eleven24 from philly.com

Guest DinahMoeHumm

Traeplien is Neil Peart spelled backwards. Holy **** do I feel like a burnout, 5 years reading his posts and I never put that together......

Oh yeah and I do remember eleven24, decent poster, his name backwards doesn't spell a damn thing

• Like 2

That really is true, and perfectly describes the area where I grew up in Ohio.

I spent my youth summers between Ohio (Oberlin / Sandusky) and Wisconsin (Lake Geneva). I loved Ohio, but it is true that it is 5 years behind the rest of the country.

@Vanflyer - where'd you grow up in Bucks? I graduated from Council Rock. My parents moved us up from Northeast Philly when I was in 8th grade in '84, & I hated them for it a long time. Looking back, where would you rather raise your kids!!

I grew up in Yardley (before it was the fancy well to do place it is now). We had a house where my back yard was the canal. I played allot of hockey on the canal and afton pond and my formal hockey was played at Grundy in Bristol. Then we moved to central bucks (Doylestown). I played highschool hockey for CB East and club hockey at Faceoff Circle.

@Vanflyer - where'd you grow up in Bucks? I graduated from Council Rock. My parents moved us up from Northeast Philly when I was in 8th grade in '84, & I hated them for it a long time. Looking back, where would you rather raise your kids!!

My Father was a professor at BC3. My step brothers played football at William Tennant and the one was a huge star at the Penn Relays (and was scouted by Pro football teams before tragically dying in a horrific car accident on a rainy night).

I never lived in the city, but can certainly understand how- as a kid, you would have angst moving to the burbs. Yet, as you said, living in Bucks County can not get much better for growing up.

I never lived in the city, but can certainly understand how- as a kid, you would have angst moving to the burbs. Yet, as you said, living in Bucks County can not get much better for growing up.

I was born and raised in Northumberland County. We used to cut class in high school just to go fishing.

@Vanflyer

I don't know... This may be just my thing... but I will never get used to the concept of living in suburbia. I can't understand fascination or some perceived magnetism of living in suburbian sprawls. I live in Montgomery County basically because I have no choice, since my wife teaches in Montco, and - thanks to how this country deliberately ruined its system of public transportation - there is no easy way for her to get to work every day if we were to live in the city. But I just can't accept suburbia. Aside from the fact that it's totally unsustainable (what happenes when we run out of oil and gas?), I see no appeal to the suburbian life.

Now, if you think of how suburbs should've been *really* built (European model), that would be totally different. But I just can't come to term with leaving in a place... which is exactly that - a PLACE... with no identity, no face, no personality, and which looks like hundreds of thousands of similar places all over the country: a highway, a set of strip malls, and a bank. And I can't even begin to describe how maliscious this way of life for children and old folks, when you totally depend on someone to drive you wherever you need to go.

How difficult would that be for developers to at *least* build sidewalks parallel to highways so people could walk? It makes me feel depressed every time I think that I will have to drive my daughter to every place she needs to go: a library, a friend, a gym, etc., until she learns how to drive. And I just can't imagine what this does to kids' minds - to know they cannot go where they want without asking their parents to drive them. No wonder we have such a high rate of maniac depression amongst children; I am sure this way of life messes their psyche and spirit.

I don't expect parks and central squares, but the ugliness of these empty shells is just staggering...

Edited by Mad Dog

MD, I feel the same about the suburbs, I live in western Burlington County because it's convenient to work and it's what I could afford. But my reasons are the exact opposite of yours. It's too cramped. I don't like living on a street with a lot of traffic, which I define as more than 1-2 cars an hour. Everything is pre-packaged and the same. There's no character and no fresh air. To me, the only selling point for the suburbs is that it's less cramped than a city.

@Mad Dog

You could not pay me enough to live in a "big" city. I live on 3 acres and the closest convenience store is 2 miles away. You definitely plan differently as far as shopping goes but I would not change it for the world. I like knowing that I will hear gun fire every weekend(most of the time from my place) but the neighbors too. I know 90 percent of my neighbors within a 2 mile radius and we help one another out when the need arises. My wife talked me into taking her to NYC once.....I could not stand it. There are just TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!! Not everyone is cut out for living in the city. I am one of them. I am happier sitting outside at night on the porch watching the stars and waking up when the rooster crows.

It makes me feel depressed every time I think that I will have to drive my daughter to every place she needs to go: a library, a friend, a gym, etc., until she learns how to drive. And I just can't imagine what this does to kids' minds - to know they cannot go where they want without asking their parents to drive them.

Really? There is A LOT of quality conservative interaction with your children and their friends while driving them to activities. Sure it took a bit of MY time, but so what, choosing to have children is a conscious decision to want to be with them and guide them as they grow up. As a parent you have a greater chance knowing who your children are with and where they are if you have the opportunity to drive them.

In today's society the last thing I would want is my daughters walking along the highway.

Really? There is A LOT of quality conservative interaction with your children and their friends while driving them to activities. Sure it took a bit of MY time, but so what, choosing to have children is a conscious decision to want to be with them and guide them as they grow up. As a parent you have a greater chance knowing who your children are with and where they are if you have the opportunity to drive them.

101, unfortunately, you have completely missed my point. It’s not the time which is an issue. I am not lamenting the fact that I am investing my time in driving my kids to their friends, sports practices, or whatever else. Like you said, parenting requires a serious commitment, which is basically a second job.

That’s not a problem at all. The problem is that a kid growing up in suburbia does not have too much of freedom. I find something really wrong with a fact that a 14-year-old cannot open the front door of the house and just walk wherever he/she pleases… or jump in a tramp or trolley, ride a few stops, get off, do his things, and catch the same tramp back home, or walk back home. There is no consideration for a human factor. With a lack of public spaces and people being so dependent on their car, there is a serious sense of detachment.

Again, it’s just my point of view.

@flyerrod

Rod, I am not denying cities have their problems as well… at least the way American cities have been built. If you ever travel to Europe though, you will see that European cities are built totally differently. They are built in a manner that’s conducive to living a much more comfortable and relaxed life.

@Mad Dog

The problem is that a kid growing up in suburbia does not have too much of freedom. I find something really wrong with a fact that a 14-year-old cannot open the front door of the house and just walk wherever he/she pleases… or jump in a tramp or trolley, ride a few stops, get off, do his things, and catch the same tramp back home, or walk back home. There is no consideration for a human factor. With a lack of public spaces and people being so dependent on their car, there is a serious sense of detachment.

Most kids have bicycles to get around locally with. Many who live in developments walk or ride their bike to a friends house in their neighborhood. Public space is less needed in the suburbs as many have yards and driveways, your own basketball hoop, soccer net, etc. And if your yard didn't have that chances are your friend down the road did. I've lived near woods all my life and imo, nothing beats the chance to explore nature as a kid and adult when ever you please. I'd much rather sit on my deck and listen to the birds chirp about than than the conversation going on at my next door neighbors home.

For the most part kids are frowned upon from loitering in most public places, so instead they will move about the neighborhood from one's friends house to another. Kids lead busy lives these days, most try to do well in school, and have planned extracurricular activities, but having space and freedom isn't an issue.

I'm not really understanding what you mean by this?

There is no consideration for a human factor. With a lack of public spaces and people being so dependent on their car, there is a serious sense of detachment.

Dependency on a car for transportation is really means to have more choice imo.

I loved Ohio, but it is true that it is 5 years behind the rest of the country.

Precisely. It was that way when I was growing up there, and it's still that way now. That being said, I still have a fondness for it, and I still have a lot of friends and family there who I visit pretty frequently.