The Flyers will give up a top young forward it's imminent

Guest RonJeremy

Whoever posted this said Flyers could sign them both. But anyways, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you thick skulled Flyer fans... and FYI Getzlaf said he'd love to play for a canadian team after the Olympics. You would have missed it because it was a CTV report. I also have a hunch that you have no idea what your talking about, because you seem to believe that the Flyers have a hope in hell of landing either of these two. See you in a year!

Lol, "thick skulled Flyers fans", that's funny coming from a Habs fan. I'm sure Getzlaf would love to play for a Canadian team but it won't be Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa if anything it would be Edmonton or Vancouver. Bottomline is if Getzlaf doesn't resign with Anaheim, he'll play where he's going to get paid the most. I'm sure if an American based team offered him more money than a Canadian-based team that he's going to say no. Chances are neither him or Perry will see free agency next summer because Anaheim will resign both of them and get rid of Bobby Ryan.

• Like 1

@ Habs, if you read my post, it would make sense for the Flyers to try and sign Getlaf or Perry or both, so then we can trade some of our other forwards for much needed defense. If we traded lets say, Coots and /or Schenn for defense, we will weaken the offense tremendously while strenghting the defense. But if we sign two top forwards, then trading other forwards will not hurt them team. What Im saying is we have no means to get, a top 2 dman, without giving up one of our good young forwards at least.

It would make a lot of sense to sign Perry or Getzlaf. There are about, roughly, 30 teams that it would make sense to sign Perry and/or Getzlaf.

Unfortunately, they are not available and are, quite frankly, probably not going to be. Getzlaf is the captain of the Ducks. What about the Ducks makes you think they want to blow everything up? What benefit do the Ducks achieve by letting their two top stars - and captain - walk?

But that Doan-Getzlaf-Perry line will look great in orange and black.

you thick skulled Flyer fans.

I have a hunch that when @orange_crush sees these comments he's gonna be upset.

I'm pretty sure he's like me and prefers knuckle-dragger.

Besides, who doesn't like a thick skull? Keeps the noggin safe and means you can take a few punches while you're getting your elbow pad off in order to lay a beating on, say, a Habs fan.

• Like 2

Besides, who doesn't like a thick skull? Keeps the noggin safe and means you can take a few punches while you're getting your elbow pad off in order to lay a beating on, say, a Habs fan.

If only Lindros had had a thicker skull....

I got a hearty LOL out of this :lol:

Good stuff Pods!

• Like 1

But that Doan-Getzlaf-Perry line will look great in orange and black.

See my "is this fantasy hockey?" thread ! lol.............. The scary thing Rad is that there ARE fans who think we can and should sign/trade for all three! It would be great for next years fantasy league though.... But hey, that's just my "hunch"...

• Like 1

@radoran

Ah, I see that now. In the end, there is not a skull out there thick enough to withstand the beating that Eric's brain took. I still, after all these years, am flabbergasted that folks didn't find a way to train him to pick his head up. It should have been doable, with technology (electro-shock comes to mind) and worth it, given the stakes.

is thick skulled supposed to be an insult? F for lack of creativity and sense..

@radoran

Ah, I see that now. In the end, there is not a skull out there thick enough to withstand the beating that Eric's brain took. I still, after all these years, am flabbergasted that folks didn't find a way to train him to pick his head up. It should have been doable, with technology (electro-shock comes to mind) and worth it, given the stakes.

Lindros' problem was that he was always bigger than everyone he was playing against.

Until he wasn't.

If he'd learned from the first injury to keep his head up he may have been able to stick with it longer.

I think he did play a little "lighter" than when he first came into the league as a real wrecking ball.

But my point would be in split second situations, you are much more likely to revert to a "bad habit" and trying to force the play into the zone to lift your team seems to me to be one of those situations...

• Like 1

@radoran- Im not saying the Ducks willingly let Getzlaf and Perry go, but they are UFA's after this season. Maybe they cant afford to sign both, or maybe both guys decide to test the market, everyone was convince Leino and Carle would stay with the flyers and give us the hometown discount, and you saw what happenned there. So if we can get one or both, then it softens the blow of having to deal Schenn or Coots or Voracek to get some defense. After this season we will have lost our top offfensive 3 dmen over the last couple of years.Prongs, Timmo and Care .So without a trade we have no means to get a top 2 dman that I can see. Of course it would be foolish to weaken the offense in order to improve the defense, unless we can replace that offense with some UFAs.

@radoran- Im not saying the Ducks willingly let Getzlaf and Perry go, but they are UFA's after this season. Maybe they cant afford to sign both, or maybe both guys decide to test the market, everyone was convince Leino and Carle would stay with the flyers and give us the hometown discount, and you saw what happenned there. So if we can get one or both, then it softens the blow of having to deal Schenn or Coots or Voracek to get some defense. After this season we will have lost our top offfensive 3 dmen over the last couple of years.Prongs, Timmo and Care .So without a trade we have no means to get a top 2 dman that I can see. Of course it would be foolish to weaken the offense in order to improve the defense, unless we can replace that offense with some UFAs.

I never thought Carle and Leino would give a "hometown discount" and once they were on the market, they got deals I wouldn't have given them.

I do think it was possible to sign Carle for "less" than $5.5M before he hit the market - and almost *certainly* possible to have signed Leino for less. I think they could have got Jagr for less than $4.5M before he hit the market. The only real "hometown discount" that applies is guys willing to sign with a competitive team that will commit to them for what is reasonably *slightly* less than they might command to go to a building team or someone willing to "overpay."

