Giroux says Crosby "hacked his wrists before every faceoff"

Guest jkearse123

@murraycraven "I take enormous pride in the fact that my twelve year old son listed FZ as his favortie musician in his yearbook this year!"

You just leapfrogged a few posters on my cool/hip posters rankings with that quote...lol, great that you can influence the youngsters taste like that!

• Like 1

@jammer2: Yeah, kinda funny how that worked out, isn't it?! And I couldn't agree more... the talent that man had was unmatched. It's a shame it doesn't get more recognition. But the old Harley-Davidson quote often comes to mind for me... "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." Seems about right.

Oh, and I agree about @murraycraven and the leapfrogging... that's some bada$$ stuff right there! :)

@jkearse123 We need to take out this a-hole. It's obvious he's not man enough to fight G, he'll just hack away at him for the rest of his career. Target his head and get it over with.

Funny thing is if G did that to Crosby, Crosby would flop on the ice and grab his wrists and lay there for 5 minutes until Giroux got a penalty.

No wonder Giroux wanted that first shift to bury that punk p*ssy Crosby. Great face of the NHL. They really get it.

I have no problem with slashing, just man up and fight after or at least take the resulting hits/retaliation like a man.

WOW, after I wrote that, I realized I'm a GIANT hypocrite I am. That post could be directed at Sid or Bobby Clarke, literally either one. Started thinking about it after seeing Blocker's post, then dismissed it, until reviewing my post.....wow, funny how these things come full circle, huh? Clarke was just as cowardly as Sid....but was allowed to get away with much more due to his "rambunctious" teammates. Clarke was much more vicious than Sid ever was, partly due to less stringent enforcement of the rules in the 70's and the introduction of political correctness in the 90's.

• Like 1

@blocker I remember reading a story about Clarke in the 80's. As legend has it, a young rookie from Minnesota was owning Clarke in the face off circle. Clarke warned him, "if you beat me again, I'll cut you like a stuffed pig". Sure enough, the rook (forget his name right now, but was not famous or anything) beat him next time around and Clarke slashed him in the face causing a 17 stitch gash over his right cheek. I remember being in awe of Clarke's viciousness, but am now upset with Sid's extra curricular activities....pretty lame on my part.

• Like 1

@blocker I remember reading a story about Clarke in the 80's. As legend has it, a young rookie from Minnesota was owning Clarke in the face off circle. Clarke warned him, "if you beat me again, I'll cut you like a stuffed pig". Sure enough, the rook (forget his name right now, but was not famous or anything) beat him next time around and Clarke slashed him in the face causing a 17 stitch gash over his right cheek. I remember being in awe of Clarke's viciousness, but am now upset with Sid's extra curricular activities....pretty lame on my part.

It's old school and new school - and there's some old in the new.

But the game is called differently and played differently today than in the past. It has evolved over the past three decades.

More specifically on topic, CSN touted up the Giroux quote last night as well - I believe the first time the Timmins Press has made the Philly media.

To be clear, it's not *Giroux* that's "whining" in this situation - ti's the Philly media and the bloggers who provoke them.

Agreed rad, the game has a much different feel to it, the glory days of the 70's seem like a century ago. Just the non stop rule changes...and just as important...how the refs are asked to interpret those rules.

Funny thing is if G did that to Crosby, Crosby would flop on the ice and grab his wrists and lay there for 5 minutes until Giroux got a penalty.

No wonder Giroux wanted that first shift to bury that punk p*ssy Crosby. Great face of the NHL. They really get it.

Do you really believe G doesn't do this from time to time? Of course he does... Or his face off percentage would be so bad you'd skate another center with him to compensate. You hate Crosby with a passion, I get it, but you really lose credibility commenting on him letting that hatred tinge every single incident.

It's old school and new school - and there's some old in the new.

But the game is called differently and played differently today than in the past. It has evolved over the past three decades.

More specifically on topic, CSN touted up the Giroux quote last night as well - I believe the first time the Timmins Press has made the Philly media.

