Mezz Out Indefintiely - Achillies

Guest murraycraven

From CSNPhilly.com

Just days after general manager Paul Holmgren told the media defenseman Andrej Meszaros was completely healed from last season's back surgery, the 26-year-old blueliner underwent surgery to repair a torn right achilles tendon, according the Flyers' official Twitter account. He will be out indefinitely.

"Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right achilles tendon," Holmgren said in a statement. "The surgery was performed by Dr. Steve Raikin at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia.

"Andrej was injured last week during summer training in Slovakia. Andrej will be out indefinitely."

According to this article (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/31/typical-time-of-return-from-ruptured-achilles-is-11-months/) the dude will take 11 months to recover from surgery for a ruptured achilles tendon.

Meszaros probably won't play this year if they are at all comparable.

So, losing Carle really really hurts now.

Timonen/Coburn

Schenn/Grossman

MAB/Gus

Not a ton of confidence in that D.

Wow that is not good at all. NOT GOOD AT ALL!

The bad thing too is he still has 2 years on his deal. I couldn't think of a worse thing to happen to our D.

A trade is eminent. It just has to be. Not to sound like "that guy", but our D is not looking good at all.

Wow that is not good at all. NOT GOOD AT ALL!

The bad thing too is he still has 2 years on his deal. I couldn't think of a worse thing to happen to our D.

A trade is eminent. It just has to be. Not to sound like "that guy", but our D is not looking good at all.

Bert - I didnt like this defense w/ Mezz... now this defense is incredibly weak...

@murraycraven

Our D was very suspect before the injury and now is very suspect.

I could see something like what HF101 said, they'll ink a UFA.

Timmonen/Coburn (ok, aging anchor, but very solid)

Schenn/Grossman (suspect, but may be spectacular given the proper coaching)

3rd pair is a toss up. This is where I am worried. This is always the case with the Flyers. There isn't enough depth on the blueline to sustain any sort of setback or injury.

A UFA signing may not be good enough. We may need help via trade and at this point the only one safe (in my book) is Giroux.

• Like 1

@murraycraven

Our D was very suspect before the injury and now is very suspect.

I could see something like what HF101 said, they'll ink a UFA.

Timmonen/Coburn (ok, aging anchor, but very solid)

Schenn/Grossman (suspect, but may be spectacular given the proper coaching)

3rd pair is a toss up. This is where I am worried. This is always the case with the Flyers. There isn't enough depth on the blueline to sustain any sort of setback or injury.

A UFA signing may not be good enough. We may need help via trade and at this point the only one safe (in my book) is Giroux.

Bert... I could not agree more... I know there are some people on here that think this defense is good but I do not see it. This is a HUGE injury... Someone is going to have to be brought in through trade or UFA... ugh... not good news.

That is what 4 million that will be off the books for the season (assuming he is placed on long-term IR), I think Homer can pick up a dman with a high cap hit that some team will want to unload to free up space/save money. I liked Mez, but wouldn't worry about Homer finding another dman, having free cap space is a commodity.

• Like 1

Bert... I could not agree more... I know there are some people on here that think this defense is good but I do not see it. This is a HUGE injury... Someone is going to have to be brought in through trade or UFA... ugh... not good news.

I thought that the D was workable, but prone to injury and there were obvious concerns.

There truthfully aren't a whole lot of teams that can afford serious injury to a Top Three and not have it impact their game.

And this is another area where having a $5M cap problem (for the next five seasons) doesn't help, either. They don't have a whole heluvalot of room in the off season cap, and LTIR doesn't kick in until the season starts (and has additional restrictions after that - It's not "you get all the space" automaticaly).

I still don't understand why Walker and Shelley haven't been waived, but that may have to come now...

As Dean Martin used to sing, "Aint that a kick in head"?

There is no way we stand pat with this D and and the orienteering failure of the forest in our net. Homer has to do something otherwise we are going to spending a lot of time watching the puck cycling in our zone and doing facepalms as we learn new ways for softies to enter our net.

What a bad swing this has been from possibly having Weber to this.

• Like 2

It's not a kick to the head but a kick to the frickin' teeth! I'm telling myself not to panic but it's almost inconcievable that we won't sustain atleast 1 more injury during the season, especially with the top 2 pairs being over worked. Who do we frickin' calll up??? And lets face it, Bryz is way better with a solid defence in front of him, some thing we don't have...

Dear Lord, what happened? Just woke up late to find this news.....WTF!?!?! I was already convinced the d *with* Mez was suspect....this is beyond. Let's all collectively pray for a season ending CBA and spare us the embarrassment of playing this out. I'm ok with a few UFA options, but am terrified Homer will get FLEECED in a trade scenario where he obviously needs a d-man. Just stay UFA, don't make this any worse than it already is Homer!