Sooooooo, maybe Homer really is done after all?

Guest AndyS

Not much left out there. Doan at too much $ for too many years. Ryan at the cost of trading away too much youth...in the past I think Homer would have coughed up Jake and Mez or some other young guys and picks for Ryan, I think with the way the team is constructed now he's taking another year to see who's who. I would look for a big splash next year, Homer can't lay off the big deals for too long at a time

The Flyers will pursue any opportunity to make the team better.

But they are happy with the team that they have and are confident they can "compete for the Stanley Cup"* with the roster they have.

I like the team and feel that it can do some damage, make the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.

*Since they have the requisite number of players to enter into NHL competition.

with the absolutely insane money Doan is expecting, i hope he's done. it would be nice for them to carry some cap space into the season to possibly use toward the trade deadline. IF we're even in contention at that point.

I don't believe the 4Y/$30M report.

That sounds to me like a GM asking an agent what it would take to have Doan make a decision rightnow and not wait for Phoenix and the agent saying "screw off."

I would wager more than a few tokens and some actual money that, if he signs away from Phoenix, it is for less than that in money and years.

I agree. I don't think Doan is worth that much at his age and production level, and I honestly don't believe there's any GM out there willing to put that much money on the table for an over-35 player.

• Like 1

That sounds to me like a GM asking an agent what it would take to have Doan make a decision rightnow and not wait for Phoenix and the agent saying "screw off."

I would wager more than a few tokens and some actual money that, if he signs away from Phoenix, it is for less than that in money and years.

you're probably right about that. well, i mean... i think it's next to impossible for him to actually get that kind of a deal. but, i would also imagine that he can't be too happy that that report is out there. makes him seem very unreasonable.

Sure has been quiet lately.

Hopefully the Preds matching the offer sheet for Weber didn't wreck him (Homer, that is).

I've been thinking the same about Shero after losing out on Parise. I pretty much agree with the posts here... I think Homer and Shero both are probably just sitting pat in light of having few options. Maybe both will be players at the deadline? Who knows...

• Like 1

Doan really has no reason to sign. There's nothing imperative upon him except the CBA and whether or not he gets a big signing bonus (this IMO will be the key to signing a FA Doan outside of Phoenix and the Flyers have Up Front Money in spades).

I could see a 3Y/$18M with like $10M signing bonus... If there is a bidding war. And, quite frankly, I wouldn't want the Flyers to win that war (they can fight it like they did Suter and Parise all they want), but it wouldn't really disturb me if they did.

I agree. I don't think Doan is worth that much at his age and production level, and I honestly don't believe there's any GM out there willing to put that much money on the table for an over-35 player.

That is practically Rick Nash money.

@AndyS

I am not sure why you are so surprised that he's been quite lately... There isn't much out there that would make the team better. And I think the team is set. Sure there are still some glitches, and we can wish for the better defense, but again, there is not much on the market right now that would improve the team. And he can't really improve teh team via a trade because he doesn't have any trading chips left without weakening the team.

So I believe, this is teh team we are going to the camp with... for better or worse.

• Like 2

it is not just Philly... it has been pretty quiet around the league.... that time of year. Internally, I think this is the Team that is going into the season... Doan wants too much and Ryan is not worth what you are giving up... Let Homer enjoy the rest of his summer in SIC...

• Like 1

I hope Homer stands pat. Hopefully there will not be a work stoppage and we will have a full season of Hockey. The Flyers need to start the season and roll with what they have, hopefully B.Schenn, Coots, Read, Talbot and Hartnell for that matter can match or exceed last years offensive numbers. Vorachek may break out playing with Orange Jesus full time. If Bryz can keep his head on straight, having Nicholas Grossmann with two N's for a full season should help. If the Flyers get off to a slow start then Homer can start to panic and move some pieces around.

Edited by Samifan

That's what I'm saying! Why make a move for the sake of making a move. If we need an in season adjustment we'll have 2.5 million cap space + Prongers 4.9 million LTIR and if we can unload Shelly we get another 1.1 million. 8.5 Million isn't to bad is it!

I'm still in favour of rolling the dice on Carlo Colaiacovo. He's a really good d-man. He fits a lot of needs, he might be a good fit for the top pp..or at least totally shore up the second pp unit. Random thought, what if Mez or Timonen goes down....we would SUCK for offensive d-men. He's never done it, but if he played all 80 games, I could see him scoring 45 points. Only Timonen could do that on our current roster. Plus, like I've said, he hit's hard and plays a nice tenacious game. He gets hurt because of how rambunctious he plays the game. Worth the gamble IMHO. I'd be willing to give him 3 mill a year for 2 years. He's only 29 and I'm sure he would love to go to a contender, which would give us a leg up.

Of all the guys out there, Carlo is the only one worth investing in. If not him, stand pat and make a nice deadline move. I'm getting ill thinking about Lilja or Walker stepping in our line up. We need more defensive depth!!

@jammer2: I can't take credit for the Orange Jesus reference, another forum member came up with it at the end of last season or after the Pens series, sorry I do not remember who that was. Perfect reference for G-Roo though.

I agree as well. Doan has never been known to hold teams hostage for salary. He is a very nice player, but 7.5m would put his as the 13th highest player in the league- and that Doan is not even close to being fair value for. 4.5 to 4.7 for 4 years would have been plenty in my book.