Possible Pens lineups...

Guest Polaris922

What do you think??

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639284

Evgeni Malkin became the League's MVP, and linemate James Neal also earned First Team All-Star honors. Sidney Crosby came back from injury (twice) and piled up points.

Once Crosby returned, the Pittsburgh Penguins were whole again. They also racked up goals like a juggernaut, and became a near-consensus favorite to win the Stanley Cup for the second time in four seasons. As the regular season ended, their work at the defensive end of the rink eroded and the Philadelphia Flyers exposed Pittsburgh in a wild first-round playoff series.

2012-13 Penguins Fantasy Team Preview

FLEURY_325blank_041712.jpg

Under-valued: Marc-Andre Fleury - Struggled in playoffs (4.63 GAA in six games), but was NHL.com's fourth rated fantasy goalie at season's end thanks to his 42 wins and 2.36 GAA -- expect more of the same on elite Pens' group.

Over-valued: Pascal Dupuis - Averaged just 23 seconds of PP time per game last season, but was a dominant even-strength player with career-highs in goals (25), assists (34), plus/minus (plus-18) and shots on goal (214). Not likely to repeat at the age of 33.

Sleeper: Tyler Kennedy - Regressed to just 11 goals and 33 points in 60 games last season after recording 21 goals and 45 points in 2010-11. If starting season on Crosby's line, Kennedy could be a nice bounce-back candidate.

General manager Ray Shero broke up Pittsburgh's "Big Three" this offseason, trading Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes, but netting solid No. 3 center Brandon Sutter and two nice defense prospects in return. Zbynek Michalek was also traded to clear salary-cap space. Shero took a home run cut at free agency, trying to lure Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to Western Pennsylvania before they ended up with the Minnesota Wild.

Shero did add goaltender Tomas Vokoun, but Michalek's replacement is expected to come from within. Pittsburgh can be a Cup contender again, but the Penguins need to prove their collapse against the rival Flyers was an anomaly and behind them.

Forwards

Chris Kunitz- Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis

Matt Cooke - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal

Eric Tangradi - Brandon Sutter - Tyler Kennedy

Tanner Glass - Joe Vitale - Dustin Jeffrey

Craig Adams

Defensemen

Brooks Orpik - Kris Letang

Paul Martin - Matt Niskanen

Simon Despres - Deryk Engelland

Ben Lovejoy - Brian Strait

Goaltenders

Marc-Andre Fleury

Tomas Vokoun

NOTES: Like the other teams that missed out on Parise and Suter, the Penguins of early August may not look exactly like the team on opening night, or certainly the one in early March. Shero still has nearly $10 million of salary-cap space, according to Capgeek.com, so that extra frontline forward or defenseman could be forthcoming.

Kunitz, Malkin and Neal were one of the top lines in hockey last season, but don't be surprised if Kunitz returns to his previous post next to Crosby and Dupuis. The internal candidates for the final spot in the top six include Cooke, Kennedy, Tangradi and Jeffrey.

Adding Sutter and a full season from Crosby will make up for losing Staal, and Vokoun is an upgrade behind Fleury in net. The questions about the team's commitment to defense in front of the goaltenders will linger for a while, and it will be interesting to see if Simon Despres, or one of the other young rearguards in Pittsburgh's burgeoning stable, can replace or even be an upgrade from Michalek.

There will be heavy scrutiny of Fleury's early-season work. Ditto for Martin, and whoever ends up in the top six forwards.

@Polaris922

I can't say that I'm a big fan of those proposed lines. I think @B21 had it right (at least with the current makeup of the team) in the post that he started about line combinations. I don't know why you'd break up the Kunitz/Malkin/Neal line. I'm sure things will get shuffled a bit throughout the season, but in my opinion you start out with that line intact. Put Tangradi up with Crosby early so we can see what we have and see if any chemistry develops. I think it was you that said that maybe he just needs time with a centerman that isn't Craig Adams (paraphrasing here)... I can't disagree with that. So lets put him up there and see what he's made of. If he can't hit the next level playing next to 87 then he's probably not going to.

In my opinion and I can't say I'm exactly thrilled with the way the second line is looking, but until a move is made I guess this will have to do...

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Tangradi - Crosby - Dupuis

Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy

Glass - Vitale - Adams

(Jeffrey)

Orpik - Letang

Martin - Niskanen

Engelland - Despres

(Lovejoy)

Fleury

Vokoun

I don't see how you can put Matt Cooke on the 2nd line and Tyler Kennedy on the third....Kennedy has the skills and speed and should be on one of the top 2 lines. I would keep the Kunitz/Malkin/Neal line together too

With Dupuis coming off the best season of his entire career (25 goals-34 assists), I would keep him with Crosby.

