Jaromir Jagr: 'I have never seen a team like the Flyers'

Guest Irishjim

by Travis Hughes

20120331_jla_se7_069_extra_large.jpg

Jaromir Jagr has said over and over again that he loved his time in Philadelphia. He loved playing on the top line with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell and he loved the team and the Flyers organization. So why did he leave?

In an interview with Pavel Lysenkov from Russia's SovSport, translated to English by Yahoo!'s Dmitry Chesnokov, Jagr said it was about timing. Paul Holmgren asked him to wait as the Flyers went after big name free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, and well, Jagr wasn't cool with waiting.

Doesn't seem like there are hard feelings, though. Jagr went on to praise the Flyers yet again. His words were encouraging.

"I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round."

Jagr's been around the block, if ya hadn't heard. When he's saying something like that, it should make you think a bit. High praise for this group of Flyers and head coach Peter Laviolette, indeed. Check out the rest of the interview at Puck Daddy.

I sort of wish we could have signed him for one more season now that the dust has settled.

I get his point on not wanting to wait. Had the Flyers signed both Parise and Sutter, there would not have been any money to sign Jagr. So, basically the Flyers said :"We really like you, but we like these other guys more and need to wait and see what happens there."

Pretty impressive that he did not show any animosity towards the Flyers. I guess 4.5m will soothe away any pains.

I get his point on not wanting to wait. Had the Flyers signed both Parise and Sutter, there would not have been any money to sign Jagr. So, basically the Flyers said :"We really like you, but we like these other guys more and need to wait and see what happens there."

Yea, he had to do what he had to do!

I think this reflects why Homer is/was reluctant to give up pieces from this current group - UFAs notwithstanding.

If the Flyers weren't carrying cap mistakes like Walker, Shelley and Lilja (to say nothing of the 35+ LTIR) it might not have mattered as much to sign Jagr at $4M while making the offers to players who had made it pretty clear they weren't interested in coming here.

And I've previously outlined Jagr's thought process:

July 1: I'm not signed, Flyers don't want me; Maybe Montreal, I like Canada

July 2: Montreal said "no, thanks"; Flyers still waiting

July 3: Friend Joe offered me $4.5M so I'll sign with team that hasn't made playoffs in four years because I won't wait until Friday to re-sign with "a great team, a great coach, a great organization" that was in the Finals two years ago to play again with "Little Mario."

Had to do it. No choice, really... :ph34r:

I think Jagr not signing here has more to do with a guarantee that he could play on the top two lines than it has to do with money. Holmgren couldn't guarantee Jagr would play with Giroux next year. Playing with Dallas Jagr could easily be on a line with Benn and Eriksson.

I also think come the trade deadline Jagr could be traded for to help this team in the playoffs.

• Like 3

I think Jagr not signing here has more to do with a guarantee that he could play on the top two lines than it has to do with money. Holmgren couldn't guarantee Jagr would play with Giroux next year. Playing with Dallas Jagr could easily be on a line with Benn and Eriksson.

I also think come the trade deadline Jagr could be traded for to help this team in the playoffs.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the "Jagr" thread. :-)

I think he learned from leaving Pittsburgh. He was young and stupid, and said some mean things that contradicted so many of his previous comments. I hope he meant what he said, but at the very least he learned a lot it looks.

• Like 1

I think Jagr not signing here has more to do with a guarantee that he could play on the top two lines than it has to do with money.

yes, but I do think the money was a key cog as well. decent bump from last year despite showing an obvious drop off in production and effectiveness when it matters most. But good for him. I gained a lot of respect for the guy I used to loath the Flyers playing against