HBO 24/7 - Episode 1

Guest five6four

So what did everyone think?

First of all I thought more would be here, around to chat during the episode.

I thought Anisimov's 16min penalty was a bit excessive.

Is Laviolette being extra guarded in his taping?

Taking daily concussion tests, must really suck.

First of all I thought more would be here, around to chat during the episode.

I thought Anisimov's 16min penalty was a bit excessive.

Is Laviolette being extra guarded in his taping?

I think HBO does a great job with this. Last year's version was excellent and this looks to be as good. Lavi does come off as kind of a puritan compared to Torts, but then he is a New Englander. Sucks that Pronger is out, he'd probably be interesting in the locker room. And Bryzgalov is a nut... "I'm into the universe" ... say what?

I thought that it was interesting the comment made by Lavy, that Bryz doesnt' quite "fit in" .....although he likes him

It just makes me wonder if part of that not fitting in attributed to Bryz's early struggles in goal.

I would have liked to see more non hockey related stuff to the Flyers. I only recall the rink opening with Wayne Simmonds and the brief 20 seconds of the christmas skate at the skate zone. Seemed like they showed more off ice activities of the Rangers. Would have been cool to hear some of the conversations with Giroux and McCrossin and the other doctors but I guess that stuff is a bit private and priviledged information.

@PhilsFanDrew

I hear you, but since we we're winning HBO showed the world just that. And Avery is such a douch with the GQ crap. I just don't like him.

@hf101

Bryzgalov was very candid for the camera. I loved how he described Philly as "goalie hell" and that no serious netminder wants to play here since they get eaten alive.

I like the blast that Jagr had about coming to Philadelphia over Pittsburgh, but let's be honest, was it his heart or his bank account that brought him to Philadelphia? I like Jagr, but I feel like he was spitting out the company line for the camera. Let's hope he starts to get real in some up comming episodes.

Talbot still has the same ugly Christmas sweater from last year's installment. Good to see that he is consistent.

Giroux is an absolute monster. I like how he is pissed that he is hurt. The league needs more players like him.

I am shocked the Richards and Carter were not mentioned by name.

And lastly, the locker room dance is whack. If it were any other team in the league we would be ripping them apart, but since it's the Flyers and it's working, I'll learn to like it.

Next week I think will give us a little more insight on the team's behind the scenes life. I would like to see the Briere household with the rookie. It kind of reminds me of Miss McGill's house from the movie Youngblood.

All in all I think HBO does a great job with their 24/7 series.

I really enjoyed it. In addition to some of the stuff mentioned in the Inquirer piece, I laughed out loud at the (Czech?) guy with the accent outside the Wells Fargo Center cheering Jaromir Jagr. I also laughed at Hartnell's comment to Matt Cooke who's complaining about Hartnell putting his leg into one of the Pens; he says something like "yeah right, you're the dirtiest player in the league.."

Also, after seeing Sean Avery off ice...I hate him even more. He's a weird, creepy guy who is into fashion and modeling. What's not to like?

I would like to see the Briere household with the rookie. It kind of reminds me of Miss McGill's house from the movie Youngblood.

Ummm, just what are you saying about Mrs. Briere?

Think about how they used to test for concussions in the past: [whack in the head] "Does that still hurt?"

Lavy is an excellent coach. He kept saying passion and intensity. His desire to win is just amazing and is perfect for Flyers fans.

Marshall dancing in the locker room? Fits right in with the guys despite not being with the big club for to long. Great to see.

Simmonds calling Philly a much better hockey town than LA was funny. Although everyone knows it, it was great to hear it from a player.

Bryz is just one funny guy. Someone said it already but he's going to be an announcer or have his own talk show. Weird but very funny and likable guy.

I'm hoping they show a little more behind the scenes and off the ice for the Flyers.

Pretty amazing to see the behind the scenes of these guys that make millions of dollars. They think nothing of putting a $2500 dinner on their credit card. It's just hard to fathom sometimes.

Best quote was Bryz's "In China if you kill tiger and they find you - you dead."

I enjoyed it but more than I need to know about the Rangers LOL. It sounded like a day in the life of a military man Fireman or older kids on a playground. Some salty language for sure although this old guy knows that is pretty much the norm now days.

24/7 Season Two Premiere Down 26% From 2010

by stevelepore December 20, 2011

You just can’t predict television sometimes, and the double-digit losses for the premiere of Season 2 of the critically adored 24/7 Rangers/Flyers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic drew 284,000 viewers on Wednesday night. This was down 26% from episode one, featuring the Penguins and Capitals, which drew 383,000 viewers on December 15th of last year. Just as an example, the Chicago-Minnesota game on VERSUS drew 540,000 viewers on the same night.

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/247-season-two-premiere-down-26-from-2010/

24/7 Season Two Premiere Down 26% From 2010

by stevelepore December 20, 2011

You just can’t predict television sometimes, and the double-digit losses for the premiere of Season 2 of the critically adored 24/7 Rangers/Flyers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic drew 284,000 viewers on Wednesday night. This was down 26% from episode one, featuring the Penguins and Capitals, which drew 383,000 viewers on December 15th of last year. Just as an example, the Chicago-Minnesota game on VERSUS drew 540,000 viewers on the same night.

No matter the teams, I think this will be a continuing trend. 2010 was the first year the cable companies actually had a net decline in the number of subscriptions since cable tv existed.

People are starting to realize that paying $50-150 a month for TV is absurd. AppleTV, Roku and other internet based TV appliances are becoming more and more popular.

With the horrible economy TV is usually the first utility to take the hit by either a scale down in package (HBO) or take the hit completely (like at my house).

Less cable TV users, Less HBO subscribers - mix those together with the bastards that share the video via YouTube and you'll have far fewer viewers.

PS - The first episode in it's entirety can be found in the videos section.