Yeah maybe, but then most any player would have the best season of his career likely with Crosby. I like Cooke with Crosby as he takes some of the attention away from Sid. However, Cooke probably would also pair well with Sutter, he definitely is more versatile imo than Dupuis.

I don't see how you can put Matt Cooke on the 2nd line and Tyler Kennedy on the third....Kennedy has the skills and speed and should be on one of the top 2 lines. I would keep the Kunitz/Malkin/Neal line together too

You'd think Kennedy would step up somewhere but despite big ice time this past season he oly rang it up 11 times. I'd leave Dupuis on Crosby's wing, and give Tangradi a shot with them. If he fails, then maybe move Kennedy up for a tryout, or Cooke to crash the net.

• Like 1

You'd think Kennedy would step up somewhere but despite big ice time this past season he oly rang it up 11 times. I'd leave Dupuis on Crosby's wing, and give Tangradi a shot with them. If he fails, then maybe move Kennedy up for a tryout, or Cooke to crash the net.

If the Pens have to play Cooke on one of the top two lines, The Pens have issues.........

• Like 1

Inserting Tangredi into the top six might be a bit of a stretch at this point. He has top 6 talent IMHO, but whether it materializes at the NHL level this coming year, that's a big if. It's a make or break year for Tanger coming up....it will tell us if he is legit or bottom six guy who might struggle going forward.

@flyerrod

Agreed... I like that Cooke changed his game and scored instead of sitting out games, but I don't think he's a Rob Brown type for Crosby. Keep him 3rd line if we can!

@jammer2

I sometimes wonder if we haven't seen much from the kid because he's seen minimal ice time and what he's seen has been on Craig Adams' wing. I like Adams as a 4th center but offensive juggernaut he is not!

Make or break for the kid this year I agree.

I tipped my hat to TK after his 2010-2011 season, but netting only 11 goals and 22 helpers after receiving a pay raise isn't going to cut it on a second line. He has taken some heat for his lack of production and rightfully so. If you're given the ice time and a raise, you should be expected to produce and he didn't this past season.

With that being said, I do like his speed and energy. Much like Cooke, I do like him in a third-line role, but barring an injury to one of our top-six wingers or if Dupuis is seriously struggling, I prefer seeing him on the third line.

Like you and considering our options are limited, I would start the season off with Tangradi and see how he responds. If he doesn't cut it, I would give Jeffrey a shot. He's not the "answer" to our woes, but given our circumstances I would give him a shot. I think the knee surgery back in 2011 didn't do him any favors and he was sort of forgotten about over time. I'm willing to see what he can do when given a legitimate opportunity.

At the end of the day and until Shero swings a deal, what could it hurt?

Edited by Penguins-66

I tipped my hat to TK after his 2010-2011 season, but netting only 11 goals and 22 helpers after receiving a pay raise isn't going to cut it on a second line. He has taken some heat for his lack of production and rightfully so. If you're given the ice time and a raise, you should be expected to produce and he didn't this past season.

With that being said, I do like his speed and energy. Much like Cooke, I do like him in a third-line role, but barring an injury to one of our top-six wingers or if Dupuis is seriously struggling, I prefer seeing him on the third line.

Like you and considering our options are limited, I would start the season off with Tangradi and see how he responds. If he doesn't cut it, I would give Jeffrey a shot. He's not the "answer" to our woes, but given our circumstances I would give him a shot. I think the knee surgery back in 2011 didn't do him any favors and he was sort of forgotten about over time. I'm willing to see what he can do when given a legitimate opportunity.

At the end of the day and until Shero swings a deal, what could it hurt?

Agree on all points. Especially Kennedy shooting for the chest! Sickens me to watch sometimes. I DID forget about Dustin Jeffrey though maybe moving up on Sid's wing. He plays a fairly big game and has shown he has hands. Maybe if he stats healthy he can find himself a niche. Hoping Tangradi is in there and takes away the opportunity though...

And welcome! Always good to have another Pens fan here. We're slightly outnumbered ;)

Edited by Polaris922

Especially Kennedy shooting for the chest!

Ah, yes. Tyler Kennedy's predictable toe-drag, shoot from 40 feet out and aim for the logo move.

