The Flyers will give up a top young forward it's imminent

Guest RonJeremy

The Flyers strength is obviuosly up front. Our defense was suspect even if Mez were in there, now with him injured we are in real trouble and lets face it ,if Timmo goes down we are done. So this may not be a banner year in Philly and we lost some offense as well, with Carle and Jagr missing on the PP. Fast forward to next year, Timmo retires and there are no top FA dmen availaBle and no guarantee we can sign one. So how will we be able to improve our defense, without trading one of our young forwards?

The answer is...there is no way. Even if Bourdon and Gus defy expectations, we still have no legit top 2 dmen, just a solid group of 3-6 type of guys. So if we can sign a guy like Perry or Getzlaf or both, then as much as it kills us, we can tun around and deal some young forward for a defenseman. I just don't see any other way of us landing a quality dman,and there certainly are none in our system.

The only other alternative is ,if we are out of a playoff spot or limping along ,then at the deadline you dump Timmo or Briere for either good prospects or draft picks to help us have more to offer Ina trade for defense. Our inability to draft top dmen is now showing, we always end up having to trade for defense.

Well, I say we leave it alone until the trade deadline at this point. We will make the playoffs and once you make the dance anything can happen. Maybe Homer will or won't trade but as for me I'm simply not willing to part with any of our young guys. This MIGHT not be as bad as it seems... Getting ONE good d-man isn't going to put us over the top anyway. Sometimes teams do better when they have to ralley together rather than everyone on the team relying on that one guy to bail them out...

Lets see what our mix of MAB/Manning/Guss and the Vets can do first...

• Like 2

@idahophilly @flyercanuck

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I meant to say... What I meant was I could just see them signing to play in Canada, I can't really envision them going to a team like Philly. I think they either stay loyal to Anaheim or bolt to Canada... not really any fact involved (besides Getzlaf's desire to play for Canada) but just a hunch...

Edited by habsguy26

@habsguy26 "Not sure, but I can just see one or both of them signing else where like Edmonton or Toronto or something.. I know Getzlaf has been vocal about his desire to play in Canada."

Wow, this almost sounds like the rantings of a Leaf fan. You know, the age old theory that almost every player in the league is willing to take a pay cut to play in Toronto, the hockey mecca. Hear it every single year, have never seen a major free agent sign there, and certainly not at any discount (know you didn't mention the discount thing, just say'in....I hear it ALL the time). I've never heard about Getzlaf wanting to play in Canada, might have missed it, but it's news to me.

@murraycraven

hm....Let's face it, Getzlaf and Perry will not sign in Philly, period. Pretty sure they've never even been linked with Philly? I have no idea why Philly would even be interested considering they're already at the cap and it would take Parise money (maybe even a bit more) x 2 to sign them.

@murraycraven

hm....Let's face it, Getzlaf and Perry will not sign in Philly, period. Pretty sure they've never even been linked with Philly? I have no idea why Philly would even be interested considering they're already at the cap and it would take Parise money (maybe even a bit more) x 2 to sign them.

You obviously have no clue what the flyers cap is.... we have ample cap space come next FA and are easily under the cap now... try again BC I have a hunch you have no clue what you are talking about. As jammer said.... this seems like a nonsensical leafs fan rant....

And who said we would sign both? Oh, that is right... you have a hunch so I guess we are mathematically out... dear lord....

Edited by murraycraven

I've never heard about Getzlaf wanting to play in Canada, might have missed it, but it's news to me.

Neither did I. Where all this nonsense is coming from I have no idea. And the Ducks have the entire season to either trade them or re-sign them... or at least one of them. I have really hard time seeing them losing them both, or even one.

• Like 1

Whoever posted this said Flyers could sign them both. But anyways, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you thick skulled Flyer fans... and FYI Getzlaf said he'd love to play for a canadian team after the Olympics. You would have missed it because it was a CTV report. I also have a hunch that you have no idea what your talking about, because you seem to believe that the Flyers have a hope in hell of landing either of these two. See you in a year!

I also have a hunch that you have no idea what your talking about, because you seem to believe that the Flyers have a hope in hell of landing either of these two. See you in a year!

You seem to have a lot of "hunches", don't you? I, for one, think if.... IF.... either of them hits an open market next summer, the Flyers have as good of a chance of landing them as any other team. I just don't see a scenario where both of them become UFAs. And I sure haven't heard or seen any report that even hinted at Getzlaf wanting to play in Canada... which is not to say he doesn't. But when you make statements like these, you should expect people to at least ask for the point of reference. If you heard in on the radio, that's fine. It's just weird that noboidy else heard that.

• Like 1

You seem to have a lot of "hunches", don't you? I, for one, think if.... IF.... either of them hits an open market next summer, the Flyers have as good of a chance of landing them as any other team. I just don't see a scenario where both of them become UFAs. And I sure haven't heard or seen any report that even hinted at Getzlaf wanting to play in Canada... which is not to say he doesn't. But when you make statements like these, you should expect people to at least ask for the point of reference. If you heard in on the radio, that's fine. It's just weird that noboidy else heard that.

Which is exactly my point, I'm pretty sure I stated Getzlaf and Perry will remain loyal to the Ducks, and if they don't they'll get top dollar, and why would it make sense for the Flyers who have Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Vorachek, Simmonds, Briere and Hartnell in their top 6? Doesn't make sense, unless Holmgren decides to pull a Holmgren and disassemble the roster, again. #flyerslogic

Edited by habsguy26

@ Habs, if you read my post, it would make sense for the Flyers to try and sign Getlaf or Perry or both, so then we can trade some of our other forwards for much needed defense. If we traded lets say, Coots and /or Schenn for defense, we will weaken the offense tremendously while strenghting the defense. But if we sign two top forwards, then trading other forwards will not hurt them team. What Im saying is we have no means to get, a top 2 dman, without giving up one of our good young forwards at least.