Voracek signs 4 years at 4.25 per....

Guest jammer2

Yeah, I got 40 years under my belt to. But why be down on Vors when he hasn't gotten a chance yet on the Flyers. He had a good season playing mostly 3rd line minutes. And, consider this...Just consider it... are you projecting your assumtions because you have so dissapointed??? Kinda like grief clouds things...

I'm not down on Jake..I hope he becomes an elite goal scorer but I don't set myself up for dissapointments..

My problem with this contract:

Voracek is a UFA at the end of it

That doesn't even come close to making me concerned. It's 4 years down the road. They will have resigned him by then or already decided to let him go... We can't figure out who's on out team next week much less 4 years from now...

That doesn't even come close to making me concerned. It's 4 years down the road. They will have resigned him by then or already decided to let him go... We can't figure out who's on out team next week much less 4 years from now...

I guess. I would have rather signed Jakub for 3 years and have him as an RFA, like G

I guess. I would have rather signed Jakub for 3 years and have him as an RFA, like G

Problem is, we really don't know how this will work out when the new CBA is hammered out. If the league gets what they want, Jake will still be an RFA when his contract is up. If they make concessions in the number of years to UFA status, 3 years might make him an UFA anyway.

• Like 1

Problem is, we really don't know how this will work out when the new CBA is hammered out. If the league gets what they want, Jake will still be an RFA when his contract is up. If they make concessions in the number of years to UFA status, 3 years might make him an UFA anyway.

And that is a good reason to just leave "most" everything alone right now, except for Doan which is a long shot now...

Fair point, although I'd have to think previous contracts made before the CBA would get grandfathered in, kinda like how the MLB changed the rules after Papelbon was signed but it still cost the Phils compensation.

That's unlikely. Remember how all of a sudden there were a ton of unrestricted free agents in the NFL when the new CBA went into effect? I would expect the same thing in the NHL. Grandfathering is usually only used when something would become suddenly illegal when it was previously legal.

wow overpaid for this guy..making more money than Giroux...what a disgrace..

Just stop, will you?? Giroux sind his deal- knowing full well that he would get paid if he continued. He had ONE very good year at the point he signed the contract. At that point, he was still behind Carter and Richards on the depth sheet.

This is a value signing. They signed it within the term so that Jake is still a RFA at the end. I did not hear you crying when they signed Jagr at 400k less than Giroux last year.

Get a grip. Giroux IS going to get paid. Don't start comparing one players contract to anothers. It is insane to do it. The players don't do it- why should you??

• Like 2

Posted · Hidden by radoran, July 27, 2012 - duplicate post
Hidden by radoran, July 27, 2012 - duplicate post

wow overpaid for this guy..making more money than Giroux...what a disgrace..

Just stop, will you?? Giroux sind his deal- knowing full well that he would get paid if he continued. He had ONE very good year at the point he signed the contract. At that point, he was still behind Carter and Richards on the depth sheet.

This is a value signing. They signed it within the term so that Jake is still a RFA at the end. I did not hear you crying when they signed Jagr at 400k less than Giroux last year.

Get a grip. Giroux IS going to get paid. Don't start comparing one players contract to anothers. It is insane to do it. The players don't do it- why should you??

Nice deal for Voracek....he got a bit more than I thought he would, but let's face it, our second best pure offensive threat after G. Will be nice to watch him develop, 4 years takes him right into his prime.

For him, yeah. For the team? I am not so sure about that. If he increases his output a little bit, I wouldn't complain. But a 46-pt. a year guy for $4 mil? I I didn't like it when it was Hartnell (who better stay above the 60-pt. marker from now on) and I don't like it now.

orange_crush is correct; these salaries are totally out of control. This league isn't popular enough to pay that kind of money for guys of what level. It's absurd.

• Like 1

For him, yeah. For the team? I am not so sure about that. If he increases his output a little bit, I wouldn't complain. But a 46-pt. a year guy for $4 mil? I I didn't like it when it was Hartnell (who better stay above the 60-pt. marker from now on) and I don't like it now.

orange_crush is correct; these salaries are totally out of control. This league isn't popular enough to pay that kind of money for guys of what level. It's absurd.

While I agree it's too much, I can say that about almost every pro athlete. Voracek showed a lot more last year than I expected when he came from Columbus. I wish he had more finish, but he plays with passion. Still a kid, he's got plenty of potential. At least it's only 4 years, and as pointed out, ends with him still restricted.

