Trading Danny Briere? Sabres could be potential trade partner

Guest Irishjim

Ok see some of your points, but I guess I'm also basing lots on the perception of Ryan in Anaheim. And I admit, I don't know the answer to my own question. Is he perceived as "wanting to get out," based on some comments. If so, bringing in a "playoff proven" guy will sell a lot more tickets this year, and send a message to fans that going after the Kings immediately rather than when and if some kids develop .

Secondly, bringing in a Briere type vet fits better to compete immediately with Getzlaf, Perry, Selana, and Kiouvu. Also the D they added all has some wear on it's tires, in Souray and Allen. Yes they have Sbisa and Fowler as the young future but the D moves they made this offseason, say win now.

Trading Ryan for younger players maybe smarter for their future window, agreed; but Briere makes more sense in a shorter window.

Selanne and Koivu are up after this coming year!

@Indians58 We gave up picks and youth for one or two years of Pronger in the playoffs, how did that work out? I see your "all in" scenario...Prob the last year for Selanne and Koivu, with Perry and Getzlaf possibly on the way out also, there is a very small window there. Just seems like there are more guaranteed "all in" types of acquisitions to make, ones that do not harm the franchise long term.

Question, do you really think Jonas Hillier will transform himself into a Stanley Cup Champion type of tender? If I'm the Ducks and going "all in" I might start exploring the goaltending issues before second line center. I'd rather have Koivu anchoring my second line and adding a new goalie to compete with Hillier if I'm the Ducks GM.

Besides the cap hit difference, age difference, there is also the wear and tear on the smallish Danny B. When does he start to break down...will he even be healthy for a long playoff run? If I'm pondering this question, you can be the Ducks GM would be doing the same. Why not get a package from the Jets centered around Bryan Little (with the arrival of Jokinen, his spot in the top 6 for the Jets is not secure) and prospects and or second tier players? At least you would know he would be contributing for 5 or 6 years to come.

As long as we're speculating...

I think we should trade Briere to Nashville for Shea Weber.

Nashville needs to stay close to the cap floor, and Briere's salary is lower than his hit the next two years.

Nashville needs a second line center.

Nashville can't afford Weber.

Briere likes music and wears hats occasionally.

The Flyers want to trade Briere because... well, I mean, just because.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

He is a Cherry Hill rink rat and he has pretty decent offensive numbers.

I know, but still of the Anaheim players, Perry and Getzlaf are UFA's next year. I put Ryan after those two (and truefully- Fowler is the guy I would really want of all of them). Ryan will cost assets to get and the assets you would have to give would prospectively match Ryans production anyway. I would rather go after the UFA's and not give up the assets. Fowler would be another discussion entirely and I would be willing to give up assets for him. I think he is another Karlson (but not Green).

@Vanflyer Seen a LOT of Fowler during my Spits second Memorial Cup run. We have not seen the best of this kid, not by a long shot. We desperately need a young pp qb. I'd be willing to give up quite a bit to get him in O&B!!! Kid has mad skills!! Will never be a physical presence, but wow is he silky smooth with great vision!

@Vanflyer Seen a LOT of Fowler during my Spits second Memorial Cup run. We have not seen the best of this kid, not by a long shot. We desperately need a young pp qb. I'd be willing to give up quite a bit to get him in O&B!!! Kid has mad skills!! Will never be a physical presence, but wow is he silky smooth with great vision!

Anaheim would certainly be pleased if he can progress like Karlsson. Fowler is almost two years younger than Karlsson. What you wrote is what I have heard as well. When Anaheim was going through their nobody is untouchable phase last year, I had hoped we would have tried to pry him away from Anaheim. In hind site, I would have liked to send Carle their way and our first.