Sean Couturier

Guest phlfly

Is he next Bob Clark?

At least he smiles like Bob Clark.

His offensive and defensive game is better then half of Flyers roster. He can play with anybody and still score goals. His PK at his 18 is very mature.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he next Bob Clark?

His offensive and defensive game is better then half of Flyers roster. He can play with anybody and still score goals. His PK at his 18 is very mature.

he been good and consistently so!

This guy is the real thing,classic example of a well coached young player. He plays it right on both sides of the puck,reminds me of Ron Francis.Homer really hit the jackpot with this selection! Wayne Simmonds reminds me (style wise) of Clarkie.Hard driving style,does what ever it takes to put the puck in the net,gives 100% every time he is on the ice. All these young guys look like a bright future for the Flyers! Q

This guy is the real thing,classic example of a well coached young player. He plays it right on both sides of the puck,reminds me of Ron Francis.Homer really hit the jackpot with this selection! Wayne Simmonds reminds me (style wise) of Clarkie.Hard driving style,does what ever it takes to put the puck in the net,gives 100% every time he is on the ice. All these young guys look like a bright future for the Flyers! Q

Good Call on the Ron Francis comparison. He might smile like Clarke but it is going to be tough for anybody to match the mean streak he had when he was on the ice.

KId is tearing it up right now!! Any worry that he will run out of gas with the long NHL season?

I would probably expect it. Not a knock on him. just the fact that an NHL season is long and brutal.

But i will all..the kid is gonna be super.

KId is tearing it up right now!! Any worry that he will run out of gas with the long NHL season?

That's a possibility, but I'm not really worried about it because the Flyers aren't relying on him for first or second line minutes, and they are not relying on him for offense. I think if it gets to the point where he gets exposed with too many minutes, they can sit him for a few games, or move him down the lineup.

Couturier played in 58 QMJHL games plus 10 playoff games, plus the WJHC tournament (where he was the only undrafted Canadian) top prospects game, allstar etc. Yes, he may find it tougher than what he's used to, but it's not like he's coming out of a 30 game league. He's definately made the transition about as smoothly as one could ask.

Scooter has the best Corsi on the team right now. Been a very strong contributor and is not playing an easy role for a rookie. He may well hit the wall in January but even if he does, he's earned an NHL job and will certainly keep it.

I've been very impressed with him so far. His numbers are good (not great) but his vision and hockey intelligence is simply amazing. I'm excited to see what this kid is going to be able to do a few years down the line. I'm amazed he slipped all the way to 8th. If he fills out a little more and continues to stay focused on his game we will have the best player out of that draft hands down.

Couturier played in 58 QMJHL games plus 10 playoff games, plus the WJHC tournament (where he was the only undrafted Canadian) top prospects game, allstar etc. Yes, he may find it tougher than what he's used to, but it's not like he's coming out of a 30 game league. He's definately made the transition about as smoothly as one could ask.

I didn't realize how many games they play in juniors...my bad

How lucky we are that he drop to the 8th pick? I'm happy as heck with how he's playing and being used, Lavy has been putting him position to succed and he has. He's been scoring with linemates that aren't really offensive players and that means something. I just hope he will develop into a better player than Carter. I was reading on the Blue Jackets board and most were piss that Voracek and Couets hurt them last night lol.

he's already got a better idea of how to make his linemates better than Carter did. i was a defender of Carter but i can see mono-kid turning into a jordan staal type player with maybe more offensive upside. which to me would be better than carter, Carter reminds me of a JD Drew type, just doesn't get how good he has it.... anyway mono-kid sees the ice so well already and is not overwhelmed by the NHL at all; he's big and his flaw is what, he's got a slow first step ? he's not slow once he gets going, that burst is something that can be improved upon, at least a little bit with some kinesiology and coaching. he's better than advertised.

I didn't realize how many games they play in juniors...my bad

He actually missed some games last year due to illness. Theoretically he could have played 68 regular season games, 28 possible playoff games, then the Memorial Cup tournament, not to mention top prospects game, allstar, Super Series, WJs ,and preseason. See why Holmgren wanted JVR in junior?

How lucky we are that he drop to the 8th pick? I'm happy as heck with how he's playing and being used, Lavy has been putting him position to succed and he has. He's been scoring with linemates that aren't really offensive players and that means something. I just hope he will develop into a better player than Carter. I was reading on the Blue Jackets board and most were piss that Voracek and Couets hurt them last night lol.

he's on his way to being better than carter, the kid plays an all around game, carter is one dimensional and for a guy his size he's a *****

he's on his way to being better than carter, the kid plays an all around game, carter is one dimensional and for a guy his size he's a *****

Carter has talent, but his hockey sense is lacking big time. Couturier has about the same level of talent AND he is a "smart" hockey player. As Pierre MacGuire would say "He gets it". Couturier will make everyone forget about Carter. Vorachek is also a nice bonus. As soon as Couturier slipped in the draft and the Flyers grabbed him, Homer won that trade.

From Sam Carchidi on philly.com

Even though he has been used primarily as a penalty-killer and third- or fourth-line center, Sean Couturier has climbed among the rookie leaders in several offensive categories - and has probably made several teams second-guess themselves for bypassing him in last June's draft.

Couturier slipped to No. 8 - the first-round pick the Flyers acquired as part of the deal that sent Jeff Carter to Columbus - but in the season's first month he has looked like a future star.

