Weber added no trade clause?

Guest Flyingswede

Weber seems to be very happy about staying in Nashville with his new gigantic contract. Are we used? I dont think so.

As I see it, its like this.

Weber is heading to flyers, signs the offer. Preds match it.

What can he do to save his popularity to the preds fans. He is a player who signed an offer from flyers and he is now costing ALOT of money. The fans cant be over excited.

I think adding the no trade clause is to gain lost popularity (after all, he is their captain) he also talks about "love" everything about nashville... just for the fans to forget how their club will bleed money on this dude.

As I see it, its like this.

Weber is heading to flyers, signs the offer. Preds match it.

What can he do to save his popularity to the preds fans. He is a player who signed an offer from flyers and he is now costing ALOT of money. The fans cant be over excited.

I think adding the no trade clause is to gain lost popularity (after all, he is their captain) he also talks about "love" everything about nashville... just for the fans to forget how their club will bleed money on this dude.

I see it like this. Holmgren offered Weber a contract that was greater in value than what was being negotiated in Nashville. Weber signed the Offer Sheet because he liked the deal. The money was probably close to the amount he was looking for, maybe even more. It was a WIN -WIN situation for Weber. He was guaranteed the money either way. He probably fully expected the Predators management to match.

As for the money, the contract helps Nashville reach the cap floor. Last season the Nashville had a 98.8% attendance for home games. So what if the ownership raises prices. The fan base has been established, winning will help them grow. They know they have one of the best goalies in the league and the best d-man. Hey I'd be excited too if I'm a Predators fan.

I'm somewhat gobsmacked, actually, that there are apparently Predators fans who consider this a good idea (from searching for confirmation).

Should the Preds ADD a no-trade clause to their rock-solid, 14-year commitment from their captain and stud defenseman?

There is a very simple answer to this:

NO

All the no trade does is let him dictate where he would like to be traded. Just like Nash. There is no doubt in my mind that Webber wanted to come to the Flyer's. When your agent says in an interview after the Predators matched that they really didn't think the Preds would match the way they structured the contract speaks volumes. I say 3-4 years he's playing somewhere else.

All the no trade does is let him dictate where he would like to be traded. Just like Nash. There is no doubt in my mind that Webber wanted to come to the Flyer's. When your agent says in an interview after the Predators matched that they really didn't think the Preds would match the way they structured the contract speaks volumes. I say 3-4 years he's playing somewhere else.

And Weber has absolutely no control over where he goes now. None.

Actually they can add a no trade clause. The only thing that is set in stone is the term and the money. They had Craig Button on TSN the other night and he said you add things afterward.

Why on Earth would they give Weber a no trade clause?

Go ahead. Convince anyone.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/should_preds_give_weber_no_trade_clause/11302048

I can see why Weber might want a NTC/NMC, but why in the world would management want one? Doesn't seem like Weber has a lot of leverage in this situation, I mean, what's he going to do if they don't give it to him, demand a trade?

• Like 1

Actually they can add a no trade clause. The only thing that is set in stone is the term and the money. They had Craig Button on TSN the other night and he said you add things afterward.

So, you can addendum a signed conract? Wow. I know it in the business world, but not in the sports world.

So, you can addendum a signed conract? Wow. I know it in the business world, but not in the sports world.

They obviously can't change major components (term, salary, bonus, etc.) but adding a clause that has "nothing" to do with compensation is likely OK.

LMAO @ Weber "asking for it" - there was a time to ask for it which was "When You Negotiated The Deal."

Homer's got a jar of NMC and NTCs on his desk - should have just asked for one.

• Like 1

They obviously can't change major components (term, salary, bonus, etc.) but adding a clause that has "nothing" to do with compensation is likely OK.

LMAO @ Weber "asking for it" - there was a time to ask for it which was "When You Negotiated The Deal."

Homer's got a jar of NMC and NTCs on his desk - should have just asked for one.

Yeah, I get that and knew that in a "legal" sense.

