Couturier's potential...

NastyNate

I'm just curious as to what you guys are expecting out of Couturier next season. Are we looking at a huge increase in production, say 25 goals 35 assists? Or are we looking at steady increases in production for the next 4 or 5 years until he has it figured out? I guess there are no wrong answers as no one really knows how much his game will increase, just would like to know what fellow flyers fans think are realistic numbers from this kid...

I'm expecting 15-20 goals and 25-35 assists.

so much depends on his role and his linemates.

He *is* still an actual "kid" though and one can be concerned about a Sophomore Slump.

I don't expect that, though. In the right situation, I think he's got a wide open "top side."

rad is 1000% unequivocally indubitably right. If Laviolette puts him with some players he can put up some decent points. If he wants him to continue his role as a checker, not so much. He looked to me like he had learned a thing or two about defensive play already, so I'd like them to unleash his offence at least a bit.

so I'd like them to unleash his offence at least a bit.

With the way the team is structured, I think they pretty much have no choice but to do so. He *has* to be on the top 2 lines. They can still call upon his defensive abilities, but that shouldn't be at the expense of scoring.

It is all going to boil down to which line he plays on for how many points he ends up with. I think we will still see him playing 3rd line minutes and Top PK minutes. The guy just has such a natural read of the flow on PK and has impeccable timing breaking up the cycle and creating short handed chances. I realize he has tremendous offensive potential too but with our goalie situation, his skills on PK and the checking line would be too sorely missed.

Cooter will be a shooter this new season.

More TOI = More PPG.

I'm just wondering how many Game Winning Goals he'll have this up coming season

as well as B. Schenn.

B. Schenn just seems to have a nose for that, though different type of players him and Gagne are, I think they will have that thread in common.

Bulieve datt!

I'm just curious as to what you guys are expecting out of Couturier next season. Are we looking at a huge increase in production, say 25 goals 35 assists? Or are we looking at steady increases in production for the next 4 or 5 years until he has it figured out? I guess there are no wrong answers as no one really knows how much his game will increase, just would like to know what fellow flyers fans think are realistic numbers from this kid...

I'm expecting 15-20 goals and 25-35 assists.

Coots is more of a shutdown center man than a goal scorer..expect him to be matched up against every teams top line...he does have scoring ability but that won't be his role here..

@orange_crush I think the shutdown role is one the team wants him to learn going forward, kind of like putting the horse before the cart, get your fundamentals down and then explore other areas of the game. Eventually, Couts will be a goal scorer, but the defensive aspect of his game will never be forgotten. Thus, the Flyers become harder to play against. Inevitably, he will be potting 40+ goal seasons....nicest release I've seen since Mike Bossy.

He's probably still looking at the third line, though I'm not sure who his linemates will be. Briere isn't the guy that you want trying to slow down your opponent's top line, so he's going to have to stick at the second line. So is it Couturier - Talbot - Read? That would have a good defensive awareness with some decent scoring ability as well.

@orange_crush I think the shutdown role is one the team wants him to learn going forward, kind of like putting the horse before the cart, get your fundamentals down and then explore other areas of the game. Eventually, Couts will be a goal scorer, but the defensive aspect of his game will never be forgotten. Thus, the Flyers become harder to play against. Inevitably, he will be potting 40+ goal seasons....nicest release I've seen since Mike Bossy.

I agree he is going to be a goal scorer..just not this year..predicting 40 goals a year is a little of a stretch don't you think?

I think Coots will one day regularly put up 30-35 goals and looking in the 70 point area. He is so solid and smart defensively I think it's going to prevent him from getting that offensive role. That's not necesarily a bad thing if you have a shutdown center putting up those kinds of numbers. The kid just has hockey smarts, he's only going to get better and is going to be exciting to see him develop and grow as a player.