Or Shane Doan.

All I'm asking is to look at it from the other team's perspective. Why are the Ducks going to let them walk? Because they "might" not have the money? Do they or don't they? I think they clearly do. Why do Getzlaf and Perry want to leave the hellhole of Southern California where they've had great success?

If Anaheim wants to be a serious team - and they've actually won the Cup in recent memory - they keep their players. From where I sit, at best one of the two might hit the market.

Lastly, right now if you can replace your offense that you are offering in a trade with UFA offense that is available, why is the team trading to you when they could keep their players and sign the replacement offense that you would?

And for next season, Streit will be 34, Whitney's available (29), Visnovsky (35), Edler (26) - all UFA. Leopold, Lydman...?

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Well, I say we leave it alone until the trade deadline at this point. We will make the playoffs and once you make the dance anything can happen. Maybe Homer will or won't trade but as for me I'm simply not willing to part with any of our young guys. This MIGHT not be as bad as it seems... Getting ONE good d-man isn't going to put us over the top anyway. Sometimes teams do better when they have to ralley together rather than everyone on the team relying on that one guy to bail them out...

Lets see what our mix of MAB/Manning/Guss and the Vets can do first...

I agree about waiting. Homer is smart and making a deal when you're desperate is never a good thing as teams know they can hold up Homer.

Wait until the deadline. If we are looking out of it, we have options. We can deal Kimo and his contract to a desperate team since his contract could come off the books at the end of the year. IF Manning or Gus or Luc develop ahead of schedule perhaps make a pitch for Getzlaff or Perry and try to Hartnell/Kimo the Ducks.

With Weber and a healthy Mez our D would have been stacked. Acquiring Schenn will help alot and for the first time in a long time we do have some talented blueliners we can plug in.

Best bet - wait until the deadline and assess the team at that point and deal from a possible position of strength versus dealing now out of weakness

Philly's going to become a more lucrative market after this new CBA goes through. With them limiting the front loaded long term deals the way they want to, teams are going to be further equalized in what they can offer top players.

But Philly has millions to be made in endorsements that many many other cities don't.

It's going to star turning into something more like college football used to be where the school can offer only so much, but the backers and donors can offer a whole bunch more.

We have them. A star coming to Philly can count on some serious extra cash that the CBA can't get their grubby Mits on

Philly's going to become a more lucrative market after this new CBA goes through. With them limiting the front loaded long term deals the way they want to, teams are going to be further equalized in what they can offer top players.

But Philly has millions to be made in endorsements that many many other cities don't.

It's going to star turning into something more like college football used to be where the school can offer only so much, but the backers and donors can offer a whole bunch more.

We have them. A star coming to Philly can count on some serious extra cash that the CBA can't get their grubby Mits on

I recall many a Leaf fan saying this exact same thing after the lockout and salary cap. There was also the draw of playing for such a storied franchise and being close to home for many players. Here we are almost a decade later and we're STILL waiting for them to sign a top FA ...and they haven't made the playoffs once since.

@radoran.... We dont really know what Getzlaf and Perry are thinking, maybe they want a change of scenery,maybe they truly want to test the market, I guess only time will tell. As our team is now, if we lose one more dman to injury, epecially, if its Timmo or Coburn, then you know for sure Homer will have no choice but to make a trade, and in order to get a good dman we will have to part with a good forward. Lets face it , it seems to me we have had to trade for a dman every single year and we always seem to get inuries on the blueline more than anything.

You wrote------Lastly, right now if you can replace your offense that you are offering in a trade with UFA offense that is available, why is the team trading to you when they could keep their players and sign the replacement offense that you would?

My answer to that is, they may not have the $$ to sign the players like Getzlaf or Perry or the players may not want to go there, Buffalo has alot of defense, i dont know of too many players who are eager to go to Buffalo.

I am only offering a suggestion on how a trade for defense can possibly happen, because I dont care how good Manning, Gus or Bourdon might look, they are no replacements for Pronger, Carle and Timmo. The list of UFA dmen you put up, except for Edler, are all old washed up guys. We need a long term solution for our defense, not some overpaid washed up veteran to act as a band-aid for one year. We have no top 3 dmen anywhere in our system and even if we drafted a stud dman this year its 3-4 years before he makes a real impact, so we are going to have to make a deal somewhere along the line.

Think about the year we lost the Cup we had Timmo and Pronger and Carle, but our 3rd pair of Parent and Krajeck were so bad , every time they were on the ice , they couldnt clear the puck at all. So we went out and improved our third pairing, but along the way we lost our first pairing of Pronger and Carle and next we will lose Timmo. If those dmen were not enough to win the Cup, how in gods name do we have a prayer without them? THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL WE WIN ANYTHING WITH THE DEFENSE WE HAVE. The only guy with puck skills for our PP is Timmo , and he isnt all that impressive in that apsect anyway.We really have no playmaking defensmen at all, Gus might end up putting up points, but he is tiny and could be a liability on defense. Bourdon has a solid point shot, but he has had two major concussions since he got knocked out in the AHL in that fight. Timmo is falling apart due to age and injury. Mez is done for most of the year and had two major injuries , so its not looking too good.

So as far as I can see, the best scenario would be to sign some top UFA offense(Getzlaf,Perry) next year, and then it softens the blow of trading one of our young guys for some defense. Maybe we can sign Edler on defense, but we still need more than that. Some how,somewhere, we need a young top pairing defenseman.