Gagne anyone?

Guest ctid

Obviously, he is extremely injury prone and all. But I would like him back. He would immediately give us depth and would not be relied on to carry this team. But any production out of him would be a bonus.

Sure, he's been on the decline for a few years now, lost alot of his speed. but the two-way intelligence is there and he can shoot.

He comes with a cap hit of 3.5 with one year remaing until UFA.

I hope he comes back in a supporting role. Put him on a line with Couturier or Schenn, he will do those kids alot of good in the learning department.

Gagne should retire as a Flyer, no question!

As much as I love Gagne I don't know that he can survive in this division. The Atlantic division is the toughest and most physical in the league. I don't think his body can stand up to those rigors and $3.5M is alot to gamble on someone with his injury history. I really hate saying this but Gagne is not a viable option for this team.

• Like 2

You are probably right. The 3.5M cap hit is the deciding factor, as far as I'm concerned. If the cap hit was less, say 2M, then I would definitely take the risk.

Maybe a more realistic option is to see what kind of season he will have in the upcoming season and then sign him as an UFA next year. The guy is still only 32. He could still be valuable in a 10-15min pr night role as a supporting guy.

Gagne is basically just returning from injury(yet again). @3.5 mil for his skill set, probably not a bad return if he can stay somewhat healthy. I was angry to see him forced out like he was and would love to see him retire as a Flyer. I think Hexy hit it on the head with the Atlantic is the toughest division. Every team in the division hates the rest and while this leads to great hockey, it is much more taxing on injury prone players. If he were to come back, I would expect him to perform at least as well as Jagr did.....IF he can stay healthy...

I agree with @Hexy27 and @flyerrod.

I didn't like seeing Gagne go, though I understood the move at the time. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him back in the O&B but given the way he is so injury prone, I'd rather see him in more of a roleplayer role (no, not goon) than a top line forward. Of course give him all the PP time he can handle but 5 on 5 reduce his role to 3/4 line role. Jagr said last season when he played the 4th line that he loved it "no one touched me". Now of course Jagr doesn't always want to play those kind of minutes on those line but that statement reflects directly on what I'm getting at with Gagne. I could see him being a very effective time killer who has the threat of breakaway goals left and right and playing on those lines with reduced minutes could help preserve him. 3.5 unfortunately is too big of a chunk for that kind of role though which even if this scenario was plausible, I don't see it working. but hey, crazier things have happened.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gagne, will always respect the hard effort and determination he brought to this organization. He was a pro from the very first training camp and that attitude never ever left him. Having said all that, his time as a Flyer is done. Wellwood can do the exact same job Gagne would do at this point, except he is a lot faster, a lot younger and a lot less injury prone.....and he makes 580,000...not 3.5 mill a year. I expect Welly to score between 14-18 goals next year, the same total Gagne would get in a 3-4 line scenario....and his presence would stunt the growth of kids like Read and Welly....and take ice time away from them. Go with the kids.

As much as I would love to have Gags back in the O&B...it will never happen, his time here is done, we as fans did not get the closure we need....or the return...having Scott friggin Walker to show for all the dedicated years Gags gave us is outright pissing me off. Any legit Flyer fan should be left with a sour taste in their mouth over the way he was shown the door, but it is what it is....nothing we can do about it....but it would be wrong to bring him back out of some sense of loyalty, you gotta do what's right for the org as a whole, and sometimes, that means letting go before your ready.

@jammer2

I still want to see him retire in Flyers colors when the time comes. That is not saying we need to run out and get him now but when he decides to hang up the skates , I would like to see him given an opportunity to do it as a Flyer. I would not be against him coming here but what you say about Wellwood and Read makes sense money wise.

@flyerrod, oh, the kinda one day deal guys do to retire with the team that gave them the big break/they are closest to.,...for sure, if the did *not* do that, I'd be absolutely livid!!! That should happen 100%. It's a shame guys like him and Brindy have to go elsewhere to fulfill their dreams, not even their choice, obviously traded, be let's face it....this team is cursed...will never win.....so if somebody want's to have a cup on their resume, they will have to do it elsewhere.

so if somebody want's to have a cup on their resume, they will have to do it elsewhere.

Alright, quit listening to the negative Nancies here who are convinced that sky has already fallen. The game is still played on the ice and the last time I checked, the first puck has not dropped yet. Would we be in better shape with Mez? Definitely but the world has not ended yet....at least not until Dec. 21st according to the Mayans....

@flyerrod Oh, it's got nothing to do with the Mez injury...has everything to do with history. Since 1975 we have fell short, and now we have a 50 mill albatross tied around our necks for the next 9 years. At least outright bums like Boucher and Esche looked the part, this guy (at least half the time) looks like he just started skating last week. There is no reason to be optimistic here. I actually liked the direction we were going, making the defense in front of him like a interpretable wall.....alas, Weber falls though and in true Flyer fashion, Mez is done mere weeks later. We suck.

@flyerrod Oh, it's got nothing to do with the Mez injury...has everything to do with history. Since 1975 we have fell short, and now we have a 50 mill albatross tied around our necks for the next 9 years. At least outright bums like Boucher and Esche looked the part, this guy (at least half the time) looks like he just started skating last week. There is no reason to be optimistic here. I actually liked the direction we were going, making the defense in front of him like a interpretable wall.....alas, Weber falls though and in true Flyer fashion, Mez is done mere weeks later. We suck.

Well I have nothing better to do and since I have already paid for the Center Ice package I guess I will (with any luck) enjoy watching a reasonably young Flyers team hit the ice.

I hope he comes back in a supporting role. Put him on a line with Couturier or Schenn, he will do those kids alot of good in the learning department.

I say put him with Giroux to replace Jagr's scoring threat.

the only question i have is what will it take?

@jammer2

I agree. Gagne to me rightfully shares the company with the very best who wore orange and black. He was - and always will be - a true Flyer, and how can anybody underpreciate what he has done for this franchise? I always wanted to see him retire as a Flyer. That didn't happen (thank you Homer). But at this point, I just don't know how much he can bring to this team.

We need a freaking goalie. Nobody (not Shea Weber, or Bobby Ryan, or healthy Meszaros, or Jesus himself) will save this team with that nightmare in net that we have.