In 13 games, Couturier has five goals, which, entering Sunday, was second among NHL rookies. It was one fewer goal than another 18-year-old center, Edmonton's Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the No. 1 overall draft pick in June. Couturier topped all rookies with a plus-9 rating.

"He continues to play solid hockey at both ends of the ice," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said after Couturier's first two-goal game aided Saturday's 9-2 romp over the hapless Blue Jackets. "Defensively, penalty kill, he does the right things. Offensively, he got some opportunities and cashed them in. He's been really strong."

The Flyers have never had a Calder Trophy winner, but Couturier is a rookie-of-the-year candidate, along with teammate Matt Read (three goals, four assists), who is expected to return to the lineup Wednesday against host Tampa Bay after being sidelined for three games because of an injury.

Defenseman Erik Gustafsson, another Flyers rookie, raised some eyebrows with a plus-6 rating in the spanking of Columbus.

"He was on the ice for a lot of positive things," Laviolette said. "He's played really well since he's been called up. He moves the puck so well. I think over the summer he picked up a step in speed, picked up some added muscle, and he looks really strong on the ice."

Gustafsson is playing like he deserves to remain as the Flyers' sixth defenseman - even after Chris Pronger returns from an eye injury.

In just his fifth NHL game of the season and eighth of his career, Gustafsson had the highest plus rating for a Flyers rookie since 1984, when Thomas Eriksson was plus-8. He also had an assist, his first career point.

"It's a great feeling, obviously, but the most important thing is for the team to win, and it was a really great team effort. I think everyone showed up," Gustafsson said.

The Flyers (8-4-2) took just a 3-3-2 home record into Saturday's game at the Wells Fargo Center.

"We were real fired, up and we wanted to have a good game in front of our fans," said Gustafsson, 22. "I think we've been playing a little bit, maybe, soft and not hard enough the last couple of games, and we wanted to come out strong and it carried over to the second.

With each game, Gustafsson - who played a team-high 23 minutes, 9 seconds on Saturday - seems to be getting more confident.

"Absolutely. You come up here and you play with these big guys you've been watching on TV all of your life," he said. "I think it's normal to get nervous, so the more you get to be around here and the more you play, the more comfortable you get."

It wouldn't be surprising if Gustafsson stayed in the defensive rotation when Pronger returned and 36-year-old Andreas Lilja became the odd man out. Lilja had four hits and was plus-1 on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20111107_Flyers_Couturier__Gustafsson_spur_youth_movement.html#ixzz1d2GMfFdN

Is he next Bob Clark?

He was a great pick but as others have said, he was the top player in the draft before getting mono. I'm still shocked he dropped to us at 8.

I just wish he could get more time and play with more skilled wingers. I think he is capable of really putting up some points but hard to do when your linesmates are Shelley, Nodl, and even though he is playing great, Talbot.

He was a great pick but as others have said, he was the top player in the draft before getting mono. I'm still shocked he dropped to us at 8.

I just wish he could get more time and play with more skilled wingers. I think he is capable of really putting up some points but hard to do when your linesmates are Shelley, Nodl, and even though he is playing great, Talbot.

I'm more blown away that he has outplayed Schenn. I really thought Schenn would come in here and really impress us, but he hasn't really impressed me at all.

I don't know that Schenn has a spot on this team right now (even though they *will* make room for him).

I don't know if Hitch and Stevenson's system rushed them in to being a star, but what both Carter and Richards went through in their first couple of years probably accelerated their development. Carter and Richards had a lot thrown them in their first couple of years going from a team that had one of the worst overall records to playoff contenders. I'll say they endured the ups and downs and situational troubles most players go through probably a little earlier. While it was a lot ot be thrown at a player in their 20's some players just are more mature than others and can handle it. I think we see that with Couturier. The kid seems very mature for his age and will learn a great deal this year being a household member with Briere. That type of mentorship can have a huge impact on a young player so we may see Cout's develop the mental edge to his game quicker. As far as physically.....the book is still out, but everything looks good so far

I don't know if Hitch and Stevenson's system rushed them in to being a star, but what both Carter and Richards went through in their first couple of years probably accelerated their development. Carter and Richards had a lot thrown them in their first couple of years going from a team that had one of the worst overall records to playoff contenders. I'll say they endured the ups and downs and situational troubles most players go through probably a little earlier. While it was a lot ot be thrown at a player in their 20's some players just are more mature than others and can handle it. I think we see that with Couturier. The kid seems very mature for his age and will learn a great deal this year being a household member with Briere. That type of mentorship can have a huge impact on a young player so we may see Cout's develop the mental edge to his game quicker. As far as physically.....the book is still out, but everything looks good so far

I think Richards and Carter did everything they were asked to do. I will miss Richards in the long run. He'll turn things around... but it had gotten to the point that he needed to be moved.

Carter, well, I just don't like the way he plays the game. Soft and on the perimeter. Good riddance.

That being said, they both became excellent players here in Philly, but the problem is that they were coddled and seemed to have some sort of sense of entitlement.

Homer showed them who really runs the show around here ;)

No one is untouchable... well, except Giroux!

It's certainly easy to imagine Couturier becoming a star in the NHL. If his skating improves and it nets him more speed he's going to be an extremely dangerous weapon. Teams will be forced to pay attention to him every time he comes over the boards.

He's got the instinct to be in the right place at the right time, which I guess you can't really teach. It's no wonder he was the overall top pick till he missed some playing time.

Everybody is waiting for Schenn to make some noise...all the while Couturier is already making his mark. It's getting harder to justify opening up a spot for Schenn.