reaction out of Pittsburgh

Guest Irishjim

I've never thought Staal lived up to his rep. I've watched game after game of lazy, sloppy defense from him. He'll make a GREAT number two center in Carolina, as he would have here if we weren't already full up there. He's just not the defensive gem he's been sold to be. I think you'll see we're tougher with a defense first third line center. Oh... I met Staal once. Great personality, super nice guy. Drove a tinted out range rover and had subway cashiers bring his sandwiches out to his truck to avoid any fans pestering him. Lol.

So you delivered his sandwich to him........nice..... :P

@Vanflyer

Great offensive talent really... I loved his short hand potential with his reach and skating. Not trying to take away anything from his talents offensively OR defensively when he tried. He was just as likely to coast and be behind the play as GE was to back check and get into it though.

@Bertmega

He had a great year that year, and though I think it was still more hype and there were more deserving guys overlooked that season, it was his best defensive season. But that was the 09 - 10 season.. He doesn't get a free pass on the next two seasons for it.

@flyerrod

Haha! One of my coworkers saw the exchange at the window and thought it was a drug deal. He pulled Staal over and doesn't follow hockey so he didn't know who he was. Don't ask me how he didn't at least recognize the name. When Staal said he gets it at his window to avoid being swamped by fans, my coworker said "Oh so I'm supposed to believe you're some kind of celebrity or something?". Lol. *sigh*

Agreed. But do you really think Columbus fits that description?

Hi Rux! How are you pal!

By the "right position" I mean being a go-to player who logs a lot of ice time.

In New York, Dubinsky and even more so Anisimov, were playing second fiddles to Richards, Callahen and Gaborik. And with quick emergence of Derek Stepan, it became especially problematic for Dubinsky to secure any meaningful ice time or put himself in a posiiton where he could've contribute. He went from 54 points in 2010 to 34 points in 2011, while having played exactly the same number of games (77). 22 points drop!!!!!!!! How else would explain such a dramatic drop in produciton?

I wantched plenty of Rangers games last year, and Dubinsky became a total non-factor there. Tortorella tried to use him at a wing and he didn't adapt too well. Then they moved him to a third line and he didn't do too hot there either. They had to switch lines to find the right spot for Dubinsky and it all seemed for naught. They also reduced his minutes on PP almost to zero, which also contributed to his demise.

That's why I think - and I might very well be totally wrong - that even on a crappy team like Columbus, when you log significant ice time, you almost have no choice but produce.

So I can see that this may be how the Jackets are thinking, while with Voracek you pretty much know what they would be getting. Like I said, they had Jake in the system for 3 years. Right or wrong, but he didn't completely live up to what they hoped he would become for them.

@Mad Dog

Hey MD. Doing well....I mean, still breathing, anyway.

I actually like Dubinsky and think a change of scenery will do well for him. By that, I mean a change from Columbus. The place is a cess pool. The Buckeyes are big there, apparently, but other than that...