For Anyone Who Thinks Homer is Bad, Read This...

Guest idahophilly

This is Metzler's article for Saturday morning. We sometimes think Homer has been bad as a GM even though his over all body of work is pretty good. But I have one word for you...Clarke! Remember the Gratton debacle? Here is a link...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Today-in-Flyers-History-The-Gratton-Affair-Begins/45/45933

What a series of events he started! And that was just the Gratton deal. Do we even need to discuss Lindros?

However, in the twilight years he would make one move that might just over shadow all... He drafted a kid named...ummm... what was his name? Oh yeah Giroux...

@idahophilly My bad, thought you were talking about the trade. As far as the feud goes, I mostly blame Lindros ....and Bonnie and Clyde, but also admit Clarke was a ****. He put winning ahead of a players health, and that should never happen. Even if Clarke had been more mature, Lindros's parents would have taken advantage of the situation, so it's a no win for everyone involved.

@idahophilly My bad, thought you were talking about the trade. As far as the feud goes, I mostly blame Lindros ....and Bonnie and Clyde, but also admit Clarke was a ****. He put winning ahead of a players health, and that should never happen. Even if Clarke had been more mature, Lindros's parents would have taken advantage of the situation, so it's a no win for everyone involved.

Both sides share the blame for the Lindros debacle but I would put the slightly higher percentage of blame on Lindros's parents. Eric could have saved himself a lot of grief by getting a real agent instead of someone who just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once...........

@flyerrod Over time, I've eased into your way of thinking. Shared blame with a slight lean towards Eric's parents. There was a time when I was HARD CORE against Bonnie and Clyde, and totally sided with Clarke. I've seen the errors in my ways. Clarke was partly to blame also. Hefty words coming from a guy who actually burned all his Lindros collectables in a bon fire after the NYR trade (LOL, cups, posters, jersey, bobble heads, plaques, rookie cards, OHL cards....EVERYTHING...I burned it all....*that's* how pissed I was at Eric.

Hefty words coming from a guy who actually burned all his Lindros collectables in a bon fire after the NYR trade (LOL, cups, posters, jersey, bobble heads, plaques, rookie cards, OHL cards....EVERYTHING...I burned it all....*that's* how pissed I was at Eric.

I am guessing you might have still been drinking at that time jam...I reserve that kind of hate for Penguins and their fans..... ;)

@flyerrod

I think both sides share just about equal blame. But if anything, that whole fiasco was just another testimony to how incompetent the Flyers' medical personnel are. In this case, actually, they were borderline criminally negligent. Till this day I can't fathom how that whole thing could happen... Eric could've died.

It amazes me that McCrossin is still with the team. All these years of his sheer inaptitude and he is still here. Snider's loyalty to his staff just knows no bounds. Unbelievable.

• Like 2

@flyerrod Yes, I was drinking at the time rod....ha ha. I honestly believed Lindros put himself before the team by allowing his parents to get so involved. I was thrilled he went to the Rags, made it much easier to hate him. It's a real shame, because he gave so much to the team, but I still snarl when thinking about the guy. It's slowly getting better, I was actually happy he showed up at the Winter Classic, and equally happy the team invited him. Time heals all wounds I guess.

@flyerrod "I don't know if you caught it when it happened but Pittsburgh canned the ENTIRE medical staff over the Crosby MISSED diagnosis"

WOW, really!?!? Anybody with half a brain knows McCrossin is an incompetent boob. He needs to go, the friggin teflon don of medical hockey trainers! Loyalty is a great quality, but where is the loyalty to the players health and well being?? Disgusting he still has a job. Stuff like this gives the whole organization a black eye.

Both sides share the blame for the Lindros debacle but I would put the slightly higher percentage of blame on Lindros's parents.

