UPDATED: Lilja ahead of schedule; loaned to Phantoms for conditioning

Guest Digityman

Marshall and MAB are playing well. Does Lilja get his spot back and if so who goes down?

MONTREAL -- Another surprise at Flyer practice today in Montreal was watching defenseman Andreas Lilja sprinting around the ice.

Lilja hasn’t played a game since suffering a high, left ankle sprain on Nov. 26 against these same Canadiens in Philadelphia.

He will miss his eigth game Thursday when the Flyers play here. Lilja was supposed to miss as much as six weeks, but he is obviously well ahead of schedule.

“If I had pain, I wouldn’t skate,” he said. “If you skate with pain, rip it up again, obviously, it’s a setback. It feels great.”

The 35-year-old has done some pregame skating on his own and played a little two-on-two with the coaching staff on Tuesday, but much like Brayden Schenn (see blog post), this was his first day on the ice practicing with teammates in awhile.

“To be honest, I feel really good,” Lilja said. “Get the feel for it and see how [the ankle] is when I’m battling and getting my timing right.”

In his 11 years in the NHL, Lilja has never incurred a high-ankle sprain. There’s always a first with Flyers, eh?

“They keep telling me it’s going to feel good and then it’s going to hurt and it will take a while,” Lilja said. “But I’ve been feeling really good the last three days. We’ll see what happens.”

His foot is taped, by the way.

Tim P

NHLFlyers Philadelphia Flyers

#Flyers announced that (D) Andreas Lilja has been loaned to their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, on a conditioning assignment.

Phantoms lost to Binghamton 3-1.

I didn't see any reports as to how Lilja played.

Holmstrom, Lilja recalled

Sunday, 12.18.2011 / 12:15 AM / News

Philadelphia Flyers

The Flyers announced today that they have recalled center Ben Holmstrom from their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms. In addition, defenseman Andreas Lilja has rejoined the Flyers following his conditioning stint with the Phantoms, after being loaned this past Friday.

Holmstrom, who is a native of Colorado Springs, CO, will join the team and be available for the Flyers-Avalanche game on Monday at the Pepsi Center in Colorado.

He has appeared in one game for the Flyers this season, a 3-2 victory on Nov. 2 at Buffalo.

With the Phantoms, he ranks third on the team in scoring with 16 points and is tied for second with eight goals through 25 games, and currently has a three-game goal-scoring streak.

Lilja appeared in one game with the Phantoms, a 3-1 loss to the defending Calder Cup champion Binghamton Senators on Friday.

Lilja had been sidelined since Nov. 25, when he suffered a high-ankle sprain in the Flyers' 3-1 win vs. Montreal on Black Friday.