what happens if

Guest puckhead

Nashville doesnt make the 2nd $13M bonus payout (or any other bonus payout)? do the Flyers get Weber's rights? or does he become UFA? or does Nashville get the right to trade him?

Under what circumstances are the Predators "not making the payment?" It's a legally-binding contract.

I don't see a way it even begins to happen.

If the Preds go bankrupt in the next year, the League would take them over (as they did Phoenix) and the contracts would be paid.

They can't just "decide" not to make the next payment. If that was the case, there would be chaos.

i was thinking along the lines of no (or abreiviated) season next year, and the team is in deep and just cant make the payment. the individual owners no doubt are isolated and not personally liable. a 10% owner of a $165M team may not want to personally throw in $13M for what amounts to another 10% of a sinking ship. throwing good money after bad.

i was thinking along the lines of no (or abreiviated) season next year, and the team is in deep and just cant make the payment. the individual owners no doubt are isolated and not personally liable. a 10% owner of a $165M team may not want to personally throw in $13M for what amounts to another 10% of a sinking ship. throwing good money after bad.

If ownership can't live up to their commitments, the league as a whole has to step in (as they did in Phoenix).

"throwing good money after bad." - heheee... they just did that!