Couturier

Guest flyercanuck

I've been keeping track of numbers I notice frequently during games (for good and bad).

14 and 24 were noticeable for the good for virtually all of last night.

Couturier has some developing to do, but his hockey sense is undeniable.

Missed last nights game. Was just curious how the rookie looked on the top line?

I thought he looked strong but maybe just a little hesitant. There were a couple of times where he could have attacked but instead played more defensively than I am used to seeing on the top line. Overall, I think given a few games on that line he will learn his line mates better and where he can and can't take chances. For a 18/19 year old, he is amazing. If I had to pick someone he reminds me of, it would be Rod Brindamour.

I'm not expecting a Stanley Cup run this year. But watching these young guys fit right in is a real pleasant surprise, and makes the team a lot of fun to watch.

don't expect it. don't rule it out. Watch the season. Enjoy the games.

Flyers are showing that they did get better, cheaper and younger with their offseason moves. I like it.

So was Bryz good or did the team shut down the Caps? I see JVR had two points...did he actually show up or were they lame secondary assists? Voracek still the beast of the boards? How did the young Dmen do?

They were lame secondary assists. Voracek was a BEAST last night. But JVR was nearly invisible, hence the low TOI (14 min) vs Voracek (17+). Of course, Voracek was also on the PK, but that tells you what Lavi is thinking.

I think Voracek could be a good pker. He seems to have the right attitude in his game. His ability, or non-ability to finish pisses me off, but he gives so much effort he's forgiven ; ) JVR really, really needs to get his head in the game. Bryz? Bourdon?

So was Bryz good or did the team shut down the Caps? I see JVR had two points...did he actually show up or were they lame secondary assists? Voracek still the beast of the boards? How did the young Dmen do?

Bryz was solid and you could tell was upset at giving up the shutout.

JVR had some nice moments, but needs to do a lot more to emerge. I wouldn't call both secondaries "lame" but they weren't "write home to mom now" types either.

Voracek was a monster. More ice time, please.

I thought he had a strong game. He had a few scoring ops in the second and third (I missed almost entire 1st). Nothing amazing, but the guy plays a sound game. If G played, G would have had maybe 3 goals and 2 or more assists.

I agree. I think the kid is paying attention SOO much to being responsible defensively. I'll take him playing fantastic 2 way hockey then worry about trying to step into G's shoes and score a bunch at the expense of his solid 2 way play. He can play offense, we've seen it. His goals will come.

Bryz was solid and you could tell was upset at giving up the shutout.

JVR had some nice moments, but needs to do a lot more to emerge. I wouldn't call both secondaries "lame" but they weren't "write home to mom now" types either.

Voracek was a monster. More ice time, please.

Bryz had one lapse that caused the goal JMO> He hit the puck with the glove and it stayed in play. If he grabs it play stops and maybe not scrum leading to the goal. Overall he did the job.Caps spent a lot of time in the Players end.

I think Voracek could be a good pker. He seems to have the right attitude in his game. His ability, or non-ability to finish pisses me off, but he gives so much effort he's forgiven ; ) JVR really, really needs to get his head in the game. Bryz? Bourdon?

Bryz made a lot of nice saves, and controlled his rebounds well by either covering up, or directing them to the corners. One of his better games, actually.

Bourdon had a few rough shifts where giveaways caused us to be hemmed in our zone, but other than that, he looked very good. Nice to see him score a goal. He even admitted that he threw a weak shot on goal through traffic hoping to create something, and he ended up scoring ;)

Also, Coburn made the play of the night. If anyone has the replay, they should post it. He pasted OV to the boards, caused a turnover that led to the Talbot goal. He's truly emerging this season as a top pairing guy, and showing why he was a high first round draft pick.

Wait a second here... wasn't Voracek the new Zherdev?

Also, Coburn made the play of the night. If anyone has the replay, they should post it. He pasted OV to the boards, caused a turnover that led to the Talbot goal. He's truly emerging this season as a top pairing guy, and showing why he was a high first round draft pick.

That was a great play - and he got the assist on it, too. Sure, it was a lame secondary assist... ;-)

Coburn is moving into the place where most coaches think defensemen are finally able to be "NHL defensemen" - late/mid 20s. A nice asset to have signed for four years at $4.5M.

Wait a second here... wasn't Voracek the new Zherdev?

He sure looked like it at times early on. But effort and Zherdev can't be mistaken, except when his NHL career is on the line. Then Nicky gives it. As for Voracek, the guy is working hard, especially along the boards.

He sure looked like it at times early on. But effort and Zherdev can't be mistaken, except when his NHL career is on the line. Then Nicky gives it. As for Voracek, the guy is working hard, especially along the boards.

I like what CSN had with Laviolette before the game talking about Lavy wanting to get Voracek more ice time, but with the top six clicking it washard to get him in. That he was happy to be able to give him more minutes and seemed confident he could take advantage of them.

The fifth goal didn't mean much in the end, but it was a reflection of a strong overall game from Voracek.

I've long thought that Columbus just gives up on any player not named "Nash" too soon. They also expect far too much early. The Flyers have the luxury of putting players like Voracek and Simmonds into roles in which they can develop at a reasonable pace. Hopefully to step into bigger roles as the veterans move along.

You're looking for a Coburn or Carle to step into Timonen's role; Jagr's a UFA and Hartnell's up after next season so talented developing forwards are a terrific asset.