Fyers have traded a staggering number of first round players, just about all -list below

Guest RonJeremy

i was just think about how the Flyers constantly trade away their first round draft picks after a very short time period and only a handful have lasted with the team for a long stretch.. some guys we kept until they were in their late 20's and then moved for young players or picks, but for the most part we traded the majority within 2- 5 years.Some were involved in good trades, but it would be nice to see a homegrown guy be a Flyer for life. to me if your that eager to dump your first rounders, either your not picking the right player, or your not showing any patience. Had we drafted Parise, Seabrooke, Perry, Dustin Brown or Getzlaf, which we passed on for Carter and Richards... would we have been that eager to dump them? So either we are picking the wrong guys, or not giving them a fair time period to blossom. I think our only first rounder ...Bill Barber retired as a career Flyer. Im almost certain we have traded away most of our second rounders as well.

1978- Behn Wilson ,Ken Linseman- both traded after a relatively short time

1979- Brian Propp- played with Flyers for a long time, eventually traded-

1980, Mike Stothers - total flop

1981 Steve Smith- total flop

1982- Ron Sutter- played a long time eventually traded

1983- traded pick

1984- traded pick

1985 Glenn Seabrooke- total flop

1986 Kerry Huffman- traded in Lindros deal

1987 Darren Rumble- total flop

1988 Claude Boivin- total flop

1989- traded pick

1990- Mike Ricci- traded in Lindros deal

1991- Peter Forsberg- traded in Lindros deal

1992-Jason Bown -total flop

1993- traded pick

1994-traded pick

1995- Brian Boucher- traded after short time

1996- Daninus zubrus- traded after short time

1997- traded pick

1998- Simon Gagne- long careeer with Flyers ,eventually traded

1999- Max Oulette- traded after short time

2000- Justin Williams- traded after short time

2001- JeffWoywitk- traded after a short time

2002- Joni Pitkanen- traded after a short time

2003- Jeff Carter, Mike Richards- traded with 5 years

2004- traded pick

2005- Steve Downie- traded after a short time

2006- Claude Giroux- should be a Flyer for life

2007- JVR- traded after a short time

2008- Luca Sbisa- traded after a short time in Pronger deal

2009- traded pick

2010- traded pick

2011-traded pick

so here it is , we have traded almost every single first round player ,we have ever drafted, and we have also traded a bunch of first round draft picks and probably most of our second round picks.

I hindsight the 2 biggest deals we made in trading players/picks did not really work out for us, the Lindros and Pronger trades... Pronger played a few years, and Forsberg alone was a better player than Lindros...

i was just think about how the Flyers constantly trade away their first round draft picks after a very short time period and only a handful have lasted with the team for a long stretch.. some guys we kept until they were in their late 20's and then moved for young players or picks, but for the most part we traded the majority within 2- 5 years.Some were involved in good trades, but it would be nice to see a homegrown guy be a Flyer for life. to me if your that eager to dump your first rounders, either your not picking the right player, or your not showing any patience. Had we drafted Parise, Seabrooke, Perry, Dustin Brown or Getzlaf, which we passed on for Carter and Richards... would we have been that eager to dump them? So either we are picking the wrong guys, or not giving them a fair time period to blossom. I think our only first rounder ...Bill Barber retired as a career Flyer. Im almost certain we have traded away most of our second rounders as well.

1978- Behn Wilson ,Ken Linseman- both traded after a relatively short time

1979- Brian Propp- played with Flyers for a long time, eventually traded-

1980, Mike Stothers - total flop

1981 Steve Smith- total flop

1982- Ron Sutter- played a long time eventually traded

1983- traded pick

1984- traded pick

1985 Glenn Seabrooke- total flop

1986 Kerry Huffman- traded in Lindros deal

1987 Darren Rumble- total flop

1988 Claude Boivin- total flop

1989- traded pick

1990- Mike Ricci- traded in Lindros deal

1991- Peter Forsberg- traded in Lindros deal

1992-Jason Bown -total flop

1993- traded pick

1994-traded pick

1995- Brian Boucher- traded after short time

1996- Daninus zubrus- traded after short time

1997- traded pick

1998- Simon Gagne- long careeer with Flyers ,eventually traded

1999- Max Oulette- traded after short time

2000- Justin Williams- traded after short time

2001- JeffWoywitk- traded after a short time

2002- Joni Pitkanen- traded after a short time

2003- Jeff Carter, Mike Richards- traded with 5 years

2004- traded pick

2005- Steve Downie- traded after a short time

2007- JVR- traded after a short time

2008- Luca Sbisa- traded after a short time in Pronger deal

2009- traded pick

2010- traded pick

2011-traded pick

so here it is , we have traded almost every single first round player ,we have ever drafted, and we have also traded a bunch of first round draft picks and probably most of our second round picks.