If he's going to constantly use that move, at least hold up and wait until there is a body in front of the net for a rebound opportunity. It's frustrating to watch.

And welcome! Always good to have another Pens fan here. We're slightly outnumbered ;)

Thank you for the welcoming. Reinforcements have arrived. ;)

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 1

@Polaris922

It's a mistery to me why Tyler Kennedy doesn't score more goals. I think the explanaiton - at least to me - is he needs good linemates to open up ice for him. He won't do much if you put him with Sutter. I'd put him on the left wing with Malkin and he should be able to take off.... I watch him play and at least in my mind, he should be a consistent 30 goals & 25 assists player *at worst*, but he won't do on the checking line. He needs an opportunity to score goals. If there is any year for him to break out, I think this is it. I think he is line for what Dupuis has done last year when placed in the right situation.

I watch him play and at least in my mind, he should be a consistent 30 goals & 25 assists player *at worst*

I like TK, don't get me wrong. But that seems a little overly optimistic in my opinion. *Maybe* playing with Malkin (or Sid for that matter) he could get those numbers, but even then I don't know that I'd be optimistic that he'd be *consistent* in doing so. That being said, I'd love for him to surprise me. :)

I like TK, don't get me wrong. But that seems a little overly optimistic in my opinion. *Maybe* playing with Malkin (or Sid for that matter) he could get those numbers, but even then I don't know that I'd be optimistic that he'd be *consistent* in doing so. That being said, I'd love for him to surprise me. :)

Yeah, 30/25 are probably overly optimistic. It's almost like our Voracek. People expect huge things for him this year, and they are basing it strictly on his projected role playing on teh first line with Girous. But that doesn't mean he *will* deliver those numbers.

The numbers for Kennedy that I mentioned are not really based on what I expect from him though. Those are the numbers that I think he is capable of posting. Obvioulsy, I am not as close to day-to-day operations of your team as the Pens fans are, but I do believe Bylsma misuses Kennedy. I just don't see him as a checking winger. I amy be wrong of course.... I think he will score more points for you if he plays with Malkin or Crosby. Hell, *I* can score points when playing with either of those two. LOL. Playing with Sutter will do Kennedy a disfavor in my humble opinion...

I like him too... in a third line role.

Oddly enough, he had the best season of his career while playing without Crosby and Malkin in the lineup during the 2010-2011 season. They have tried Kennedy with Crosby in the past and he didn't produce. If anything, he has proven himself to be more consistently effective when playing on a third line and handling third line duties.

I think one of the more popular assumptions out there is just because a forward plays next to Crosby or Malkin, that forward will automatically click and produce. It's not as easy as some may think to play next to those guys. Dupuis was given the opportunity and he took advantage of it this past season. Tyler Kennedy was given the same opportunity in the past and he failed to consistently produce in the situation.

With that being said, do I feel he will have a better season than last year? Well, I would hope so. You can't get much worse than 11 goals after being rewarded an extension by the organization.

Edited by Penguins-66

You can't get much worse than 11 goals

Well he always seems to come to play when he is against the Flyers......The guy has a plus 10 rating with only 11 goals scored( and 22 assists) so that would lead me to believe he is more defensively responsible than I give him credit for and he only played 60 games last season.. I would still place him higher than Cooke who only had 5 more points than Kennedy with 22 more games played......

Well he always seems to come to play when he is against the Flyers......The guy has a plus 10 rating with only 11 goals scored( and 22 assists) so that would lead me to believe he is more defensively responsible than I give him credit for and he only played 60 games last season.. I would still place him higher than Cooke who only had 5 more points than Kennedy with 22 more games played......

Unfortunately, we need him to play well when he's going up against the other 28 teams in the league, not just when he's going up against the Flyers.

Either way, I don't see what Kennedy has to do with Cooke. Kennedy is a right winger. Cooke is a left winger. If Kennedy were to get bumped up to the second line, he would be replacing Dupuis. Why should we replace a guy who is coming off a career year on Crosby's line for a guy who underachieved all season long and who has also proven in the past that he is unable to produce on a line with Crosby? I don't get it.

Again, I like him on a 3rd line and I'm all for bumping Kennedy up to #2-RW if Neal or Dupuis are injured or if Dupuis is struggling, but I don't see how he's earned the right to take Dupuis' spot on the second line. If we are struggling offensively, do I see him getting another chance on the top-six? Considering we lack legitimate options at this point in the season, I sure do unfortunately.

Edited by Penguins-66