Flyers, Laviolette agree to contract extension

Guest Irishjim

Laviolette_WCPractice1.jpg

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they agreed to terms with head coach Peter Laviolette on a multi-year contract extension, according to General Manager Paul Holmgren.

"We are thrilled to have Peter continue his work with our group as we push to compete for the Stanley Cup,” Holmgren said. “Peter has done a terrific job for us and is very deserving of this extension."

Laviolette

was named the 17th head coach in Flyers history on December 4, 2009. Since joining the club, he has had one of the most successful runs of any Flyers head coach in the last 25 years. Laviolette has posted a regular season record of 122-73-26 since his hiring, including back-to-back 47-win seasons – the most wins the Flyers have had in a two-season period since 1985-87.

Since Laviolette’s hiring, the Flyers have the third-most wins in the Eastern Conference (122), behind only Pittsburgh and Washington (127 each). Over the past two full seasons, the Flyers are second in the Eastern Conference and third overall in the NHL in standings points (209) and in points percentage (.637).

The Flyers have also enjoyed unprecedented success on the road under Laviolette, winning a franchise-record 25 games in 2010-11 and matching that total last season.

Laviolette’s overall record in the playoffs with the Flyers has also been among the league’s best.

He led the club on a remarkable playoff run in his first season as the Flyers won the Eastern Conference championship and made the eighth Stanley Cup Final appearance in franchise history. Under his watch, the Flyers have been the only team in the league to reach the second round of the playoffs (or further) in each of the last three seasons. The Flyers have participated in eight playoff series in that time, more than any other team. In terms of overall playoff performance, Laviolette’s teams in Carolina and Philadelphia have taken part in 12 playoff series since the lockout, which is the third-most by any NHL coach after Mike Babcock (17 with Detroit) and Joel Quenville (13 with Colorado and Chicago).

Get a jump on securing your 2012-13 Flyers full or partial season ticket packages today! Flyers season ticket holders receive great benefits including discounts from box office pricing. Reserve your tickets today by visiting PhiladelphiaFlyers.com or call 215-218-PUCK (7825)

this extension sounds good to me. The Flyers brand of hockey since he joined the team has been highly entertaining and there's no denying the success the team has had since he came on board. His systems aren't without their flaws though and I'm hoping this coming season we'll see a slight shift in his approach. I personally would like to see him have the Flyers continue their approach to a high powered offense but tweak it so the defense isn't weak like it was in the past. I'd also really like to see a lot less of the Flyers defensemen carrying the puck to the net. If they want to skate it up fine. They can even carry it into the zone if they have that much steam, but I would just cringe any time I saw Coburn take the puck into the zone and then continue to carry the puck behind the net. Why do that? He never really set anyone up out front with that move and it wasn't like he'd use his body to successfully establish the cycle, he'd just take it in way deep, then dump it off to someone before going back to his post. I think if that's all you are going to get out of that play, then he should be looking to dump it off closer to the slot and then get right back on the point. The way the example is now, he takes a forward out of position (someone needs to cover his spot) and the whole thing just takes longer to get back into a natural rhythm. If he or any other defenseman were putting up a decent number of breakaway goals then I wouldn't have a problem but as it is it just make him another grindy forward which isn't what they need. There's jumping in on the offense and then there's just being there, I'd rather him settle in on the point and worry more about booming shots on net from there then take himself out of position to gain almost nothing.

Back to Lavy though, glad they got this done. Another benefit is he established his brand of hockey, and then last year the team transitioned in all of this youth. They have a taste of what to expect,now the team can grow and build on this system and a (hopefully) cohesive whole.

this extension sounds good to me. The Flyers brand of hockey since he joined the team has been highly entertaining and there's no denying the success the team has had since he came on board. His systems aren't without their flaws though and I'm hoping this coming season we'll see a slight shift in his approach. I personally would like to see him have the Flyers continue their approach to a high powered offense but tweak it so the defense isn't weak like it was in the past. I'd also really like to see a lot less of the Flyers defensemen carrying the puck to the net. If they want to skate it up fine. They can even carry it into the zone if they have that much steam, but I would just cringe any time I saw Coburn take the puck into the zone and then continue to carry the puck behind the net. Why do that? He never really set anyone up out front with that move and it wasn't like he'd use his body to successfully establish the cycle, he'd just take it in way deep, then dump it off to someone before going back to his post. I think if that's all you are going to get out of that play, then he should be looking to dump it off closer to the slot and then get right back on the point. The way the example is now, he takes a forward out of position (someone needs to cover his spot) and the whole thing just takes longer to get back into a natural rhythm. If he or any other defenseman were putting up a decent number of breakaway goals then I wouldn't have a problem but as it is it just make him another grindy forward which isn't what they need. There's jumping in on the offense and then there's just being there, I'd rather him settle in on the point and worry more about booming shots on net from there then take himself out of position to gain almost nothing.

Back to Lavy though, glad they got this done. Another benefit is he established his brand of hockey, and then last year the team transitioned in all of this youth. They have a taste of what to expect,now the team can grow and build on this system and a (hopefully) cohesive whole.

Greetings:

i like what you say. This is a good thing in terms of continuity. We are growing a cohort of youngsters with his attack style.

My fear for him is our D-Goal. That is a real wildcard for the coming year.

Best to all,

Howie