The low down on Pouliot

Guest jammer2

@jammer2

He plays on my local Hawks team. The kid is a great skater with amazing hands. Decent on D but bringing offense is his game. He is kind of streaky though. At times he will look like the best player on the ice but can disappear for weeks at a time. i honestly expected a lot more out of him this past season. He needs to put the intangibles together better to make the jump

@jammer2: Great article, and thanks for posting!

@Claude Monet: I've heard some of the same in terms of him being streaky. And actually, you can pretty much gather that from the article as well. The plus is that he seems to have all the right tools in the toolbox and just needs some guidance and proper development to really flourish. I think after a few years in the system he's going to be a really solid player. I'm definitely happy with the pick.

Also...pretty funny, these pre-draft rankings have Matta at #8 and Pouliot at #21, almost exact flip flops in their actual selections....weird.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-final-100-rankings-125/

There is no way Matta should've been there for our Pens to pick. I was very surprised.

@Polaris922 I was shocked also. Guess flash and dash is more valuable than a steady dependable defender these days...not in my books. The guy does everything well, but nothing great (except for positioning, he's elite at that IMHO), a LOT of teams screwed up not taking him, including my Flyers.

@Polaris922 I was shocked also. Guess flash and dash is more valuable than a steady dependable defender these days...not in my books. The guy does everything well, but nothing great (except for positioning, he's elite at that IMHO), a LOT of teams screwed up not taking him, including my Flyers.

Agreed. I've tried to make sense of the Laughton draft and I know we beat that to death in its own thread, but it still leaves me puzzled. We'll see what the two turn into I suppose!