The Best Defense is a Great Offense

Guest pags569

Now I'm not saying I agree with this saying one bit, but could this be Homer's thinking going into next season now that we have failed to address our main concerns with our defense? Maybe Homer will try and stack the offense in hopes we can outscore opponents this season, but this philosophy has major risks. Sure, we could bolster the O by adding Ryan somehow or even Doan (too rich for my blood), but it now seems we're in a position to strengthen our strengths and not address our weakness. If he can add to an already potent offense without subtracting does he do it or roll with what we have and hope Bryz recovers from last year?

Do you guys think this could work? Is this Homer's only option at this point for next season?

Is it Homer's only option? At this point, possibly.

I think it's a losing option, however. In hockey, I don't think that plays in the playoffs. A team can frustrate a good offense for a seven-game series. Then, it's about keeping the puck out of your own net. In fact, in the playoffs, a decent defensive team can frustrate a good offense in such a way that it actually uses that good offense against them. (passes become to long, plays get forced, a team starts looking for the pretty play, etc.) Usually, (unless you're the early-80s Oilers--but they had a goalie and "enough" defense), the team depending upon offense gets to practice that offense on the golf course in early May.

1. I think people are under-rating the changes on defense that have been made. I think a full season of Grossmann and the addition of Luke Schenn will make our D way tougher.

2. I think that our offense needs a boost. And I (despite what everyone here seems to think) think Bobby Ryan is the perfect fit to be the other wing on Giroux's line. Make that move & G will probably have well over 100 points next season. Ryan & Hartnell would open up a LOT of ice for Giroux.

I don't think it is an either-or situation for the Flyers.

1. I think people are under-rating the changes on defense that have been made. I think a full season of Grossmann and the addition of Luke Schenn will make our D way tougher.

2. I think that our offense needs a boost. And I (despite what everyone here seems to think) think Bobby Ryan is the perfect fit to be the other wing on Giroux's line. Make that move & G will probably have well over 100 points next season. Ryan & Hartnell would open up a LOT of ice for Giroux.

I don't think it is an either-or situation for the Flyers.

Andy, I just do not see what makes this defense way tougher... Schenn can hit but his d is suspect at times and can not outlet a pass to save his life. Grossman's knee is a big cocern. This defense is no better (I would ague worse) than last year's unit...

Grossman's knee is a big cocern.

why ? and i'm not being a smart alec.

did he require surgery ?

I cannot remember if he did.

and what was the injury MCL ACL, torn patella ?

some knee injuries take longer to recover from, some times the joint gets scoped and all is good.

if it was a strain he should be solid.

i'm more concerned with back surgeries on 2 of our top 4; were they back surgeries or BACK SURGERIES... see what i'm sayin'

Now I'm not saying I agree with this saying one bit, but could this be Homer's thinking going into next season now that we have failed to address our main concerns with our defense? Maybe Homer will try and stack the offense in hopes we can outscore opponents this season, but this philosophy has major risks. Sure, we could bolster the O by adding Ryan somehow or even Doan (too rich for my blood), but it now seems we're in a position to strengthen our strengths and not address our weakness. If he can add to an already potent offense without subtracting does he do it or roll with what we have and hope Bryz recovers from last year?

Do you guys think this could work? Is this Homer's only option at this point for next season?

except when you play the trap and get shut down like last year...

If I am not mistaken, Grossman did not need surgery... although I could be wrong. Was just trying to make a point that I am not sure how you could call this defense "way tougher" when there are some pieces coming back from surgeries (as you pointed out). Luke Schenn is not a replacement for Carle IMO and overall I have some major question marks about this defense.

Hopefully, Mesz can come back 100%...

@pags569

Not trying to be smart or anything, but I thought that saying was the opposite. A good defense makes a good offense. I could be wrong though.

It goes both ways, TIm. I have had coaches say it one way and had others say it the other. Personally I think they say it whichever way their positioned in for success. Again, I don't agree 100% with it and like OC pointed out, when you play a trap system it can really frustrate an offense

@pags569

Not trying to be smart or anything, but I thought that saying was the opposite. A good defense makes a good offense. I could be wrong though.

