2012-13 Lines

Guest B21

OK Pens (and Flyers) fans (i.e. - Polaris & DinahMoe)...

What are your lines/pairings to start the season? Combine what you want and expect...

Dupuis/Crosby/Tangredi

Neal/Malkin/Kunitz

Cooke/Sutter/Kennedy

Adams/Glass/Vitale

Jeffrey

Letang/Orpik

Niskanen/Martin

Depres/Engelland

Lovejoy

Fleury

Voukoun

I think Depres works his way up to the 2nd pairing before the ASB.

On the off chance they land Doan, Tangredi gets bumped. Make or break year for him.

OK Pens (and Flyers) fans (i.e. - Polaris & DinahMoe)...

What are your lines/pairings to start the season? Combine what you want and expect...

Dupuis/Crosby/Tangredi

Neal/Malkin/Kunitz

Cooke/Sutter/Kennedy

Adams/Glass/Vitale

Jeffrey

Letang/Orpik

Niskanen/Martin

Depres/Engelland

Lovejoy

Fleury

Voukoun

I think Depres works his way up to the 2nd pairing before the ASB.

On the off chance they land Doan, Tangredi gets bumped. Make or break year for him.

I agree with what you have here and quite frankly, it worries me some. I'm not sold on Tangradi, as you said, it's make or break I think. I love his size and effort, but he's not producing anything.

I also don't see Doan coming here. If the rumor he wants $7 mill a year is true I don't see it. Regardless of whether he wants to be here or not.

Depres needs to step up a little more to surpass Lovejoy. Lovejoy has turned in some solid defensive play, and the organization seems to think highly of him. Of course, it's been another year for Depres so we'll see how well he does in camp.

I agree with what you have here and quite frankly, it worries me some. I'm not sold on Tangradi, as you said, it's make or break I think. I love his size and effort, but he's not producing anything.

I also don't see Doan coming here. If the rumor he wants $7 mill a year is true I don't see it. Regardless of whether he wants to be here or not.

Depres needs to step up a little more to surpass Lovejoy. Lovejoy has turned in some solid defensive play, and the organization seems to think highly of him. Of course, it's been another year for Depres so we'll see how well he does in camp.

I have to say I also agree with what you've already laid out. Like Polaris, I also am not sold at all on Tangradi. His skill set on paper makes him a good linemate for Sid, but he's never seemed to get to the "next level." It kind of stinks because I had high hopes for the kid at one point. Who knows, maybe this is the year he blossoms. And yes, like you said, it's make or break for him.

Despres is a kid I really, really like. I can also see him moving up during the course of the year. I'd love to see Martin the he|| out of here, but it's looking less and less likely that's going to happen. We have some great defensive depth in the system with the new arrivals and guys like Strait and Morrow. If Martin stinks it up again I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the kids called up... but there's that pesky little salary thing that Martin has going. :(

I'm really excited about having Vokoun backing up/relieving Flower this year. I think our goaltending took a great leap forward over the offseason.

As for Doan, I don't think I see him coming here either. And honestly, at the price tag and contract length he's rumored to be commanding I wouldn't want him. He's on the downside of his career. Really nice player to have, but not at that amount and length. I'd rather Shero save the money for the trade deadline so that we can address any weaknesses we have at that point. Of course, one of those weaknesses is still likely to be a solid winger for Sid. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see Tangradi cutting it. Sure, his production will go up a little just from playing with Sid, but still not to where it should be. When we picked up Sully last year I never thought I'd say "man, I miss that guy" once he was gone, but that's the way I'm feeling right now. Is he superstar caliber? No. But he was shifty, speedy and creative. I realize he plays a different game than Tangradi, but still. Anyway, enough of that.

One more thing...

I may be in the minority as far as a lot of Pens fans are concerned, but I'm really excited about Sutter in the 3rd line center role. Polaris has said before that he feels Sutter will make us tougher to play against than Staal has recently and I'm pretty much in agreement. He has some nice offensive upside, but also a great shut-down guy as well. Sure, there are certain ways in which we'll miss Staal (some of those sentimental), but Sutter was a great pickup!

I have to say I also agree with what you've already laid out. Like Polaris, I also am not sold at all on Tangradi. His skill set on paper makes him a good linemate for Sid, but he's never seemed to get to the "next level." It kind of stinks because I had high hopes for the kid at one point. Who knows, maybe this is the year he blossoms. And yes, like you said, it's make or break for him.

