pretty evident the team is acting as if that is the case (the fire sale if they had to fit Pronger after signing Weber wouldn't have been pretty).

I suppose it is possible he comes back, but I'm doubting it until it happens.

Now that Weber never will have was been, where do we find the Flyers defense?

At the end of last season we had under contract/RFA:

Timonen-Meszaros-Carle-Grossmann-Coburn

with MAB, Gus and the omnipresent Lilja

It appears the Flyers will start this season with:

Timonen-Meszaros-Schenn-Grossmann-Coburn

with Gervais, MAB, Gus and the omnipresent Lilja

Overall, I think this is a pretty solid group. Maybe lacking some offensive flair, which we did see in small doses from MAB/Gus and could develop. I think Meszaros' skills are undervalued in this area a bit.

There are some roster/waiver questions surronding the 6/7 spots (Lilja is on the cap regardless - but does not have to keep a roster spot if one of the younger kids might benefit from more NHL time given the waiver situation). Perhaps a trade of Lilja to... anywhere?

Losing Weber may not be the beginning of the end of the world. But it just might be the end of the beginning of next season.

rad - this group is really a big question for me... I like Mezz (if healthy), Grossman, and Coburn but have concerns about Timmo's minutes and well, quite frankly, his age. He looked cooked at the end of last season. the potential for Schenn is there but he looked lost a lot last year. Maybe playing with KimmoTimmo will help get his play straightened out and it is nice to have a right handed shot.

my fear here is that this defense is worse than last year in front of a headcase for a goalie. Honestly, I just do not think this defense will get it done.

hope I am wrong...

rad - this group is really a big question for me... I like Mezz (if healthy), Grossman, and Coburn but have concerns about Timmo's minutes and well, quite frankly, his age. He looked cooked at the end of last season. the potential for Schenn is there but he looked lost a lot last year. Maybe playing with KimmoTimmo will help get his play straightened out and it is nice to have a right handed shot.

my fear here is that this defense is worse than last year in front of a headcase for a goalie. Honestly, I just do not think this defense will get it done.

hope I am wrong...

I am pretty much in the same boat. I am not sure what to expect out of this group. There are so many questions... How much Timonen has left in the tank? What shape is Meszaros in when he comes, considering he hasn't played since when.... February? Is MAB ready to step in and start playing a big role? Where the offense will come from? WHat to expect out of Luke Schenn?

The Flyers have been absolutely KILLED and OWNED by the Rangers last season. And now that the got Nash, I just don't see how the Flyers can even compete with them, to tell you the truth.

• Like 1

I am pretty much in the same boat. I am not sure what to expect out of this group. There are so many questions... How much Timonen has left in the tank? What shape is Meszaros in when he comes, considering he hasn't played since when.... February? Is MAB ready to step in and start playing a big role? Where the offense will come from? WHat to expect out of Luke Schenn?

The Flyers have been absolutely KILLED and OWNED by the Rangers last season. And now that the got Nash, I just don't see how the Flyers can even compete with them, to tell you the truth.

totally agree Maddog..the Rags totally owned us and they would have gone further in the playoffs if they had goal scoring..now that they have Nash they are legit cup contenders..

our team actually got worse

our team actually got worse

I have to agree... The team lost Jagr, JVR, and Carle in exchange for Fedotenko and Luke Schenn.

So far it's just not looking good at all, and the worst part is that there is not much the Fleyrs can do to improve. They don't have many pieces to trade to improve via a trade, and there is just nobody worth getting excited about in the free agency. I am afraid the team we see now is pretty much teh team that will start the 2012-2013 season (assuming there *is* a season).

@ OC and MD... when you look at this Team on paper compared to last year you have to think they are worse off than last year. If not, you are completely drinking the O&B KoolAid. That does not mean they will be but this defense does not inspire confidence. Bryz - well, enough said! Whi the hell knows... Carle leaving makes it worse and I am a hater of that turnover machine but he could eat minutes. Timmo needs less WAY less minutes to make it to the end of the season and playoffs with the hopes of having any gas in the tank.

Let's hope Luke Schenn can finally turn around his play... yes, he can hit but he was not very good the last two years. Here's hoping to benefit from a change of scenery!

I have to agree... The team lost Jagr, JVR, and Carle in exchange for Fedotenko and Luke Schenn.

So far it's just not looking good at all, and the worst part is that there is not much the Fleyrs can do to improve. They don't have many pieces to trade to improve via a trade, and there is just nobody worth getting excited about in the free agency. I am afraid the team we see now is pretty much teh team that will start the 2012-2013 season (assuming there *is* a season).

and I also we traded Bob and got Leighton which is another downgrade..imo

• Like 2

@ OC and MD... when you look at this Team on paper compared to last year you have to think they are worse off than last year. If not, you are completely drinking the O&B KoolAid. That does not mean they will be but this defense does not inspire confidence. Bryz - well, enough said! Whi the hell knows... Carle leaving makes it worse and I am a hater of that turnover machine but he could eat minutes. Timmo needs less WAY less minutes to make it to the end of the season and playoffs with the hopes of having any gas in the tank.

Let's hope Luke Schenn can finally turn around his play... yes, he can hit but he was not very good the last two years. Here's hoping to benefit from a change of scenery!

I'm hopeful about Schenn but at best he's going to be a 5/6 dman..he's really nothing special...

I'm hopeful about Schenn but at best he's going to be a 5/6 dman..he's really nothing special...

I disagree.

I think we are all going to become big fans of Luke Schenn. He will easily be a top-4 d-man for the Flyers.

• Like 1

I disagree.

I think we are all going to become big fans of Luke Schenn. He will easily be a top-4 d-man for the Flyers.

I hope you are right but after watching a ton of Laffs games last year there is no way LS is going to be a top 4 this year.... He can hit and has a right handed shot... otherwise, his defense has been suspect for the past two seasons. Carle is a better defensemen now that LS is IMO... and I can not stand Carle (for the money and terms he was given by the Bolts)

I love your optimism but realistically this defense is not as good as last years group.

@AndyS

Andy, you are known as an optimist. And I respect that. I mean I do. This is a good quality. And as a Flyer fan, I hope you turn out to be right on the money about this defense and about Luke Schenn in particular. But in all honesty, how can you not feel concerned about this group, especially in the context of this group playing in front of Bryzgalov?

If you are an Atlantic division team - even the Islanders - does the Flyers' defense, headed by Bryzgalov, instill much fear in you?

Edited by Mad Dog