Honestly don't think I've ever heard it that way, although possibly up to each coach to try to sell what they're strong at. Only ever heard the saying "the best defense is a good offense." (or similar). I think it's true in football (keep the ball, keep the other team's offense off the field), and *possibly* soccer and baseball (but only in certain respects). Not so much in hockey, I don't think.

Your way of saying it, I think, is a better way to construct your team.

@blocker "Run and gun might get you to the playoffs, but you won't stay there long."

Agreed block. We saw it first hand with the Devs last season. A good solid defensive system will shut down a potent offense 9 times out of 10 in the post season. Problem is, we don't have the personnel to play a defensively tight game. Some type of hybrid will have to be injected, where the wheeling and dealing on offense is not sacrificed to much, but some type of defensive system will have to be installed to cut down on the odd man breaks and stop teams from cycling at will against us. A big part of that is smart neutral zone play and having forwards that can convert from offense to defense in a millisecond in the neutral zone. We don't seem to cut off passing lanes very well in the neutral zone, giving teams free entry to our zone much to often. Part of that problem is lack of vision/anticipation, only Giroux and a couple others have it.

@blocker "Run and gun might get you to the playoffs, but you won't stay there long."

Agreed block. We saw it first hand with the Devs last season. A good solid defensive system will shut down a potent offense 9 times out of 10 in the post season. Problem is, we don't have the personnel to play a defensively tight game. Some type of hybrid will have to be injected, where the wheeling and dealing on offense is not sacrificed to much, but some type of defensive system will have to be installed to cut down on the odd man breaks and stop teams from cycling at will against us. A big part of that is smart neutral zone play and having forwards that can convert from offense to defense in a millisecond in the neutral zone. We don't seem to cut off passing lanes very well in the neutral zone, giving teams free entry to our zone much to often. Part of that problem is lack of vision/anticipation, only Giroux and a couple others have it.

we also don't have a goalie than we can play a defensive type game..I always expect Bryz to give up atleast 3 goals a game..he's so overpaid and overrated it's pathetic..

@orange_crush Yes, unlike other teams, if we play a *perfect* game, he will still let in 2 softies, so we start out down 2-0 before the puck drops...except for the six weeks where he plays like a real tender...then we get our hopes up....just to be crushed again. Sad....really.

• Like 1

@orange_crush Yes, unlike other teams, if we play a *perfect* game, he will still let in 2 softies, so we start out down 2-0 before the puck drops...except for the six weeks where he plays like a real tender...then we get our hopes up....just to be crushed again. Sad....really.

the scary part is his backup is Leighton...so if Bryz has his usual meltdown were screwed...atleast Bob was able to steal a few games for us..

and having forwards that can convert from offense to defense in a millisecond in the neutral zone

Remember the Canadiens with LaFleur, Steve Shutt, Jacques Lemaire, Bob Gainey, et al? Their teams had the best defense in the league. That group of forwards could have ignored defensive duties and still would have won most games. But, as soon as Montreal lost possession of the puck, all those guys hustled back. Other teams faced all 5 Canadiens when they tried to attack.

It isn't easy to emulate that type of play. Other teams have tried it, but lack of personnel, coaching or fire have precluded.

Flyers don't have nearly the defense, nor the goaltending of those teams. But, we do have a bunch of eager, young legs. Some type of the same kind of intensity and hustle might give Flyers a chance to win it all.

• Like 1

It would be great if our centermen could all get to 50% or better on faceoffs.

it is so much easier to play the puck possession game when you're not chasing the puck, the wingers can certainly lhelp with that, that is one area where hard work and practice can pay off, learn some tricks clean or dirty, support the C on the stalemate with the wing.

if you have the puck from the get go, it's a lot harder for the other guy to cycle it on you.

the scary part is his backup is Leighton...so if Bryz has his usual meltdown were screwed...atleast Bob was able to steal a few games for us..

I agree about Leighton, but when the hell did Bob steal a game?