Gonchar available

Guest orange_crush

i'd rather they give the young guys a chance, at least until the trade deadline. I'm tired of the old guy routine.

I like playing the young guys also but you need some vets out there for them to learn from..Gonchar would be a good journey man to fill in for this year..imo

at this point we should have just overpaid for Carle

His cap hit is 5.5 which seems a bit high for someone of his age, also as the Sens (and all other teams from that matter) know we have a need on the blueline they are probably not going to just allow us to have him for a bag of pucks (aka Shelly and Walker).

If he was a cheap UFA I would say go for it as he was always a pain in our backsides (especially his point shot from the PP) but in this situation I would hedge that he is too much risk for too little return.

Gonchar as a rental for a 3rd round pick would be a fair trade. That would be doing a favor for Ottawa and us both. 5.5 mil for a guy that is a solid PP qb and can still play 15 to 18 minutes a night. If Mez recovers well, Gonchar could be moved at the trade deadline for some other team that needs help to cover injured players. Worst case is he is off the books next season anyhow.

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! My Girlfriend is a Sens fans, so I was forced to watch a LOT of them this year. I would not touch Gonchar with a 10 foot poll. I'd rather keep the draft pick, save 2 or 3 mill and sign Carlo.

• Like 3

Gonchar was a great defenseman for my Pens for a long time... steady shot blocker and pretty solid positionally. Heck of a shot from the point and obviously a go to guy on any power play. Now I know he's lost a few steps since then, and obviously anyone can find video of a defenseman being burned somewhere along a career as long as Gonchar's, but I dunno if this is your guy. Gonchar wasn't a physical defenseman in his prime, and now that's he so much slower, I dunno that he has the ability to play as strong positionally as he used to. If the Sens are willing to part with him for a Laughton, let alone a measely second round pick, I'd be highly suspect. I haven't seen him like @jammer2 has this past year, but even letting him go for Laughton tells me he's not worth much anymore.

What am I saying.. YES.. trade for him at all costs!!

Edited by Polaris922

Well, hopefully Holmgren does not read this forum or if he does, doesn't listen to the advices of the posters.... because this exactly what I hope the Flyers *don't* do is trade for Gonchar "at all costs". Thank you very much, but I will pass. Can he help this team? I am sure he can. But several 2nd round picks is about all I would give up for him... and even that's too much.

at this point we should have just overpaid for Carle

Again, this is what I like about you as a poster. You're able to call each situation as you see it at the time. Things change, gotta adapt...

Or are you being sarcastic and "taking the piss" as they say?

Honestly, how bad can he be? I'm not a fan of Gonchar, but given our situation, and if the cost really would be a 3rd rounder, I think we have nothing to lose. 3rd rounders are not that valuable.

But there's no way I do it for a 1st rounder... I would consider a 2nd rounder because, again, much less likely to come back and bite us in the behind.

He's a UFA after this year and would pretty much replace exactly what we lost with Carle, so I say go for it.

Again, this is what I like about you as a poster. You're able to call each situation as you see it at the time. Things change, gotta adapt...

Or are you being sarcastic and "taking the piss" as they say?

No unfortunantly I'm serious I would have overpaid for Carle...I'm not afraid to eat crow..

Gonchar was a great defenseman for my Pens for a long time... steady shot blocker and pretty solid positionally. Heck of a shot from the point and obviously a go to guy on any power play. Now I know he's lost a few steps since then, and obviously anyone can find video of a defenseman being burned somewhere along a career as long as Gonchar's, but I dunno if this is your guy. Gonchar wasn't a physical defenseman in his prime, and now that's he so much slower, I dunno that he has the ability to play as strong positionally as he used to. If the Sens are willing to part with him for a Laughton, let alone a measely second round pick, I'd be highly suspect. I haven't seen him like @jammer2 has this past year, but even letting him go for Laughton tells me he's not worth much anymore.

Burned? Ya. How many can you find of an NHL defenceman watching a guy skate by him in a playoff game without putting forth any effort at all? I mean he just let him skate by...and it's not like that was all that rare...Gonchar gave up on plays many times.

Well, hopefully Holmgren does not read this forum or if he does, doesn't listen to the advices of the posters.... because this exactly what I hope the Flyers *don't* do is trade for Gonchar "at all costs". Thank you very much, but I will pass. Can he help this team? I am sure he can. But several 2nd round picks is about all I would give up for him... and even that's too much.

Nah I don't htink Holmgren will trade much for him. If I were Ottawa I wouldn't let him go for a second rounder though, or Laughton for that matter. He's still scoring points, and provides a veteran presence on D for them. I'll be very surprised if this trade were to happen.

Burned? Ya. How many can you find of an NHL defenceman watching a guy skate by him in a playoff game without putting forth any effort at all? I mean he just let him skate by...and it's not like that was all that rare...Gonchar gave up on plays many times.

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in my post about trade for him whatever it takes. Sure he's only a career plus 38 or something in that ballpark, and he IS lazy on D at times, and not physical by any means... BUT.. he also scores points. Not as much as he used to, but 37 on a crappy Sens team isn't bad. And considering their woes last season was only a minus 4. In comparison, Timonen was only plus 8. That's a bridge Gonchar would surely close on your higher powered offense team. I still wouldn't give up what I think Ottawa would want for him. I think he's only being talked about to give you guys a defenseman who can move the puck well with the losses of Carle and now Mezsaros. If I were in your shoes I would rather see what the youth movement has to offer and I used to be a big Gonchar fan. He's past his prime now obviously.

@Polaris922

If I am Homer, I am not giving the Sens anything higher than a second round pick for Gonchar unless they are willing to take Shelley, Walker, and Lilja with him. If they would do that, I would happily hand over a 1st round pick.....probably 2 if they would take them.......