To be clear, it's not *Giroux* that's "whining" in this situation - ti's the Philly media and the bloggers who provoke them.

Actually it's both. Many players get injuries from others and never say a word to the press. Even the hated Crosby. This is the first time I've felt Giroux has earned the name Claudia for complaining. I like Giroux. I like Crosby. I hate seeing either of them sound like this. Giroux knew his words would be read nationwide. And he knew the shot at Sid was in them.

As for the rest of you still condemning Sid... Aren't you also the ones who yell at him and say "shut up and do something about it then"? Lol. Don't by a hypocrite, tell G the same thing.

Actually it's both. Many players get injuries from others and never say a word to the press. Even the hated Crosby. This is the first time I've felt Giroux has earned the name Claudia for complaining. I like Giroux. I like Crosby. I hate seeing either of them sound like this. Giroux knew his words would be read nationwide. And he knew the shot at Sid was in them.

As for the rest of you still condemning Sid... Aren't you also the ones who yell at him and say "shut up and do something about it then"? Lol. Don't by a hypocrite, tell G the same thing.

I agree with part of your post anyhow........in bold above. All I am saying is if I had the concussion issues that Sid has, I think I would be much less likely to give people a reason to one up me. Sooner or later he is going to have to answer the bell and Ference is not going to be around to be his patsy every time.......

I agree maybe not Girouxs best idea ever to come out and ***** about it.

Agreed- but somebody else posted the whole article. In reading the entire article it sounded more like Giroux was ho-hum about it, but just stating what the reality was. Prior to this quote, I have NEVER seen him complain, whine etc. So, in that light, he will get a pass from me.

Truthfully, I think both players really despise each other. Crosby for sure is hated by allot of players, but seldom do you see him show particular angst regarding a particular player. Giroux is that player. Why? Because Giroux is pretty close to his talent. (@Polaris922- note I said 'pretty close'). Giroux has taken the hard road to get where he is. Not to say that Crosby did / does not work hard, but his road was paved a long ago. Nothing wrong with that. Just the situation.

Agreed, this has been overblown. G dealt with it!

Nothing in G's past ever suggest he is one to throw blame or whine. The comment was taken out of excerpt (after reading the entire article). I rescind my comments about him being whiny after reading the entire article. Others should also rescind there lament for Crosby after reading G's comments. It is hockey. I hate Crosby because he is a hated rival and while I respect and admire his skill level, I don't respect his gamemanship.

Giroux knew his words would be read nationwide

really ?

an interview with this paper

http://www.timminspress.com/

that covers this "ahem" metro area

https://maps.google....&gl=us&t=m&z=10

he thought talking to that guy about hockey was going to go "nationwide" ?

I don't agree, talking to ej radeck , that chode in NY larry brooks , or darren dregger; that is who you talk to when you want something "out there". not kevin anderson of the "nothern times".

Edit:taking this line or reason one step further, i also think since i haven't seen this on tsn or any other "go to" hockey news site means they don't view the story as newsworthy, now the guy at "the checking line" he needs eyeballs on his site, so yeah he's making that a story because that **** sells.

Not sure Giroux thought his words spoken to a newspaper in Timmons would be read nationwide in the US. Honestly, I'm surprised there is a golf course there.

Giroux is talking about surgery scars on a golf course in a small town Canadian paper. Yes, with the internet of the media and the desire to blow any little snippett into a BFD this was blown up - but it wasn't the focus of the story and it wasn't like Giroux was flopping on the ice in the playoffs pretending to be hurt to draw a penalty.

The difference is that Crosby whines on the ice, flops to draw cheap penalties and whines to the media after the game, too.

Giroux *did* shut up and do something about it - he planted Crosby on his ass and popped a goal in the decisive game of the series.

Then he mentioned it in passing two months later.