Despres is a kid I really, really like. I can also see him moving up during the course of the year. I'd love to see Martin the he|| out of here, but it's looking less and less likely that's going to happen. We have some great defensive depth in the system with the new arrivals and guys like Strait and Morrow. If Martin stinks it up again I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the kids called up... but there's that pesky little salary thing that Martin has going. :(

I'm really excited about having Vokoun backing up/relieving Flower this year. I think our goaltending took a great leap forward over the offseason.

As for Doan, I don't think I see him coming here either. And honestly, at the price tag and contract length he's rumored to be commanding I wouldn't want him. He's on the downside of his career. Really nice player to have, but not at that amount and length. I'd rather Shero save the money for the trade deadline so that we can address any weaknesses we have at that point. Of course, one of those weaknesses is still likely to be a solid winger for Sid. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see Tangradi cutting it. Sure, his production will go up a little just from playing with Sid, but still not to where it should be. When we picked up Sully last year I never thought I'd say "man, I miss that guy" once he was gone, but that's the way I'm feeling right now. Is he superstar caliber? No. But he was shifty, speedy and creative. I realize he plays a different game than Tangradi, but still. Anyway, enough of that.

One more thing...

I may be in the minority as far as a lot of Pens fans are concerned, but I'm really excited about Sutter in the 3rd line center role. Polaris has said before that he feels Sutter will make us tougher to play against than Staal has recently and I'm pretty much in agreement. He has some nice offensive upside, but also a great shut-down guy as well. Sure, there are certain ways in which we'll miss Staal (some of those sentimental), but Sutter was a great pickup!

Maybe Tangradi just needs ice time with a center more capable than Craig Adams. I hope so. He could be like Stevens was, just needing that big ice time to develop.

I like the Vokoun acquisition as well. Johnson was a great backup at one time but last season I think spelled the end of his career.

I'm with you on Sutter as well. He'll be better defensively than Staal ever was IMO. As we've talked before there's more to third line center than offense, though he did score 17 goals last year, only 8 less than Staal with nowhere near the ice time or talent around him that Staal had.

And I thought the Flyers will have issues with offensive depth. That first line looks suspect. Aside from not knowing what to epxect out of Tangredi, do you feel Dupuis can repeat his production from the last year? I guess playing with Crosby it's not so unreasonable to expect.

You know better of course, but personally I would move Neil to the frst line to play with Crosby.

I think you guys will miss Stall more than you believe you will... but time will tell.

personally I would move Neil to the frst line to play with Crosby.

The only problem with that is that Neal developed a real chemistry with Malkin while Crosby was out last year. Actually, that whole line (including Kunitz) developed a nice chemistry.

I can't disagree with seeing the first line as a little suspect, and who knows if Dupuis can repeat his 11-12 production (I suspect he can), but the way I see it is this... for the 12-13 season we're minus Staal and Sullivan, and plus Crosby and Sutter. I can't see the offense being much different than last year in terms of overall production. Obviously there's the Asham gone and Glass in scenario, too, but we're talking offense here. :D

All of that said, I'm still holding out hope that Shero can pull off some kind of move - even if it's at the trade deadline - for a solid winger for 87. A boy can dream, right?

And I thought the Flyers will have issues with offensive depth. That first line looks suspect. Aside from not knowing what to epxect out of Tangredi, do you feel Dupuis can repeat his production from the last year? I guess playing with Crosby it's not so unreasonable to expect.

You know better of course, but personally I would move Neil to the frst line to play with Crosby.

I think you guys will miss Stall more than you believe you will... but time will tell.

Appreciate your input Mad Dog. Yeah I think Dupuis can reproduce his total if he's skating with Crosby. He reminds me a lot of Robbie Brown skating with Lemieux. Not expecting 40+ or anything crazy, but 25 - 30 isn't out of the question.

I'd love to see Tangradi step up but it remains to be seen. I have high hopes for him, just hope he can live up to them!

As for Neal... He's been too good with Malkin and Kunitz to mess with that, like DinahMoeHumm said. Maybe different if halfway through the season it's not working, but after last season I don't think that will be a problem.

I'm also looking forward to a real shut down center on the third line. A true defensive mindset. Something Staal never had.

Okay... Let's get the season started already!

@Polaris922

@DinahMoeHumm

<< Maybe Tangradi just needs ice time with a center more capable than Craig Adams. I hope so. He could be like Stevens was, just needing that big ice time to develop. >>

Ding ding ding! That is my biggest pet peeve with the Pens. Don't bring up a scorer for minutes on the 4th line. In Tangredi's "chances" he's been stuck on the 4th line with minimal minutes. Give him a chance in the pre-season on Crosby's line and on the 2nd PP unit playing in front of the net. If he shows you something, great. If not, were f'd anyway...

