TSN says Doan wants 4 Year / $30 Mil

Guest activestick

Ya a big NO to the original thread topic (Doan), and a doble NO F'ING WAY to that Ryan trade propsosal.

Look, Homer took a couple big swings and missed. Let that be that and let's go into the season like we all said after the draft....with an opportunity to watch these young guys develop

Im with you. Ryan would be a really nice addition, but not at that cost. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

So, wait, as I read this - this is one report based on one source from one writer.

And now Doan is "demanding" things?

We know nothing of the context - in fact, we know virtually nothing about this situation beyond the fact that Doan obviously wants to stay in Phoenix.

We know nothing of the context - in fact, we know virtually nothing about this situation beyond the fact that Doan obviously wants to stay in Phoenix.

Context? You want context? Why do you hate America? When you put things "in context," the terrorists win!

(If you must know, Doan was actually talking about roads and bridges.)

As someone who lives in SoCal & watches a lot of Ducks games, In can tell you that Bobby Ryan is that good.

Andy,

Not many people would argue with you that Ryan is good. I don't live in California, but I watched enough Ducks' games to know that he *is* in fact very good. You keep advocating for Ryan like people disagree he is a good player.

But I just love it when everybody thinks he is a GM. How do you suppose the Flyers can get him? What exactly can they trade away to get someone of Bobby Ryan's caliber? You do realize that it will take at least 2 roster players and probably a very high draft pick? And they will not want to have anything to do with Lilja, Laughton or Sestito. The Ducks' GM is not a total moron; I am sure of that. In fact, I am almost certain that the reason why this trade has not even been made yet was because the Ducks are asking for much more than Homer is willing to give up.

I don't want to trade even Couturier alone, not to mention Couturier packaged with another important player. What will that accomplish? Absolutely zero.

And the truth is, I have no clue what the Ducks are asking for Ryan, but there is no doubt they are asking for quality players. Do you want the Flyer to have one line and nothing after that? And no defense? I would pass...

Homer tried hard to improve the team. The cards didn't quite fall the way he hoped. But the worst he can do is to make some panicky moves to weaken the team even more than it is right now.

The bottom line, Ryan will do absolutely nothing to help Bryzgalov play like an elite goalie he was supposed to be.... That's where the biggest issue is right now. Before it's solved, nothing.... no Shea Weber, no Bobby Ryan, nobody else in the world would make a difference.

Edited by Mad Dog

@Mad Dog:

1. Everyone on this board fancies himself a GM, including you. (Your comments here are but one example.) What else is the point of a forum like this? (We all talk about what our team should or should not do.)

2. No one (certainly not me) is saying or implying that it would cost nothing to acquire Ryan. That being said, there could be a way to trade for him without gutting our current team.

3. We all know that our defense could be improved. But that does not mean that our offense couldn't be improved . . . a lot.

Our top 6 d-men are not a bad combination. In fact, I think our D looks much better right now than it did for much of last season. You could easily argue that we are better on defense and worse on offense. If Homer can improve the team by strengthening our top line, why not do it? (And I'd much rather pay Bobby Ryan about $5 million/season than pay Doan $7+ million/season.) It all depends on what Anaheim is asking.

To be clear: Cooter & Schenn are off-limits, IMO. Read? Mez? Bourdon? Picks? I'm all ears.

Are you really confident that Voracek is a top line offensive player? I'm not. Not by a long shot. Ryan absolutely is. He would make that top line lethal. He & Hartnell would open up a LOT of ice for Giroux. (And G's assists would go WAY up.)

I very much doubt that Homer is finished making moves. If nothing else major gets done because everyone is asking too much, that's fine with me. But if he can land Ryan in a reasonable trade, I say do it. Why in the world not?

Edited by AndyS

@AndyS

Andy, Andy, Andy.....Voracek is not a top line offensive player?? How many games have u watched last year?? You don't see the skill and hockey sense he has?? I have been watching him since his QMJHL days and..yeah...I think he may be a little offensive. :mellow:

Edited by TimKerrFan12
  • Like 1

Posted · Hidden by TimKerrFan12, July 29, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by TimKerrFan12, July 29, 2012 - No reason given

@AndyS

Andy, Andy, Andy.....Voracek is not a top line offensive player?? How many games have u watched last year?? You don't see the skill and hockey sense he has?? I have been watching him since his QMJHL days and..yeah...I think he may be a little offensive. :mellow:

We all know that our defense could be improved. But that does not mean that our offense couldn't be improved . . . a lot.

But that's the problem.... right there. You just implied yourself that both defense *and* offense could be improved. I am not disputing it for even two seconds.......... and actually goaltending is where the most improvement is necessary, but we both know that's not happening. But how do you propose Homer does it? He is a GM, not a magician. To improve even in one position, you need to give somehting up. And to improve even in TWO positions, you need to give up even more.... CONSIDERABLY more. Who can he trade to address defense and offense? And in my opinion, defense needs improvement more critically than offense.

To be clear: Cooter & Schenn are off-limits, IMO. Read? Mez? Bourdon? Picks? I'm all ears.

Agreed about Couturier and Schenn.

Why on Earth would you be willing to trade Meszaros? Why??? He is not flawless, but he is our best offensive option on the back end right now. For better or worse, but he will be counted on to provide more than anybody that first pass out of the zone and join the rush.

