Lavy to be extended

Guest Poulin20

I like him. I like him with the young core of players he's developing. They know him, his system, they'll grow up in it, know it, and respond well to it - they won't fight it. This could pay big dividends. I like the consistency and predicatbility. That breeds comfort and confidence among those players. He's not won the Flyers a Cup yet, but there's time. The regular season wins are there. Now if only they'd given him a sane goalie....ha.

I think the Flyers are down to paying 2 or 3 coaches at this point, so they needed to extend Lavy to keep the numbers up gong forward.

Heck didn't they just finish paying Terry Murray before they rehired him?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

I think the Flyers are down to paying 2 or 3 coaches at this point, so they needed to extend Lavy to keep the numbers up gong forward.

Heck didn't they just finish paying Terry Murray before they rehired him?

:ph34r:

I thought that when a coach gets fired and then hired by another team that they no longer have to pay the coach as they would only have one team pay them.

I thought that when a coach gets fired and then hired by another team that they no longer have to pay the coach as they would only have one team pay them.

I don't think a coaching contract is like being married.

Although, I've never been a NHL coach, nor have I been married...

@Poulin20 I like Lavy, but he's on a short leash after the playoffs. I don't blame him for the 3-4 odd man rushes per period in the Pitts series, don't think any coach could be faulted for that debacle. I do think he was outcoached in the Devs series, didn't make many necessary adjustments and went with the lines far to long when they were consistently shut down.

• Like 1

@Poulin20 I like Lavy, but he's on a short leash after the playoffs. I don't blame him for the 3-4 odd man rushes per period in the Pitts series, don't think any coach could be faulted for that debacle. I do think he was outcoached in the Devs series, didn't make many necessary adjustments and went with the lines far to long when they were consistently shut down.

I am not sure Lavy can be completely blamed for what happened against the Devils. The odd man rushes weren't an issue. The issue was they couldn't keep a forecheck and they couldn't get the puck out. None of that had to do with odd man rushes. I really think that series was based on health. Giroux was clearly not the player he was. Jagr was completely invisible. Hartnell was basically playing on his own. The D was worn down. The Devils just had everything going their way.

• Like 1

@DanFlyerFan I only referenced odd man rushes in regards to the Pens series. I think Lavy could have done a bit more against the Devs, but in the end, they imposed their will on us, so not the coachs fault there. He was to patient with the line combo's though...he should have broke up G's line in game #2.

@DanFlyerFan I only referenced odd man rushes in regards to the Pens series. I think Lavy could have done a bit more against the Devs, but in the end, they imposed their will on us, so not the coachs fault there. He was to patient with the line combo's though...he should have broke up G's line in game #2.

He could have done that, I really don't know how much Giroux was going to do anyways. I give Giroux full credit for never quiting and giving it his all but he was not the same player against the Devils. You are right about the lines. Although we did see Jagr playing with Briere at times. I for one am excited to see how how Giroux and Voracek for a full season plays out.

I like him. I like him with the young core of players he's developing. They know him, his system, they'll grow up in it, know it, and respond well to it - they won't fight it.

Lindy Ruff says hello! Joking only! ha ha

• Like 1

Metzler ranked the Flyers coaches today in his blog.

1. Fred Shero

2. Mike Keenan

3. Pat Quinn

4. Terry Murray

5. Ken Hitchcock

6. Roger Neilson

7. Peter Laviolette

8. Keith Allen

9. Bill Dineen

10. Bill Barber

11. John Stevens

12. Paul Holmgren

13. Craig Ramsay

14. Vic Stasiuk

15. Terry Simpson

16. Bob McCammon

17. Wayne Cashman

I'd move Laviolette ahead of Neilson and ahead of Hitchcock also. The true test I guess will be if Laviolette can adjust his offensive pressure style to be more defensive.

@radoran My recollection of the events that lead to him being fired were that he was thrown under the bus.....so maybe a bit unfair to slag the guy. When I think of a great coach, Bill Barber does not come to mind...maybe it's just me. Like you said, if the team didn't quit, who knows where his career goes? I recant...LOL!

@radoran My recollection of the events that lead to him being fired were that he was thrown under the bus.....so maybe a bit unfair to slag the guy. When I think of a great coach, Bill Barber does not come to mind...maybe it's just me. Like you said, if the team didn't quit, who knows where his career goes? I recant...LOL!

I'm not "defending" Barber as much as puncturing the traditional narrative.

My understanding is that the team apparently was the most successful in the Atlantic largely by accident and then when put into the playoffs, the team had no idea how to function, leading to them rejecting the addition of a Hall of Fame wing at the deadline, allowing that player to assist on *both* goals scored in the *five* games of the series, blame the goaltender for losing a series in which the team scored TWO goals in FIVE games (yes, you read that right, they won a game in the series that they scored two goals in and blamed the goaltender and the coach), and then claim that the problem was really the Jack Adams-winning, NHL-coach-of-the-year coach all along.

In other news, "goaltending" lost the New Jersey series...

That debacle was one of the main reasons I ever started posting about the Flyers.

At least we've brought back one of the guys who scored a crucial playoff goal to actually win a game in a series in which the majority of the team is deliberately tanking because they claim they have no idea how to play the game of hockey after coming in first in the Atlantic in the regular season.

Care to continue down this road? :-)

I'd move Laviolette ahead of Neilson and ahead of Hitchcock also.

Hitch takes a beating here. He is not good with "kids" is a bunch of crap (St Louis is the 10th youngest team in the NHL). Hitch is a strategist of the enth degree. Few are smarter than him in the league when it comes to x's and o's and I think he has learned the error of his past ways.

I really like Lavi, but I don't thik I move him past Hitch. The results Lavi has had here, I think Hitch matches and perhaps goes further (particularly the goalie bs stuff two playoffs ago).

I will agree that Lavi should go ahead of Neilson.

• Like 1

for sure, Stevens did a better job.

I disagree. Barber won the first Calder Trophy for the Phantoms- and he did it without a NHL stocked team (the year Stevens won it- was the lockout year). No Nitty, Pitkanen, Carter, or Richards. His shortcoming was his wifes illness. While not einstein behind the bench, he knew the game and knew the players. I would not put Stevens ahead of him. What has Stevens done other than back a cake?

(don't give me the ring in LA BS). :P

@Vanflyer

I think Hitch has to take a slice of the blame for how his career ending in Philly but also agree that he had some great moments.

If the D would not have been decimated to the point that Kappy and Timander of all people were logging top minutes in the conference finals, Hitch would have won a Cup with Esche in net.

That D was missing Rico, Ragnarson, and another quality player I can not think of...Weinrich maybe?

I think Hitch has to take a slice of the blame for how his career ending in Philly but also agree that he had some great moments.

Hitch was a escape goat when he was fired. Richards and Carter were tired of taking a beating from hitch. The year that Hitch was fired, Stevens did not do any better. The reality is that the Flyers sucked. While you can thank Brett Hull for Hitches cup ring (just like you can thank Cam Ward for Lavi's cup ring), Hitch is perennially asked to coach on the world stage for team Canada. Just saying......