I'm not "too" worried about the loss of Staal's offense; in an odd twist that's made up for with a healthy Crosby. The two were rarely healthy at the same time over the last two seasons and the Pens' were still among the top scoring teams in the league. On D and on the PK, Sutter is a small drop off if any i/m/o.

Dupuis is our Hartnell...with better hair. 30+ year old coming off a career year. I expect a drop off though nothing overwhelming.

Very very VERY high on Depres. In his limited time up last year, I was impressed. Pens basically swapped Michalek for Depres...big improvement.

Respectfully disagree with @MadDog. I DO NOT break up Neal/Malkin/Kunitz.

Crosby is Lemieux-like (though not equal) in his ability to make players better. I don't think he could make Warren Young into a 40 goal guy but I think he'd do well with Dupuis and Tangredi.

Speaking on Warren Young...best career stat line ever. Guess which year he played with Mario? :)

Season Age Tm Lg GP G A PTS GC +/- PIM EV PP SH GW S S% TOI ATOI Career NHL 236 72 77 149 61 -68 472 51 21 0 5 294 24.5 1981-82 26 MNS NHL 1 0 0 0 0 -3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1982-83 27 MNS NHL 4 1 1 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 50.0 1983-84 28 PIT NHL 15 1 7 8 2 -2 19 1 0 0 0 12 8.3 1984-85 29 PIT NHL 80 40 32 72 31 -20 174 31 9 0 3 130 30.8 1985-86 30 DET NHL 79 22 24 46 19 -34 161 13 9 0 1 95 23.2 1986-87 31 PIT NHL 50 8 13 21 8 -5 103 5 3 0 1 52 15.4 1987-88 32 PIT NHL 7 0 0 0 0 -4 15 0 0 0 0 3 0.0

@Polaris922

@DinahMoeHumm

<< Maybe Tangradi just needs ice time with a center more capable than Craig Adams. I hope so. He could be like Stevens was, just needing that big ice time to develop. >>

Ding ding ding! That is my biggest pet peeve with the Pens. Don't bring up a scorer for minutes on the 4th line. In Tangredi's "chances" he's been stuck on the 4th line with minimal minutes. Give him a chance in the pre-season on Crosby's line and on the 2nd PP unit playing in front of the net. If he shows you something, great. If not, were f'd anyway...

I'm not "too" worried about the loss of Staal's offense; in an odd twist that's made up for with a healthy Crosby. The two were rarely healthy at the same time over the last two seasons and the Pens' were still among the top scoring teams in the league. On D and on the PK, Sutter is a small drop off if any i/m/o.

Dupuis is our Hartnell...with better hair. 30+ year old coming off a career year. I expect a drop off though nothing overwhelming.

Very very VERY high on Depres. In his limited time up last year, I was impressed. Pens basically swapped Michalek for Depres...big improvement.

Respectfully disagree with @MadDog. I DO NOT break up Neal/Malkin/Kunitz.

Crosby is Lemieux-like (though not equal) in his ability to make players better. I don't think he could make Warren Young into a 40 goal guy but I think he'd do well with Dupuis and Tangredi.

Speaking on Warren Young...best career stat line ever. Guess which year he played with Mario? :)

Season Age Tm Lg GP G A PTS GC +/- PIM EV PP SH GW S S% TOI ATOI Career NHL 236 72 77 149 61 -68 472 51 21 0 5 294 24.5 1981-82 26 MNS NHL 1 0 0 0 0 -3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1982-83 27 MNS NHL 4 1 1 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 50.0 1983-84 28 PIT NHL 15 1 7 8 2 -2 19 1 0 0 0 12 8.3 1984-85 29 PIT NHL 80 40 32 72 31 -20 174 31 9 0 3 130 30.8 1985-86 30 DET NHL 79 22 24 46 19 -34 161 13 9 0 1 95 23.2 1986-87 31 PIT NHL 50 8 13 21 8 -5 103 5 3 0 1 52 15.4 1987-88 32 PIT NHL 7 0 0 0 0 -4 15 0 0 0 0 3 0.0

Agree on all points, including Warren Young... Except Sutter being a slight drop defensively from Staal. I firmly believe the Pens got tougher defensively with Staal's departure. I know I've beaten that horse plenty... But I feel very strongly about this. Lol