On the NMC / NTC, I thought it was built into the contract offer that the Flyers gave him- just was not portable to the match that Nashville made. I am still trying to catch up with the hockey moves. Nothing happens for 10 days and I get shut down for 10 days and there is allot that is happening.

Cheers

Yeah, I get that and knew that in a "legal" sense.

On the NMC / NTC, I thought it was built into the contract offer that the Flyers gave him- just was not portable to the match that Nashville made. I am still trying to catch up with the hockey moves. Nothing happens for 10 days and I get shut down for 10 days and there is allot that is happening.

Cheers

Amazing innit?

Nashville matched exactly the terms of the Flyers offer - that was their requirement under the RFA rules.

Weber didn't ask for/wasn't granted a NMC/NTC in the offer sheet he signed from the Flyers.

Weber didn't ask for/wasn't granted a NMC/NTC in the offer sheet he signed from the Flyers.

I like the guy even more now. Is it smart or stupid that he didn't? When you see the staggerring front end money figures, it makes you wonder.

It's in the CBA that when a player signs an offer sheet either the old team that matches the offer or the new team can amend the contract to include a no-trade or no-movement clause as long as it's mutually agreed upon. So you know if Weber ended up in Philly, Holmgren would have definitely given him a NMC. As for the Preds, if they do agree to give him one they probably won't agree to the NMC in the first 6 or 7 years of the contract but maybe after that. So if he becomes disgruntled sometime in the first 7 years of the deal then the Preds can trade him anyway to get the best deal without his approval. After the 7 years have passed then they won't care if he has a no-trade clause or not because the signing bonuses will all of been paid and they would have gotten the prime years out of Weber.

It's in the CBA that when a player signs an offer sheet either the old team that matches the offer or the new team can amend the contract to include a no-trade or no-movement clause as long as it's mutually agreed upon. So you know if Weber ended up in Philly, Holmgren would have definitely given him a NMC. As for the Preds, if they do agree to give him one they probably won't agree to the NMC in the first 6 or 7 years of the contract but maybe after that. So if he becomes disgruntled sometime in the first 7 years of the deal then the Preds can trade him anyway to get the best deal without his approval. After the 7 years have passed then they won't care if he has a no-trade clause or not because the signing bonuses will all of been paid and they would have gotten the prime years out of Weber.

I know it's legal, I just have a few questions:

Why negotiate the offer without the clause in it in the first place - if you were Weber and Homer? Wouldn't the NTC/NMC been even more of a "poison pill" for Nashville?

What benefit does Nashville get now by giving Weber a NTC/NMC - at all? The player just tried to leave - why would you give the player any leverage over where he would go after you swallowed the poison pill to keep him?

I know it's legal, I just have a few questions:

Why negotiate the offer without the clause in it in the first place - if you were Weber and Homer? Wouldn't the NTC/NMC been even more of a "poison pill" for Nashville?

What benefit does Nashville get now by giving Weber a NTC/NMC - at all? The player just tried to leave - why would you give the player any leverage over where he would go after you swallowed the poison pill to keep him?

weber's agent said that all along they wanted NTC/NMC, but the CBA's wording on offer sheets made it unclear if it was allowed to do so. since it's ok to ask afterward, i'm guess he had a handshake offer from homer. now they've asked nashville because they expect that nashville would be interested in have a clause for the player they just plunked down gazillions for.

now they've asked nashville because they expect that nashville would be interested in have a clause for the player they just plunked down gazillions for.

Why would they expect that? Why in the world would Nashville be interested in limiting their options by giving him a NTC?

weber's agent said that all along they wanted NTC/NMC, but the CBA's wording on offer sheets made it unclear if it was allowed to do so. since it's ok to ask afterward, i'm guess he had a handshake offer from homer. now they've asked nashville because they expect that nashville would be interested in have a clause for the player they just plunked down gazillions for.

"Handshake"

$110M deal with $68M guaranteed in bonus cash and part of it hinges on a "handshake"?

"Unclear"?? You ask for it and apologize afterwards. That's ridiculous.

*If* that is true, anyone who thinks Weber was "committed to Phiadelphia" is a fool.