Thoughts on Pursuing PK Subban

Guest Dynamo 47

Now that the Weber deal has come and gone curious as to the thoughts on possibly signing PK Subban to an offer sheet.

He is a total PITA to play against, which is high praise for anyone who has played the game. He is a right handed shot who can score (14 goals in 2010-2011 season), plays physical and takes the body.

Not to mention being only 23 years old and will improve over time.

I think he is exactly what the team could use without paying Weber money. They get a right hand shot from the point, a physical guy and a guy who gets under the skin of the opponent. He is young and would fit in nicely with the young core we have now.

Right now his cap hit is about 875 - 900K. Do the Canadians match an offer of a bonus and maybe 5 mil over 5 years? If the one dimensional turnover machine Carle is worth that much then surely Subban is.

Do you further risk alienating other GM's around the league but doing another offer sheet?

What are some other posters thoughts?

@dynamo 47

i'm not a huge PK fan, I recognize his talent , right handedness and PITA factor, i also notice him making some dumb passes to forecheckers when he is pressured consistently... does he out grow that ? maybe probably, in the interim though people here will be howling about "turn over machine Subban" so much it will make Matt Carle's tenure here seem Norris calibre.

PK is a lightning rod, polarizing guy, will the fan base accept his growing pains or will he reside under the bus while he grows into a mature person & player ? my money is on the fanbase eating him alive.

i think its too risky to pay anything but money for PK and then I think it should be short term to see how it goes.

I think he has the talent to eventually be a Norris candidate. He just needs to get his head on straight. Not sure if that's possible or not. But talent he has.

I feel the same. But does the reward outweigh the risk? With the strong veteran leadership we have I would think it would help him a lot. I could really see Subban benefitting from Pronger's presence.

But there are probably safer bets out there such as maybe a Zach Bogosian but the talent and edge that Subban brings makes me drool at the potential.

It's a moot point as I cannot see Homer wanting to go the offer sheet route again for a team that will be more likely to match any offer than Nashville was,

At this point it may be best to chill with the offer sheets. Remember we have a big name RFA to ink and in a couple of years will have three big ones (Giroux, Schenn, Couturier). I get that it is legal, but it may be time to accept what we have and move on.

Subban is a good player that needs time to mature, but this market here in Philly has shown zero patience with allowing players to "find" their game. I would expect if by some chance he made his way to Philly, he would be treated like the consolation prize in the 2012 off season, and the first bone head move he makes, the fans and media alike will remind him of that.

He's a Canadian for now and probably should remain one.

Wonder is Holmgren is rethinking not drafting a defenseman this year.

• Like 3

At this point it may be best to chill with the offer sheets. Remember we have a big name RFA to ink and in a couple of years will have three big ones (Giroux, Schenn, Couturier). I get that it is legal, but it may be time to accept what we have and move on.

Subban is a good player that needs time to mature, but this market here in Philly has shown zero patience with allowing players to "find" their game. I would expect if by some chance he made his way to Philly, he would be treated like the consolation prize in the 2012 off season, and the first bone head move he makes, the fans and media alike will remind him of that.

He's a Canadian for now and probably should remain one.

Wonder is Holmgren is rethinking not drafting a defenseman this year.

I agree Bert. I just threw the topic out there as Subban is intriquing. But I am of the old adage that what goes around comes around and it is no secret that other teams despise the offer sheets. It would not be at all surprising if another team signed one of our young three to an insane deal not necessarily to acquire them but to screw up the Flyers payroll knowing they would match.

• Like 1

Now that the Weber deal has come and gone curious as to the thoughts on possibly signing PK Subban to an offer sheet.

He is a total PITA to play against, which is high praise for anyone who has played the game. He is a right handed shot who can score (14 goals in 2010-2011 season), plays physical and takes the body.

Not to mention being only 23 years old and will improve over time.

I think he is exactly what the team could use without paying Weber money. They get a right hand shot from the point, a physical guy and a guy who gets under the skin of the opponent. He is young and would fit in nicely with the young core we have now.

Right now his cap hit is about 875 - 900K. Do the Canadians match an offer of a bonus and maybe 5 mil over 5 years? If the one dimensional turnover machine Carle is worth that much then surely Subban is.

Do you further risk alienating other GM's around the league but doing another offer sheet?

What are some other posters thoughts?

I think Subban would fit in nicely in Philly.. I would take him or Carlson anyday..

If I had to choose from the RFA's out there I'd go

1) Carlson = huge upside, just reaching his early prime years. Fits an obvious need, a legit #1 pp qb who is young, we currently don't have one.

2)Evander Kane...this is the real target IMHO. This kid just brings it. He will develop into a legit power forward who will score 50 a year. The Jets are talking to him now, 6 years at 4.95 a year is the rumored offer. I give him 7.5 and let him grow into the contract. The most for sure thing out there. You'd be giving him BIG money a few years before he is worth it, but in the long run, this contract would become a BARGAIN!!! This is the winger we always needed, somebody to can watch G's back from the cheap shots and kick in 50....yes...he *will* score 50 many, many times. If any RFA forward is worth 4 first rounders it's Kane. He will become the power forward of his generation. Scoop him up now and there will be no regrets!!! Drawback....I think the Jets new owners have deep pockets and might match. Or, they could realize they are not close and take the picks....who knows?

3) P.K Subban.....like others have said, awesome talent, little pea sized brain. Gives up the most horrid turnovers in his own zone, often just passing the puck to opposing forwards for easy goals...I kid you not! He does have blazing speed and is quite physical, but a big, big risk....and the Habs would match.