Another thing to consider....if G never mentions it, how do the refs know to look for this consistent hack during draws. Not saying whine or anything like that, but if the league knows about it, the refs might be instructed (in passing) to watch for the hacks during draws. Is G supposed to just let this happen, so he needs surgery again next year, let it become career threatening. Lord knows, if we try to extract *real* retribution, somebody will get suspended for life.

well I doubt you'd have to tell the officials who drop the puck; they see the hacks and whacks closeup, firsthand.

It's too bad this "checking line" guy isn't better at what he does. The takeaway from that interview should be something like: "what an easygoing guy Giroux is." It's far from how he tried to portray it, "Giroux Accuses Crosby." But here we are in the internet echo chamber where one moron with enough free time can turn anything upside down.

• Like 1

@canoli "well I doubt you'd have to tell the officials who drop the puck; they see the hacks and whacks closeup, firsthand."

Still, when an ongoing offense requires that your star player has to get surgery, it's important the league gets involved and issues warnings. It goes beyond G's importance to the Flyers, G himself is a pretty big draw and will only get bigger. For a league trying to grow itself, protecting one of their bright young stars from illegal hacks that require going under the knife, well, it's a no brainer. It's one thing for the refs to see it, another if they have been ordered to clamp down on it. That's Homer's job to bring it to their attention...that's not whining, it's straight up protecting a huge investment.

I agree with part of your post anyhow........in bold above. All I am saying is if I had the concussion issues that Sid has, I think I would be much less likely to give people a reason to one up me. Sooner or later he is going to have to answer the bell and Ference is not going to be around to be his patsy every time.......

I think Sid is too much of a competitor to just avoid playing the game the way he's always played it. I agree the last thing you want is a punch to the head, but Giroux gave him those next to the net after the whistle anyway ;) And I like the bold part too LOL

@Vanflyer @mojo1917 @flyercanuck

I suppose my thinking is he's Giroux.. he's a star in the NHL and he's going to be quoted and talked about. if nowhere else it'll make the news in Philly and the 'Burgh. I don't see what mentioning it two months later does if not just stir the pot. I think Flyers fans overall enjoy hating on Crosby, and he has a good read on his fan base. ;) Just playing the game with the media, so to speak to spark a little of the rivalry up in the off season. I DO think Giroux is mostly a class act, but can see where he'd just make the comment to stir it a little. It's one of the top ten rivalries in NHL history... why not?

@OzFlyer

Actually no... Pens fans that I spend my time with appreciate Giroux. We like skilled players overall. A lot of the even neanderthal fans as I call them don't seem to hate on him so much. Now, mention a guy like Hartnell and his antics, and you get a different story. BUT.. we've been over my opinions of him in another topic.

@radoran

I highly disagree with your evaluation of Crosby with flopping and what not. In his rookie season sure, he dove and did a lot of stupid complaining. But since then, the man has matured miles and though he is still vocal and passionate, he doesn't dive or do a lot of the BS he did as a kid fresh in the league. How many 18 year olds come in and don't have a learning curve? Think about how you'd have been as an 18 year old put in that position. I'm sure we'd all have had flaws, and he is no different. As for Giroux going after him and checking him, great play. Not something I'll really remember in a year or two though, as it was just once of many plays in a good series that your boys outplayed mine in. Everybody gets knocked down sometimes. If it were Paul Martin he'd hit instead of Crosby, many would have already forgotten about it. Wasn't a top ten body check or anything. LOL

@jammer2

Honestly... hacking at the wrists has been done for decades to win faceoffs. Remember how centermen used to wear longer cuffed gloves like defensemen? It impairs the stick handling a little which is why high skill guys like G wear shorter cuffs, but it's what protects against it. If you guys think Crosby is the only one, that Giroux doesn't do similar tricks to win faceoffs here and there, or that it won't happen again with a hundred other centers, you're only misleading yourself.

Edited by Polaris922

Not saying it does not happen all the time, but Crosby's hacks lead to surgery on G...if you think Homer has not contacted the league about Crosby's actions...you're misleading yourself. You'll see next year when he starts to get called more for that.