The Flyers will give up a top young forward it's imminent

Guest RonJeremy

Greetings:

A week ago I agreed with the premise of a forward "asset" being traded for a D-Man. After the shock has worn off I think differently.

We went into last season thinking the team would be "scoring challenged" and that the revamped D and Bryz would tighten us up. Well, we know what happened.

So, I think the following: We go into the season and see what gives. We might be pleasantly surprised. Right now we could overreact and pay far too much for a 2nd tier D man.

Best,

Howie

P.S. I still wonder if Homer might try to find an overseas or undrafted guy?

@radoran.... We dont really know what Getzlaf and Perry are thinking, maybe they want a change of scenery,maybe they truly want to test the market, I guess only time will tell. As our team is now, if we lose one more dman to injury, epecially, if its Timmo or Coburn, then you know for sure Homer will have no choice but to make a trade, and in order to get a good dman we will have to part with a good forward. Lets face it , it seems to me we have had to trade for a dman every single year and we always seem to get inuries on the blueline more than anything.

You wrote------Lastly, right now if you can replace your offense that you are offering in a trade with UFA offense that is available, why is the team trading to you when they could keep their players and sign the replacement offense that you would?

My answer to that is, they may not have the $$ to sign the players like Getzlaf or Perry or the players may not want to go there, Buffalo has alot of defense, i dont know of too many players who are eager to go to Buffalo.

I am only offering a suggestion on how a trade for defense can possibly happen, because I dont care how good Manning, Gus or Bourdon might look, they are no replacements for Pronger, Carle and Timmo. The list of UFA dmen you put up, except for Edler, are all old washed up guys. We need a long term solution for our defense, not some overpaid washed up veteran to act as a band-aid for one year. We have no top 3 dmen anywhere in our system and even if we drafted a stud dman this year its 3-4 years before he makes a real impact, so we are going to have to make a deal somewhere along the line.

Think about the year we lost the Cup we had Timmo and Pronger and Carle, but our 3rd pair of Parent and Krajeck were so bad , every time they were on the ice , they couldnt clear the puck at all. So we went out and improved our third pairing, but along the way we lost our first pairing of Pronger and Carle and next we will lose Timmo. If those dmen were not enough to win the Cup, how in gods name do we have a prayer without them? THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL WE WIN ANYTHING WITH THE DEFENSE WE HAVE. The only guy with puck skills for our PP is Timmo , and he isnt all that impressive in that apsect anyway.We really have no playmaking defensmen at all, Gus might end up putting up points, but he is tiny and could be a liability on defense. Bourdon has a solid point shot, but he has had two major concussions since he got knocked out in the AHL in that fight. Timmo is falling apart due to age and injury. Mez is done for most of the year and had two major injuries , so its not looking too good.

So as far as I can see, the best scenario would be to sign some top UFA offense(Getzlaf,Perry) next year, and then it softens the blow of trading one of our young guys for some defense. Maybe we can sign Edler on defense, but we still need more than that. Some how,somewhere, we need a young top pairing defenseman.

Well, what I am saying is - what move do we deal the youngster for that GIVES US A WAY IN HELL TO WIN THINGS thisyear rightnow.

If you can give me that deal (like dealing Voracek and a few picks for Weber) I just might do that. Unfortunately, they didn't.

Aside from that, there really isn't one. Therefore, I see no need to deal our reasonably priced youth for defense in a "win now" moment when - barring lightning conveniently inserting itself into bottle - the Flyers aren't a "guaranteed win" anyway.

@radoran, my whole post was based on the premise next off season , not this season. I wrote that unless we got some additional offense via UFA,like Getzlaf or Perry it would be pointless to trade guys like Schenn or Coots for defense,since you would be weakening one area to strenghten another,so that really doesnt help us much. i also wrote that at the deadline if were limping along or out of contention, maybe we trade some veterans like Briere or Timmo for some picks or young prospects and stockpile some assets for offseason moves. I totally agree with you, that for this season ,we are stuck with what we have.I am just very worried that if Timmo goes down or Coburn ,Homer will foolishly trade Coots or Schenn for some overpriced dman. i really think we should sign Coliacavo, for the right price to help get us through this year. im really not expecting much this season, we have less offense without Jags and JVR, a much weaker PP without Carle and Mez, and less skill and depth on defense overall.

I think we try our best with what we have this year and then, swing for the fences again in the offseason , somehow ,some way we have to land at least one top 2 dman and without a trade its not gonna happen.Unless there is a great young dman out there who is RFA and homer can try and make a big offer. We didnt want to overpay Carle, but somehwere along the line we will end up overpaying somebody.

@radoran, my whole post was based on the premise next off season , not this season. I wrote that unless we got some additional offense via UFA,like Getzlaf or Perry it would be pointless to trade guys like Schenn or Coots for defense,since you would be weakening one area to strenghten another,so that really doesnt help us much. i also wrote that at the deadline if were limping along or out of contention, maybe we trade some veterans like Briere or Timmo for some picks or young prospects and stockpile some assets for offseason moves. I totally agree with you, that for this season ,we are stuck with what we have.I am just very worried that if Timmo goes down or Coburn ,Homer will foolishly trade Coots or Schenn for some overpriced dman. i really think we should sign Coliacavo, for the right price to help get us through this year. im really not expecting much this season, we have less offense without Jags and JVR, a much weaker PP without Carle and Mez, and less skill and depth on defense overall.

I think we try our best with what we have this year and then, swing for the fences again in the offseason , somehow ,some way we have to land at least one top 2 dman and without a trade its not gonna happen.Unless there is a great young dman out there who is RFA and homer can try and make a big offer. We didnt want to overpay Carle, but somehwere along the line we will end up overpaying somebody.

I would say to look two years from now. Or three. See what's coming up that you can poach (like Weber - who they may have gotten as a UFA, for example, if they hadn't pushed it as a RFA).

I'd be much happier with a methodical, technical march towards a Cuip than the two steps forward, three steps back approach followed to this point...

Am I te only one not feeling terribly bleak about this year?

I think another forward or d man would be nice, even preferred. But Grossman and Schenn ain't nothing.

Homer screwed the pooch on jags by trying for surges and zack... And he somehow tricked the press into rhino g their franchise. But what's wrong with the ten that's left? How are they any worse than last year's team without Pronger?

We're short a Mezo and Jagr.

Are you all just anticipating sophomore slumps for everyone?

@habsfan26

Don't you have a date to jump off a pier somewhere? :blink: Oh, wait.......

Caveat.....the above post was meant to be humorous.....no animals were harmed in the writing of this post....... ;)

I am sure that "a trade of a young forward" is now TRULY imminent due to an injury to #1 d-man Andreas Lilja.............. :rolleyes:

<sarcasm font>

• Like 1