reaction out of Pittsburgh

Guest Irishjim

Flyers took a step or two back, the Pens took a step back, the Devils took a step back, the Islanders..., the Rangers took a big step forward.... godamitsomuch.

And the Rangers, with Lundquist in goal, were already a step or two ahead of everyone else.

And the Rangers, with Lundquist in goal, were already a step or two ahead of everyone else.

Especially consdering the fact they totally owned us last year even *before* they got Nash. Gaborik slated to be out for a while is the only consolation, I guess...

• Like 1

@OH1FlyersFan

So far the Rangers are quietly winning the offseason. The Flyers made some big bold attempts, and the JVR/Schenn trade looms potentially large, but all they have really done is cost other clubs a bunch of money. Which is somewhat cool.

I'm curious how the Blue Jackets let themselves get hosed so badly.

@OH1FlyersFan

I am wrecking my brain over this too. My only explanation is the Jackets gots the 1st round pick *and* the players. Don't look now, but for the rebuilding, young team, this is huge. Perhaps other teams were not willing to include the #1 pick as part of teh package.

If that's not it, I can't rationalize the Jackets' decision... I mean Anisimov and Dubinsky are not complete rubbish, but sheesh......

@Mad Dog I believe Scott Laughton, MAB, Voracek and a 1st rounder would have been a MUCH better package than the NYR coughed up. I would have done that deal, Giroux would have a star winger for the rest of his career. I'm pretty pissed about all this. Was Homer even called? Why no Kreider or McDonaugh....why did Howsen want our young studs but the NYR get to keep theirs?!?!?

• Like 1

Flyers took a step or two back, the Pens took a step back, the Devils took a step back, the Islanders..., the Rangers took a big step forward.... godamitsomuch.

I do not think the Pens took a step back. They got Sutter and a good dman (forget his name) and a first rder and with it drafted very well this year, plus a healthy Crosby I think they got even better....saying that makes me phucking sick to my stomach. There defence will be very good this year.
  • Like 1

@Mad Dog I believe Scott Laughton, MAB, Voracek and a 1st rounder would have been a MUCH better package than the NYR coughed up. I would have done that deal, Giroux would have a star winger for the rest of his career. I'm pretty pissed about all this. Was Homer even called? Why no Kreider or McDonaugh....why did Howsen want our young studs but the NYR get to keep theirs?!?!?

I suppose... But...... People seem to overlook that Dubinsky has a potential to score 30 goals easily when put in the right position. And he will stir things up and won't back down from anybody. He will continue having an avergae of 90 PIM easily each yer, and scoring points at the same time.

Also, reading multiple sites, I keep hearing that Anisimov's potential is pretty untapped. Here is the other guy who was not given much of an opportunity to flourish in Tortorella's system. On a team where he had a limited role, he scored 44 and 36 points, respectively. These are good stats considering he was a 3rd line center and was tossed around by Torts like a straw.

So at the end, I can't really blame Columbus for grabbing Anisimov hoping they can put him in a posiiton to succeed and then suddenly they have several guys who collectively replace Nash's production.

Now, let's look at the players you are mentioning.

Voracek. Keep in mind that the Jackets are well familiar with Jake's abilities. They drafted him and tried to develop him for 3 years. Did they give up on him too soon? Did Hitch screw his growth? Maybe. All these are possibilities. But one thing I am certain of is *if* the Flyers and Jackets in fact discussed the trade, and the Flyers offered Jake as part of the deal, Hawsen probably discussed it within the team and they must've decided they don't want to have Jake back on the team and would rather have the Flyers offer someone else. That someone else could've been B Schenn, and the Flyers probably said no.

Bourdon. I think he will be great. I really like what I see in him. And I am glad he is *still* with the team and will get a chance to play a big role. But let's be realistic; he is very unproven...... he is more established than Tim Erixon, but not by much. The Flyers would have a hard time selling Hawsen on him.

Laughton. Even more unknown than Bourdon. Nobody has any idea what kind of player Laughton can become. He would be a huge gamble.

So by the end of day, if I am Hawsen and I have the Flyers' offer (MAB, Laughton, Jake and 1st) and the Rangers' offer (Dubinsky, Anisimov, Tim Erixon, and the 1st), honestly.......... I am taking the Rangers' offer without even thinking twice.

