Is This Fantacy Hockey?

Guest idahophilly

@radoran If Snider did not inquire with anyone before signing Bryz to this ridiculous deal, he's a baffon. Who spends 50 mill without asking the scouts (who they pay quite well to perform just that function) if they think it's worth it? No safety net....just offer up the cash and that's it? With the future of the team at stake? Snider is not even qualified to make this type of decision, he may have the final say, but he's not pro scout...I don't buy this, somebody from the scouting department ok'ed this fiasco IMHO.

@radoran If Snider did not inquire with anyone before signing Bryz to this ridiculous deal, he's a baffon. Who spends 50 mill without asking the scouts (who they pay quite well to perform just that function) if they think it's worth it? No safety net....just offer up the cash and that's it? With the future of the team at stake? Snider is not even qualified to make this type of decision, he may have the final say, but he's not pro scout...I don't buy this, somebody from the scouting department ok'ed this fiasco IMHO.

Well, I disagree with your characterization that he couldn't stop a determined 3-on-2 from a mite squad.

That said, who came up with the 9Y/$51M term? Dave Brown? Al Hill? Ross Fitzpatrick? John Chapman?

There are your scouts. Who among them decided that the nine-year, $5.67M term? Who among them, when Homer comes in and says "Ed wants us to sign Bryzgalov" steps up and says "that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, we time this guy post to post with a sundial!"

In that respect, yes, the scouts *may* have failed. Given the way they have run the organization for the past 20 years - I'm not surprised.

But the decision was first, last and always Ed Snider's.

I probably would be, but I think maybe that's their mindset... they always put the Flyers in a position to compete, if not win it all. They've given us some exciting teams and some exciting hockey despite the lack of Cups. Would you rather have the Pittsburgh model of sucking for 5 years, stocking up on #1 draft picks, and then have a Stanley Cup to show for it?

Also @ctid

You make it sound like we had a choice! LOL Pittsburgh isn't a big money sports market like Philadelphia is, and trust me, it absolutely sucked being a big fan of a team who no matter how hard they try, doesn't have the money to truly compete in the league. I watched them try again and again with has-been stars and being forced to trade away big name players (Jagr, Kovalev) for nobody players in return because we couldn't afford to keep them. The revenue sharing is a huge help to small markets like ours, and that's why I was pulling so hard for Nashville against Holmgren's offer sheet as well.

Simply put, you absolutely DON'T want to go through what we went through on and off for decades. A lot of Flyers faithful seem to paint the Pens as having thrown away season after season in the hopes of getting first round picks, but honestly, until Lemieux brought in a billionaire partner and some revenue sharing took hold, they simply had no real choice in the matter. Broke is broke. The Oilers aren't much different. They weren't exactly owned by Comcast either ;)

@Polaris922

I give you that. Us Flyers fans, well me anyways, sometimes take it for granted that the Flyers have no money issues and can spend what they like, only limited by the cap and not the business as such.

I guess, if the Flyers ranked in the middle of the pack, money and budget wise, there would be a huge possibility of the Flyers ending up at the bottom of the league for consecutive years, especially after the 06/07 season. If they didn't have all that money, no Briere, no Timonen, no Hartnell. We'd just have drafted JVR and for the next few years would probably have a lottery pick. But the money helped stabilize things and bring some good immediate, developed talent in. Without the money, that talent does not come in, forces you to overly rely on youngsters/lesser talent, results in lottery picks consecutive years.

But whether or not the Pens "chose" to suck and get top 5 picks every year for 5 years in a row on purpose or it was a result of "we don't have any money" I do not know....but being a Flyers fan I'm definitely leaning towards the former :)

@ctid

Somehow I figured. ;). But living under the threat of your team leaving for a decade and a half really sucked. You guys are blessed in mostly competitive teams through the years. We've been blessed with short bursts of great teams. I'm hoping it stays this way now!