@Polaris922

If I am Homer, I am not giving the Sens anything higher than a second round pick for Gonchar unless they are willing to take Shelley, Walker, and Lilja with him. If they would do that, I would happily hand over a 1st round pick.....probably 2 if they would take them.......

It's hard to say what he's worth to them now. That's a lot of dead weight they'd be absorbing!

@Polaris922

Really? All three of those guys come off the cap at the end of the year. In a year where cap space isn't going to be a problem because there's nobody left to spend it on why would you give up a first round pick much less two to get rid of those guys?

Really? All three of those guys come off the cap at the end of the year. In a year where cap space isn't going to be a problem because there's nobody left to spend it on why would you give up a first round pick much less two to get rid of those guys?

Because the cap is getting ready to shrink by no less than 15% and that is being generous. If there is a hockey season this year, it will only be with MAJOR concessions from the NHLPA. A trade like that is the ONLY way to get dead weight off the books.......Caveat..Do I think it will happen?....Around the time that Bettman says he is the worst thing that ever happened to the NHL and follows through by committing sepuku to atone for his sins......................

It's my dream world, please don't pop my bubble.....

i'd rather they give the young guys a chance, at least until the trade deadline. I'm tired of the old guy routine.

Ab-so-lutely.

Gonchar is one of my hated players. I know he's effective - or was anyway - at what he does, but I never liked him. I can't see how adding him benefits anyone but Gonchar. He's almost 40 years old - 38 I think - and giving him minutes only takes away minutes from younger guys who we need to evaluate. MAB, Gus, Manning - all 3 of them need NHL minutes, and big minutes in all situations. I think we're going to be better defensively than a lot of people think right now. On paper, sure, we're heavy with inexperience. And Kimmo is a year older. Now Mez is out. But these 3 rookies really impressed me last year. Let's see if they can take another step this season. I bet they will.

Gonchar? No thanks.

Ab-so-lutely.

Gonchar is one of my hated players. I know he's effective - or was anyway - at what he does, but I never liked him. I can't see how adding him benefits anyone but Gonchar. He's almost 40 years old - 38 I think - and giving him minutes only takes away minutes from younger guys who we need to evaluate. MAB, Gus, Manning - all 3 of them need NHL minutes, and big minutes in all situations. I think we're going to be better defensively than a lot of people think right now. On paper, sure, we're heavy with inexperience. And Kimmo is a year older. Now Mez is out. But these 3 rookies really impressed me last year. Let's see if they can take another step this season. I bet they will.

Gonchar? No thanks.

At this point I agree. And it's not even because I deslike Gonchar, I htink he is OK. But I just don't see any point in bringing someone like him.

Unless the Flyers pull something major off, the next year will be a trying season for the Flyers... as much as it pains me to admit it. I just don't see them doing anything big with this goaltending and 50% of the defense being composed of rookies. So for that reason alone, it makes sense to just give Bourdon, Gus and Manning ice time to at least get a temperature on what their capabilites are, so next summer proper adjsutments can be made.

Edited by Mad Dog

At this point I agree. And it's not even because I deslike Gonchar, I htink he is OK. But I just don't see any point in bringing someone like him.

Unless the Flyers pull something major off, the next year will be a trying season for the Flyers... as much as it pains me to admit it. I just don't see them doing anything big with this goaltending and 50% of the defense being composed of rookies. So for that reason alone, it makes sense to just give Bourdon, Gus and Manning ice time to at least get a temperature on what their capabilites are, so next summer proper adjsutments can be made.

Only down side to it is that sometimes a young player being forced to take too much ice time in the NHl lavel shatters their confidence and ends their careers. History is full of good prospects people think were "ruined" by the Clubs putting too much on them too soon. I think IF it can be done with a reasonable expectation on the player then it can be nothing but good for them to get the experience, but that's a big IF.

Only down side to it is that sometimes a young player being forced to take too much ice time in the NHl lavel shatters their confidence and ends their careers. History is full of good prospects people think were "ruined" by the Clubs putting too much on them too soon. I think IF it can be done with a reasonable expectation on the player then it can be nothing but good for them to get the experience, but that's a big IF.

I agree. But on the other side of that coin, like Mad Dog and Canoli point out, is a huge upside. Not just for the organization in analyzing where those players are in their development, but for the players personally. Given a chance, they could find out they can really play and compete with the best in the League. They could find out that they're really pretty good. It could boost their confidence and conditioning immensely and be a very positive experience.

It seemed to work out well for our young players on offense. I had the same concerns you articulated - it could have broken them this past season. But Read and Couturier and Schenn to some degree played some decent minutes and played really well, at least in my opinion. They'll take that confidence into the next season and build on it. That's what I'm hoping for with our young defense. Give them the minutes next season.

In the immortal words from the movie "Bad News Bears in Breaking Training" - let them play, let them play!

I agree. But on the other side of that coin, like Mad Dog and Canoli point out, is a huge upside. Not just for the organization in analyzing where those players are in their development, but for the players personally. Given a chance, they could find out they can really play and compete with the best in the League. They could find out that they're really pretty good. It could boost their confidence and conditioning immensely and be a very positive experience.

It seemed to work out well for our young players on offense. I had the same concerns you articulated - it could have broken them this past season. But Read and Couturier and Schenn to some degree played some decent minutes and played really well, at least in my opinion. They'll take that confidence into the next season and build on it. That's what I'm hoping for with our young defense. Give them the minutes next season.

In the immortal words from the movie "Bad News Bears in Breaking Training" - let them play, let them play!

If it works out that way, and I believe it does in most cases, it's great for the young guys. Just always that chance it won't.