When the trade was first announced, I thought it was a joke also. But the more I think about it, the more I see this is not such a bad trade for Columbus as first thought of.

@Philly29 I think short term to Pens will miss Stall. They do have the offensive depth to overcome the loss, but his grit will hard to replace. Simply put, he made the Pens tough to play against. Long term, adding two studs like Pouliot and Ollie Matta will more than make up for the loss of Stall. The Pens defense is gonna be very good for a long time once these kids hit the ice in a few years. Any time you add 1/3rd of your starting defense in one draft year, you did quite well.

• Like 1

@jammer2

Yeah, you may very well be right. None of us really know if the players that the Jackets got will pen out. But I will say I am pretty happy Jake and Bourdon are still with the team.

I was trying to soften the pill of losing on Weber. lol

@OH1FlyersFan

So far the Rangers are quietly winning the offseason. The Flyers made some big bold attempts, and the JVR/Schenn trade looms potentially large, but all they have really done is cost other clubs a bunch of money. Which is somewhat cool.

I wonder if Nash had much more control over where he went... as in, limiting his list to the Rags and maybe one other team, which diminishes Columbus' leverage.

I know he has a NTC or NMC, just not sure exactly what was stipulated in there.

@Irishjim Good one man... LOL Funny...

@Mad Dog I agree.. I would take the Rangers deal over MAB, Voracek and Laughton. Hands down not even close.

As for my Pens taking a step back? I disagree. They will be tougher to beat with Sutter in there on the third line than Staal. Staal was NOT tough to play against for opposing forwards with any kind of consistency. He NEVER hit, he rarely backchecked with any kind of effort.. was out of position a lot... frankly, I think he STUNK defensively. Overrated to an extreme. Great offensive talent, great reach.. a lot of big pluses, but not defensively.

Sutter won't be like that. Sutter WILL shut down offensive players from other Clubs an give 100% effort doing so. He embraces his work that way, and only scored 8 less goals than Staal with a lot less playing time. He's not the offensive talent Jordan was... but he is a better defensive talent. and THAT is what you really was from #3 centers.

I really think if you guys saw Staal all the time, you'd see what I mean about him being soft defensively.

"I really think if you guys saw Staal all the time, you'd see what I mean about him being soft defensively."

Um, he's a division rival. I'm thinking you're selling him short, because he's now an Ex-Pen..Stall was a beast defensively...put any spin you want on it, the Pens are a easier team to play against now. If he had so many shortcomings, why did Shero offer him a 10 year deal?????@Polaris922

"I really think if you guys saw Staal all the time, you'd see what I mean about him being soft defensively."

Um, he's a division rival. I'm thinking you're selling him short, because he's now an Ex-Pen..Stall was a beast defensively...put any spin you want on it, the Pens are a easier team to play against now. If he had so many shortcomings, why did Shero offer him a 10 year deal?????@Polaris922

@jammer2: I certainly see where you're coming from. I do, however, have to defend Polaris on this one a little in terms of the "Ex-Pen" comment, if for no other reason than he has been saying that Staal is/was overrated defensively since before any trade ever occurred. I also think that a lot of people will be surprised at how well Sutter fills that role... or at least the role that Staal used to fill before 87 was out for an extended period and he got more of a taste of the offensive game. In any case, I don't have any ill will toward Staal for wanting a bigger role. I'm also happy with what the Pens got back. Time will tell how it all works out. Now, if we could just get rid of Martin... :ph34r:

I've never thought Staal lived up to his rep. I've watched game after game of lazy, sloppy defense from him. He'll make a GREAT number two center in Carolina, as he would have here if we weren't already full up there. He's just not the defensive gem he's been sold to be. I think you'll see we're tougher with a defense first third line center. Oh... I met Staal once. Great personality, super nice guy. Drove a tinted out range rover and had subway cashiers bring his sandwiches out to his truck to avoid any fans pestering him. Lol.

Staal was NOT tough to play against for opposing forwards with any kind of consistency. He NEVER hit, he rarely backchecked with any kind of effort.. was out of position a lot... frankly, I think he STUNK defensively.

Man you whip him hard. +53 after 6 year in the NHL. You know him better than I. Perhaps at the end of the day, he was short straw at center and really would be better in a more "offensively" led center role than a "checking" center role. Either way, I have always like his game. I don't like it for 6m worth right now, but time will tell. He is 23 years old.