Should Homer have made it "impossible to match?"

trevluk

I love the move Homer made, but could he have thrown a little more at it to land Weber? I think 7.8 million is probably close to fair market value for Weber which I think made it easier for Nashville to justify matching the offer. Should Homer have thrown something like 15 years at 9 mil and again have it be very front loaded to really dissuade Nashville from matching? Not only would it make it harder for Nashville to match, but it also wouldnt look as bad for them if another team was willing to pay well over market value for Weber and they couldnt justify matching it.

I think one year at 27 million is pretty much doing what you are saying... I dont think Homer is at fault by any means. He made a ridiculous offer and the Preds matched. Keep the team as it is now and go into next season w/ a good amount of cap room. Perry, Getz, etc... although, we really need to acquire a d-man.

Otherwise, you are only left w/ trading Couts and Schenn to sweeten the deal which both players, IMO, are untouchable.

Should Homer have thrown something like 15 years at 9 mil and again have it be very front loaded to really dissuade Nashville from matching?

...having a tough time seeing that as worth it. then you have a $9mil cap hit on a guy until he's, what, 41?

for the next several years, the flyers have bryzgalov, which means weber is a pointless expendature. things change when bryzgalov is finally gone, 4, 5, 6, 7 years from now, and a stud dman would have a chance to put the flyers over the top, but at that point, weber is 30, 31, 32, 33...and who knows what happens between then and now. blow a knee, it never fully heals, he limps his way into his mid-30s as a mildly effective 3-4 guy with a $9mil cap hit.

the more i think about it, this was the best outcome. the flyers' window is closed for the next several years, and any moves should be made targeting it's reopening post-bryzgalov. those 4 picks end up being more valuable than weber would have.

the more i think about it, this was the best outcome. the flyers' window is closed for the next several years, and any moves should be made targeting it's reopening post-bryzgalov. those 4 picks end up being more valuable than weber would have.

Sad, isn't it? I mean I agree with you, but do people actually grasp the whole solemnity of this? Pretty much *nothing* the Flyers do right now (or as you said for the following two years) can really outweigh or void the fact that we are stuck with Bryzgalov and his horrendousness.

To negate or compensate (I can't even come up with the right word) for Bryzgalov's shortcomings, this team would need THREE Shea Webers (one per each defensive pairing) or play virtually impeccable, faultless team defense to cover for him.......... which is impossible to do because then you would have a team of androids, not humans.

I guess it's somewhat conceivable that he turms his career around and comes up with a jaw-dropping season next year, making us all look foolish. But frankly...... can you see that? I can't.

Edited by Mad Dog

I guess it's somewhat conceivable that he turms his career around and comes up with a jaw-dropping season next year, making us all look foolish. But frankly...... can you see that? I can't.

If 2.5/.910 doesn't get it done (yes, he needs to be more consistent) then nothing really will.

If you can't win with your goalie putting up 2.5/.910 you can't win.

• Like 1

If 2.5/.910 doesn't get it done (yes, he needs to be more consistent) then nothing really will.

If you can't win with your goalie putting up 2.5/.910 you can't win.

And these stats sure meant a lot in these playoffs.

You're not going to even begin to tell me that "goaltending" lost the New Jersey series, are you?

No, but did it help?

Let me put it this way. If you didn't know Bryzgalov's stats and would only judge him purely based on what you saw last season, how would you characterize his play? Were you happy with his performance?

@Mad Dog "how would you characterize his play? Were you happy with his performance?"

Bryz used the bend AND break theory in the playoffs against Jersey. The real cause for the loss was our inability to sustain a cycle against the Devs defense and the fact they could cycle against us....but Bryz did not help. He was solid at times, but never spectacular. Against the Pens, he just stunk less than Fleury. Any other team would have wooped our asses in the first round.

• Like 3

You're not going to even begin to tell me that "goaltending" lost the New Jersey series, are you?

No, but when you pay a goaltender that much money you expect him to steal a game or two. Just one, please. The Flyers needed to score four or more every single game, and it was obvious that some of the goals he gave up were deflating to his team mates. He put the puck into his own net fer chrisakes!