I hindsight the 2 biggest deals we made in trading players/picks did not really work out for us, the Lindros and Pronger trades... Pronger played a few years, and Forsberg alone was a better player than Lindros...

So what you're saying is the Flyers lack patience and most come to the fact they can't draft defensemen and/or goaltenders...so when that happens you have to raid someone elses farm and that usually cost...till they improve their ability to draft all positions besides center this will continue...another prime example is every where identifies the Flyers "NEEDS" is defensive help and low and behold what do they draft with their #1 pick?????

ANOTHER GODD*MN CENTER!!!!!!!

...with plenty of good defensive help just sitting there!!!!!!

Really!!!!!

Really??????

Not that i don't think Laughton will be good but...

..to me it's like wanting a bowl of cereal yet you're out of milk, so you go to the store for milk yet instead buy more cereal only to get home to find you still can't have your cereal because you still didn't buy no damn milk!!!!!!!! You decided to get some on the next store trip...

I know i know why am i using cereal as an example...hey it's just what i'm eating at the time...

Few players stay with the team that drafted them for their entire career. I'm sure you would see similar stats for the other teams in the league.

I agree totaly! Just as an example, you can't count Gagne as having been traded away with no patience in keeping him. Virtually no player plays for one team there whole career. Not saying the Flyers couldn't have done better but that "data" could be skewed very easily...

• Like 1

Let's look at the picks, what they've gone on to do, and what the Flyers got in return:

1995- Brian Boucher - Was with the Flyers from 2000-2002 during which time he helped the Flyers to the ECF. Up until he was re-acquired by the Flyers, never posted a sv% above .906. Traded for Michal Handzus and Robert Esche, who outperformed Boucher's performance for the Flyers over the next two seasons (0.915 and 0.907 sv%).

1996- Daninus zubrus- traded after three years including a 63 game, 8 point campaign in 1997-1998 for Mark Recchi. Right around .5ppg for his career.

1997- traded pick for Paul Coffey. Pick became Scott Hannan.

1998- Simon Gagne- long careeer with Flyers ,eventually traded. Though they were two separate transactions, he was basically traded for Meszaros, Walker, and a 4th round pick. One of my favorite Flyers.

1999- Max Oullet- traded after short time - Traded for Adam Oates. Never played a game in the NHL.

2000- Justin Williams- Posted 105 points in 227 games over 4 seasons for the Flyers before being traded for Danny Markov. Had shown promise here but wasn't able to excel. Has increased his production to become a .75ppg player since leaving the flyers, after being sub-.5ppg with them.

2001- Jeff Woywitka- Has played in just 6 NHL seasons since 2001, averaging just a hair over 41 games per season. Most games played was 65. Just 27 games last season. Traded for Mike Comrie. The 1st rounder lost in that trade was a bigger blow.

2002- Joni Pitkanen- traded after 5 years for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul. Good offensive upside with poor defensive instincts. Flyers own first round pick in this draft was traded for Adam Oates (Martin Vagner, no NHL games. Drafted later: Matt Stajan, Jiri Hudler, Duncan Keith).

2003- Jeff Carter, Mike Richards- traded within 5 years - Very good players, but I believe the ROI was better than either player individually. While either one would be better than most of the forwards currently on the team (notwithstanding growth potential), as a package Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Voracek, and half of Niklas Grossmann are more valuable.

2004- traded pick (for Mike Comrie. Oof.) Pick Became Rob Schremp. picked afterwards: Corey Schneider, Mike Green, David Booth, David Krejci

2005- Steve Downie- Was never going to get a fair shake with the NHL as a member of the Flyers following the McAmmond hit. Traded for Carle. ROI was better here.

2007- JVR- Not as down on JvR as a number of others, but his position, contract, and injury made him expendable. Traded from a position of strength.

2008- Luca Sbisa- traded after a short time in Pronger deal - Shows some promise, but not an irreplaceable player yet.

2009- traded pick - John Moore. Played one season for CBJ so far. Don't know a lot about him, too early to tell. Drafted Later: Simon Despres, Kyle Clifford

2010- traded pick - Emersen Etem. No grounds for judgement on NHL ability yet.