I actually was cruising through this thread to see if anyone made this point before I put it out there. Clarke certainly did NOTHING to help that situation, all the nonsense in the media is evidence of that. But it was obvious to anyone paying attention that Eric's parents were completely overbearing to every team he played for. It wasn't until Clarke when they finally bumped into someone who pushed back and it got ugly. a DAMN shame too 'cause I loved Lindros. if only that mess and his rash of concussions (KEEP YOUR FREAKING HEAD UP!!!) didn't happen, who knows where things would have gone... I'd like to say cup but management was terrible at giving the team the rest of the help they needed.

as I think about it, could you imagine Eric then playing in this league now with the way player are protected? scary to think what could've been

Clarkie's second attempt was the beginning of "The Dark Ages" of management for the Flyers,Homer appears to be following in his foot steps. Clarkie had no idea how to deal with a talent like Lindros,plus he could'nt handle Bonnie and Carl,how much worse could he have made it? By the way Ovechkin's agent's are his parents,not a bad contract either. Clarkie was a great hockey talent,but you don't have to be a chicken to know what an egg is!

People can say what they want to about Clarke, but I think despite some of his bad decisions he still put the team in the position to win most of the time. We (I mean the Flyers) had a real shot to win the cup the year before the lockout (damn you Fedotenko!). If we hadn't run into Tampa, if it wasn't for Feds, if we'd won just one more game I really think we'd have beaten Calgary that year. Obviously Clarke couldn't hash it anymore once the cap was in place, but we could have done worse than Clarke as gm for those years he was there. Hindsight is 20/20.

And of course, there were injuries. Lots of them. Every year. I wa calling for McCrossin's head after the Lindros incident was over and done with (personally at least, I wasn't posting o philly.com at the time), and it seems like during Clarke's tenure there was always too many guys out at the wrong times. I know injuries are part of hockey, but it always seemed like the Flyers were high up on the list of man-games lost, and that also forces the gm's hand sometimes if you expect to be competitive.

He drafted a kid named...ummm... what was his name? Oh yeah Giroux..

He drafted Giroux only because the Rangers took Sanguinetti, if I recall correctly. Orange Jesus was Plan B. Probably part of why Bob didn't remember Giroux's name....

I have no real problem with Homer. I just think that the Flyers have had the same philosophy and basically the same people (Homer being Clarke's protege, Clarke being upstairs with Ed) and while they have been competitive, they haven't shown the ability to actually win the Cup - a bundle of ifs, whys and wherefores notwithstanding.

I literally see the world through the orange and black frames on my glasses and I just painted my whole kitchen orange and white with black highlights (including the retired numbers up on the wall), but I'd like to see a different focus (as I've said elsewhere) from "compete" to "win".

The team has wasted assets on longshots - the '04 run was great, but the spit and bailing wire holding it together (Timander, Malakhov, Zhamnov, Markov) came apart and (along with the lockout) contributed to the collapse of the entire organization in 2006 and had some of those assets come back to bite them. And, even then, the "changes" were replacing Clarke with Clarke's protege and replacing Hitch with Hitch's protege.

Yes, the Flyers are always in on the conversation, but they haven't had the last word since 1975.

• Like 1

This is Metzler's article for Saturday morning. We sometimes think Homer has been bad as a GM even though his over all body of work is pretty good. But I have one word for you...Clarke! Remember the Gratton debacle? Here is a link...

http://www.hockeybuz...Begins/45/45933

What a series of events he started! And that was just the Gratton deal. Do we even need to discuss Lindros?

However, in the twilight years he would make one move that might just over shadow all... He drafted a kid named...ummm... what was his name? Oh yeah Giroux...

Only cause the Rangers drafted Sanguinetti...hell Clarke couldn't even remember Clod's name.... :ph34r:

I have no real problem with Homer. I just think that the Flyers have had the same philosophy and basically the same people (Homer being Clarke's protege, Clarke being upstairs with Ed) and while they have been competitive, they haven't shown the ability to actually win the Cup - a bundle of ifs, whys and wherefores notwithstanding.

I literally see the world through the orange and black frames on my glasses and I just painted my whole kitchen orange and white with black highlights (including the retired numbers up on the wall), but I'd like to see a different focus (as I've said elsewhere) from "compete" to "win".

The team has wasted assets on longshots - the '04 run was great, but the spit and bailing wire holding it together (Timander, Malakhov, Zhamnov, Markov) came apart and (along with the lockout) contributed to the collapse of the entire organization in 2006 and had some of those assets come back to bite them. And, even then, the "changes" were replacing Clarke with Clarke's protege and replacing Hitch with Hitch's protege.

Yes, the Flyers are always in on the conversation, but they haven't had the last word since 1975.

I don't always agree with you rad...but you're alright in my books! :)