How "upset" is Weber right now?

Guest TedZep

I doubt that he would express much in public, there's no reason to piss off his team. And $110 million goes a long way towards making him feel better, but he wanted out of Nashville, he wanted to play for the Flyers, and now he is stuck for at least a year in purgatory.

Nashville was unreasonable and Columbus was a punk.

Honestly Ted... Weber never said he did not want to be in Nash... it was all his agent posturing like an agent should. He could have very well wanted to stay there the whole time honestly... either way, he is stuck there now. He should know that is part of the risk signing an offer sheet so he had to know there was some chance he could be there a long time.

I doubt that he would express much in public, there's no reason to piss off his team. And $110 million goes a long way towards making him feel better, but he wanted out of Nashville, he wanted to play for the Flyers, and now he is stuck for at least a year in purgatory.

his agent has already spoke and he just described it as 'taken by surprise' because they just assumed they wouldn't hear anything until tomorrow. but, i mean... it was pretty obvious this was NOT the decision they were looking for. no one will ever say it, but it's pretty clear.

oh well.. i'm sure shea will feel much better when they hand over that, what is it?, $16m bonus check that he's immediately due.

I was listening to a radio sports show out of Toronto...can`t remember the name right now. They talked to a minority owner named Wilson who is sometimes on the TV show Dragon`s Den which is the Canadian version of The Shark Tank. He said that it was never in doubt that they would match it, and with Suter not signing with them it made it even more of a sure thing that they would sign Weber. He said at one point Nashville offered Weber 104 million, so really they weren`t that far out of the ballpark. I feel better knowing that we never had a chance to begin with.

@Bakanekimiwa

So it may be assumed that "per the agent", the Nashville brass didn't give Weber a call and feel him out. I know these guys are no better than meat, bought and sold, but it's a bit different when you are selling your studs (ala Richards and Carter) and don't have to worry about lash back (other than late night calls "Guess who is drinking from the Cup tonight?") as opposed to reminding those uppity servants who really owns their rights.

Weber knew it was a 50/50 shot (not weighting the odds, just that it was between two teams) that he would stick in Nashville. Poile put himself on the hot seat saying he would match any offer. He had to gulp and put his franchise in the red or look like a punk. You, me, the Flyers, Shea Weber, would all rather wish he swallowed that pride and took the picks and kept his club solvent.

I am a software analyst by trade. If a competitor was going to quadruple my salary and my company matched, I would consider it the best of both worlds. I remain in a place where I am comfortable and respected and I am making some serious cash! I would say I would be happy.

I know it isn't the best analogy

• Like 1

I think assuming he is unhappy is tinted lenses my friends. His agent did what agents do. For every story that said he wanted out there was a story saying he was just forcing a bigger payday. Either way... The only one who will ever know for sure is Shea Weber.

I know it isn't the best analogy

But it is a very accurate one. It's sort-of like the counter-offer. My most-recent former manager always declined to make a counter-offer, saying that once an employee moves out the door to take a better deal elsewhere, that's it. The only counter-offer I ever received after resigning validated my exit... I was already grossly underpaid (based on market) and they offered me a whopping $1200 extra (per year) to stay.

• Like 1

If that is true, then he would be playing for the Flyers this coming season, no? I'm not CBA expert, but he still has to accept the contract. Right?

@fanaticV3.0

Philly signed him to the offer. Nashville still owned his rights, therefore, just had to match an already signed offer.

I thought when RFAs sign with another team the new team has to pay up in the form of draft picks or something? Not that the players is simply not allowed to sign witht he new team.