While I agree it's too much, I can say that about almost every pro athlete. Voracek showed a lot more last year than I expected when he came from Columbus. I wish he had more finish, but he plays with passion. Still a kid, he's got plenty of potential. At least it's only 4 years, and as pointed out, ends with him still restricted.

In 05-06 the Cap was $39M. Today, six years later, it's $70.3M

I do not believe League revenues increased 1.8X in the last six years. Happy to be wrong.

Then you have teams like the Flyers. They raised tickets prices (for the first time in three years) last year.

They said it was because the salary cap is increasing.

The salary cap is based on league revenue. If you increase the amount of league revenue, you will inevitably increase the salary cap.

When you increase the salary cap, the overall salary of the players goes up.

Saying you are raising ticket prices because of the salary cap is like having an extra box of twinkies to lose weight.

This stretching and stretching can only go so far before it breaks. I concur with many on here that feel it has, in many ways, already broken.

• Like 1

@radoran

When people stop filling the stadiums, only then will out of control salaries be reigned in. I've paid for my last Hockey/football/baseball game. If some vendor or my company wants to buy me a ticket, fine, but I won't ever buy another one. Plus, 55" of TV and <$1 beers are even more incentive to stay home to watch the game.

• Like 2

@radoran

When people stop filling the stadiums, only then will out of control salaries be reigned in. I've paid for my last Hockey/football/baseball game. If some vendor or my company wants to buy me a ticket, fine, but I won't ever buy another one. Plus, 55" of TV and <$1 beers are even more incentive to stay home to watch the game.

amen brother. they've certainly priced me out of going to games. I used to have partial game plans for the Flyers but the cost of the tickets, parking, gas, the headache of traffic and god forbid I want something to eat or drink while i'm there... forget it. Like you, a nice TV and some reasonable beers on my couch is more than enough. I love going to the games though and miss it tremendously, but I'm not about to let my wallet get raped... plus, you never know what Flyers are going to show up and to shell out that kind of money on a throw away game makes the cost that much more sickening.

@fanaticV3.0 These contracts are a middle ground between potential (at the start) and actual production (at the end). If this contract was not in the best interests of the Flyers, it would not have been offered. The truth is, by the time this deal ends, Voracek will be underpaid. As rad pointed out, 4 years in the NHL salary structure is a LONG time. These salaries escalate exponentially. I honestly believe Voracek will be second in scoring for the Flyers next year, coming in around 70 pts (assuming he will play with Giroux, which I think he will, it's the easiest way to make the Flyers look smart for giving him this deal). He's not our second most talented player, but the Schenn's and Cout's of the team will take a while to overtake him.

After Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias said that he considers Voracek the Flyers best forward after Giroux.

So Vorachek scores 49 points, playing 3rd line mins, and little PP during the season. Jagr gets hurt heading into playoffs, and gets demoted. Jake promplty gets moved up to the first line during the playoffs--the line he will play on this season. In 11 games, he had 10 points. Yes, the Pittsburgh series was goofy, and not typical playoff hockey, but why does anyone not think he can't put up comparable numbers over the course of the regular season. While I'm NOT comparing Giroux to Voracek, I don't think anyone would have predicted the type of breakout season that G had last year. He was given more opportunity and he responded. I see no reason that Jake can't respond with a career year.

Pretty ridiculous to be down on this kid already...he's 23 and played on a contending team for 1 ****** year....

I think the Jake signing was perfectly good for the Flyers and Jake. This kid has a ton of potential and as DGG states above he was very very good when Jagr went down. People keep saying that the slaries are out of hand... While that is absolutely true professional sports is not reality when it comes to money. It is the going rate for a player of his talent and performance. Personally, in two years I think this is going to be a steal of a contract on 2 years... the kid is going to be a player. He is not a one trick pony either... speed, skill, vision, defense...

Giroux is going to get his payday and it is going to be a large one if he keeps up the pace of last year... JvR made more that G last year for heaven's sake...

I don't disagree, but I was talking about this deal in particular. For that kind of money, I'd like to see him put up more than 40-something points a year. If not, continue to improve the other aspects of his game; because I agree he does play hard.

I have to wonder if there is ever going to come a time someone, anyone, maybe the Occupy nerds, will get as upset over cost of entertainment (because that's all it reall is) as they are over corporate stuff.