To negate or compensate (I can't even come up with the right word) for Bryzgalov's shortcomings, this team would need THREE Shea Webers (one per each defensive pairing) or play virtually impeccable, faultless team defense to cover for him..........

worse. bryzgalov gives up goals on shots that would not otherwise have been credited as scoring opportunities. 6 shea webers don't keep byrzgalov from seeing the puck at all.

lost the series? not entirely. he didn't give them a chance, though.

again. game 5, there were zero goals scored against either goalie that should have gone in the net. zero. the flyers and devils skaters played to a hard fought scoreless tie. except marty coughed one up, and bryzgalov three.

bryzgalov can not win 4 playoff games against a functional team. it's been that way his entire career, with that single exception against colorado in 05-06. bryzgalov is a poison pill rendering the rest of the team's make up irrelevant so long as he is around.

• Like 1

@ Honestly, this is Philly we are talking about. Do you really think Bryz will get away with stinking for an entire decade. After a few years, some drunk will Tanya Harding him into retirement.

We saved ourselves from ourselves. There is really no other way to look at it.

Weber played this well -- his agent was the one saying he was pointing out the door. Same agent now says how happy NAS ownership stepped up. Agents do what they do.

• Like 1

We saved ourselves from ourselves. There is really no other way to look at it.

Weber played this well -- his agent was the one saying he was pointing out the door. Same agent now says how happy NAS ownership stepped up. Agents do what they do.

Agents gets paid on commission.....If you think his agent cared for anything but top dollar, I am not sure what to say........

Agents gets paid on commission.....If you think his agent cared for anything but top dollar, I am not sure what to say........

Whereas Weber was simply altruistically seeking as much money as he could pssibly get...?

Not arguing that rad....I just get tired of the farce that money is not the see all/be all for decisions by players/agents. Some players I can see bending to get a chance to play for the cup but peer pressure from the NHLPA are not going to let them give their services away either...

The more and more I think about it and have stepped back from the ledge, I almost think it is a good thing that they matched. What if Weber gets injured (as mentioned above)?

14 years is too long for any player. A lot can change with this game in five years, let alone 14.

We'll get our D trued up to work better with Bryzgalov. I am sure of that much, Lavy is a good coach that has produced greatness with similar or less on the back end....granted Cam Ward helps though...

I look back to the 2009-10 Coyotes season where Bryz was stellar. How great was their D? In fact, how great was their team? Bryz is a product of the system in front of him. Lavy has his hands full, but I fully expect to see a better defensive team this year.

Mark my words Bryz will have 44 wins this year. I have the crow in the freezer (next to the halibut) that I will gladly warm up and eat in April if I am wrong.

Edited by Bertmega
  • Like 2

Not arguing that rad....I just get tired of the farce that money is not the see all/be all for decisions by players/agents. Some players I can see bending to get a chance to play for the cup but peer pressure from the NHLPA are not going to let them give their services away either...

Well, exactly. This is what bugs me too - and why I continually point out that Suter going to Minnesota "to win" when the Wild haven't even made the playoffs since 07-08 is just plain nonsense. I don't blame the Preds for not wanting to pay him $7.5M a season - much less all that "bonus" money - but by what rational evidence do we find that the Wild is "closer to" or "more committed to" winning than the Predators who have been to the playoffs four of the past five years with the last two into the Conference Semis?

Because the owner had a boatload of "bonus" money for them - and even that $25M pales in comparison to the $68M in "bonus" money Shea Weber's getting in his deal.

homer did make this offer impossible to match. nashville is insane for matching it. they're correct that this is the defining moment in their history. i'm just not so sure that looking back on it, the definition will be 'bankrupt'.

Edited by Bakanekimiwa
  • Like 1

@radoran

On one hand, if the Predators had stepped up and paid Suter, they could have afforded to let the Flyers have Weber, as they were obviously content on letting one, but not both of them go. On the other hand, Weber may have tried harder to stay in Nashville for less and still not given the Flyers a chance. On the other other hand, that's one freaky looking dude with three hands.

@radoran

On one hand, if the Predators had stepped up and paid Suter, they could have afforded to let the Flyers have Weber, as they were obviously content on letting one, but not both of them go. On the other hand, Weber may have tried harder to stay in Nashville for less and still not given the Flyers a chance. On the other other hand, that's one freaky looking dude with three hands.

yeah, nothing else to do but watch it all play out.

I don't believe Suter was going to sign with Nashville regardless. Poile made a bet on a run in the playoffs and lost - and I do believe Suter was stringing him along.

Let me put it this way. If you didn't know Bryzgalov's stats and would only judge him purely based on what you saw last season, how would you characterize his play? Were you happy with his performance?

Is it even necessary to point out that one could say the exact same thing about Fleury?