2011-traded pick - Stuart Percy. No grounds for judgement on NHL ability yet. Also Drafted Sean Couturier, who is still with the team.

Having picked late in most of these drafts, I think the Flyers have made out more than they've lost out when trading firsts or former firsts. At the very least, most of the players they've traded haven't turned out to be terribly special players. I think of all the traded 1st round players since 1995, Williams was the worst trade overall.

Edited by AJgoal

I agree totaly! Just as an example, you can't count Gagne as having been traded away with no patience in keeping him. Virtually no player plays for one team there whole career. Not saying the Flyers couldn't have done better but that "data" could be skewed very easily...

True. Yet, if there is one player who I really wanted to see retire as a Flyer, it's Gagne. And the truth is, that trade was basically an acknowledgement of Homer's inability to manage cap.... which actually makes me happy that they are beginning the season well under the cap.

• Like 1

@Mad Dog Excellent point MD. Remember the Roenick deal, where we actually had to pay another team to take him off our hands....LOL, what a mess! Homer flat out sucks at cap managment. They should have a Asst.GM take care of this part of the GM'ing, and let Homer do the draft only.

@Mad Dog Excellent point MD. Remember the Roenick deal, where we actually had to pay another team to take him off our hands....LOL, what a mess! Homer flat out sucks at cap managment. They should have a Asst.GM take care of this part of the GM'ing, and let Homer do the draft only.

Wasn't he the clown on watch that took yet again another center when everyone knows they need defensive help and defensive prospects??????

Just don't understand their tactics???? Maybe thats it....cause confusion???? Well it worked...

Edit: They want their centers surrounded by centers? Not wingers?

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yes, Roenick was traded away basically for nothing. If I am not mistaken, this happened to free up some room for Forsberg. So he was first signed as a highly touted free agent, only to be dumped to free up a cap. Yeah, talk about cap mismanagement at its worst...

And if memory serves, that was actually Clarke's doing... not that it matters much. lol Clarke has done a commendable job mentoring Homer how to mess up the cap.

Edited by Mad Dog

@Mad Dog Now that you mention it, I think it was Clarke who did that, just before he "gave up" and turned the reigns over to Homer....at least I think. They both suck at the salary cap. Homer could not add a 6-7 d man if his life depended on it. Bruno friggin Gervais.....BRUTAL!!!!!

Bruno friggin Gervais.....BRUTAL!!!!!

If Bruno somehow makes the roster, we are in more trouble than we even think. In fact, I can't imagine this guy is capable of even helping our farm team... that's how friggin' atroceous he is.

I read the topic title too quickly, thought this was going to be a list of current Flyers drafted in the 1st round.

Flyers on current roster drafted in Round 1:

DANNY BRIERE

SEAN COUTURIER

CLAUDE GIROUX

SCOTT HARTNELL

BRAYDEN SCHENN

JAKUB VORACEK

BRAYDON COBURN

ANDREJ MESZAROS

CHRIS PRONGER

LUKE SCHENN

Flyers picked two of those players, acquired the rest. Need better scouting, drafting, or player development.

we have traded almost every single first round player ,we have ever drafted, and we have also traded a bunch of first round draft picks and probably most of our second round picks.

By my account, I see 18 wins, 12 neutral and 6 loses.

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/328491/Hockey%20draft%20v2.docx

(lets see if this works> very hard to put excel / word doc / images here).

Edited by Vanflyer

If Bruno somehow makes the roster, we are in more trouble than we even think. In fact, I can't imagine this guy is capable of even helping our farm team... that's how friggin' atroceous he is.

@jammer2

And a new nickname is born... Brutal Bruno!!

Edited by Polaris922

@jammer2

And a new nickname is born... Brutal Bruno!!

This is one acquisition which didn't make ANY sense for the Flyers in the off-season where Homer otherwise didn't do so bad. His non-moves are the ones which actually made me very happy (Voracek, Couturer, MAB, B Schenn.... are still with them team).

This one........No logic at all. When you have MAB and Gustuvson waiting to make the team, he brings this stiff into the system........Mindboggling.

True. Yet, if there is one player who I really wanted to see retire as a Flyer, it's Gagne. And the truth is, that trade was basically an acknowledgement of Homer's inability to manage cap.... which actually makes me happy that they are beginning the season well under the cap.

At least Gagne got his Stanley Cup,which he deserved. I still can't believe how we preferred trading him over Carter. Not based on production, but based on character.

• Like 2