I would be OK trading Bourdon and Read.... reluctantly, but if that's all that it takes to get Ryan, that's fine. But that most likely won't be enough, even if you throw in a prospect and a pick. I just can't see how that could be enough.

Edited by Mad Dog

But that's the problem.... right there. You just implied yourself that both defense *and* offense could be improved. I am not disputing it for even two seconds.......... and actually goaltending is where the most improvement is necessary, but we both know that's not happening. But how do you propose Homer does it? He is a GM, not a magician. To improve even in one position, you need to give somehting up. And to improve even in TWO positions, you need to give up even more.... CONSIDERABLY more. Who can he trade to address defense and offense? And in my opinion, defense needs improvement more critically than offense.

Agreed about Couturier and Schenn.

Why on Earth would you be willing to trade Meszaros? Why??? He is not flawless, but he is our best offensive option on the back end right now. For better or worse, but he will be counted on to provide more than anybody that first pass out of the zone and join the rush.

I would be OK trading Bourdon and Read.... reluctantly, but if that's all that it takes to get Ryan, that's fine. But that most likely won't be enough, even if you throw in a prospect and a pick. I just can't see how that could be enough.

I don't think there is anyone out there on D who would be available (who would actually be an upgrade). Yandle? (Is he even available?)

And, like I said - I think our D has actually been improved already (full season of Grossmann and the acquisition of Schenn); the offense has gotten worse (at least on paper).

Maybe the best [addition to] defense is a better offense?

We'll see.

I'm not sure he has the hockey smarts and I thought he really regressed as he went along (happily impressed at first, then increasingly irritated with him). I'd like to see a little more of Gus, though. Could be the same there, but I haven't seen enough.

The interesting thing is that HockeyFutures has both Manning and Gustafson ranked ahead of MAB. That said, MAB was VERY good in juniors. Not that it translates to the pro game, but still- he excelled and was one of the best d-men in the QMJHL. Way too early to give up on any of these three. They are not 1-2 material, but with patience all three are ranked with 3-4 potential.

Both Manning and MAB has a physical nasty side that I like. Gus can wheel and deal (as a typical Swede). I think all three need more salt and pepper before passing the book on them.

• Like 1

This is a great year for prospects to showcase their talent. I will follow Flyers no matter how the season turns out. With the new CBA, we can no longer go out and buy talent. It is important to draft well, and develop our own talent just like Pittsburgh.

This is a great year for prospects to showcase their talent. I will follow Flyers no matter how the season turns out. With the new CBA, we can no longer go out and buy talent. It is important to draft well, and develop our own talent just like Pittsburgh.

I agree it's important to draft and develop. Like Pittsburgh? Uh, no.

Picture Pittsburgh without Crosby, who they were handed. Picture them without Malkin, who was a no brainer pick to a bottom feeder team. Imagine if the league handed Crosby to Philly, and Malkin was the #2 pick instead of JVR. They took Fleury first overall. The took Staal second overall. That's hardly great drafting. Letang is about the only great drafting they've done.Pittsburgh would STILL be a lottery team if they didn't have those #1 and #2 picks 4 years in a row.. .

Picture Pittsburgh without Crosby, who they were handed. Picture them without Malkin, who was a no brainer pick to a bottom feeder team. Imagine if the league handed Crosby to Philly, and Malkin was the #2 pick instead of JVR. Pittsburgh would STILL be a lottery team. .

If we're playing the "what if" game, what if there were still only six teams? Thee Maple Leafs MAY still have a chance.

@ruxpin

True. I'm just saying when you pick top 2 it's hardly great drafting. Great drafting is getting Letang in the 3rd round. Or picking Giroux, Richards, Williams or Gagne in the mid-20s.

I do think the Pens had a nice draft this year. But part of it came in the Staal trade.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

Great points. I'm not a GM, didn't play one on TV, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express but I could draft Crosby and Malkin when given the opportunity.

A better example of good drafting is Detroit when Scotty Bowman was in charge.

And, to a certain degree, David Poile has done a nice job drafting in Nashville.

• Like 1

Picture Pittsburgh without Crosby, who they were handed. Picture them without Malkin, who was a no brainer pick to a bottom feeder team. Imagine if the league handed Crosby to Philly, and Malkin was the #2 pick instead of JVR. They took Fleury first overall. The took Staal second overall. That's hardly great drafting. Letang is about the only great drafting they've done.Pittsburgh would STILL be a lottery team if they didn't have those #1 and #2 picks 4 years in a row.. .

I think the Pens still have done well filling out their roster from their own development program. Guys like Letang and Giroux are rare finds, no doubt. But they've done well in recent history. They have some great prospects in the system, mostly on defense. I think few teams draft superstar talent that wasn't already forecast as such by the time they get to draft age.

Our top 6 d-men are not a bad combination. In fact, I think our D looks much better right now

And yet you want to include one of the better players in Meszaros as part of the deal. I don't see Schenn for Carle being much of an upgrade, just different. Losing Mez would mean they definitely got worse on D, unless a couple of the youngsters step up, and we are already counting on that with Meszaros.

Walker and Lilja are the only ones I would like to see gone, but the Ducks don't want either of them. Homer is going to have to rob the Ducks like the Rangers robbed the Blue Jackets.