D takes another hit... Lilja out 4 months....

Guest murraycraven

I wasn't counting on Lilja for more than warming a seat in the press box, so this doesn't really "worry" me.

On the plus side, the Flyers will get some small cap relief (if they need it) from an otherwise wasted cap and roster spot.

• Like 2

posted this in the shoutbox, but I think he's done for the year, given this diagnosis...A doctor diagnosed it as a degenerative hip condition."That isn't going to get any better...surgery can clean it out and reduce the pain, but it won't "heal"

Not that losing him is a loss...

as i just said in the sb, losing more depth hurts

one more injury away from mab, gus and manning all in the starting 6...

if kimmo can't start the season or coburn gets hurt, you have gervais manning gus and mab ...

i am NOT okay with that

*yuck*

Edited by davies

if kimmo can't start the season or coburn gets hurt, you have gervais manning gus and mab ...

i am NOT okay with that

*yuck*

First off, Hi davies, long time no see. Second, I think Lilja was the 8th d-man at best on the Flyers roster.I feel his loss barring catastrophic injuries to the top 4 d-men, is addition by subtraction. The only reason he is in front of Walker on the depth chart is he costs a million less. I would like to see some more of Manning myself, he looked decent as a call up even though he only played minimal minutes.

i am NOT okay with that

*yuck*

Completely agree, Lilja obviously isn't a main part of the defense but he does provide depth and is a veteran in the league. While I don't think you will find too many(if any) fans of Lilja it's still another blow to an already paper thin defense. I don't mind giving the young guys a shot but everyone will be unfairly calling for their heads while they go through the growing pains.

Keeps getting better and better....

Not that the loss bothers me at all but why do these players wait soooo late to get surgery???? Been off for months and about to get ready to start training again...then he wants to get surgery???WTF? Why not just wait till opening day and get surgery????

I am baffled as to why Homer still didn't sign a d-man like Carlo Calloivacovo. I mean what is the risk? If nothing else, it will provide much-needed depth. He better not counting on Bruno Gervais to make the team is all I can say.

I am baffled as to why Homer still didn't sign a d-man like Carlo Calloivacovo. I mean what is the risk? If nothing else, it will provide much-needed depth. He better not counting on Bruno Gervais to make the team is all I can say.

From his non action it has to be his plan.

I'm not sure the oft injured Carlo C. is the d-man we need. We really aren't looking for d-man to play the PP and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Carlo isn't looking for a team where he could be guaranteed first PP line minutes. On the other hand Gervais will make the team, will play the PP and basically IS Matt Carle's replacement with the benefit being he is a right handed shot and gives the team more versatility in moving the puck up the ice.

I'm not sure the oft injured Carlo C. is the d-man we need. We really aren't looking for d-man to play the PP and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Carlo isn't looking for a team where he could be guaranteed first PP line minutes. On the other hand Gervais will make the team, will play the PP and basically IS Matt Carle's replacement with the benefit being he is a right handed shot and gives the team more versatility in moving the puck up the ice.

when timonen can't start the season he will get that first PP unit time :0

i wonder if c caliacovo wants a multi year contract from somebody and nobody has been willing to give it to him yet

i know he's super injury prone but maybe he could stay healty long enough for us to get meszy back... worth a shot

Completely agree, Lilja obviously isn't a main part of the defense but he does provide depth and is a veteran in the league. While I don't think you will find too many(if any) fans of Lilja it's still another blow to an already paper thin defense. I don't mind giving the young guys a shot but everyone will be unfairly calling for their heads while they go through the growing pains.

i don't mind giving the young guys a shot at all, but not all three of them at once!

@davies I was thinking the same thing davies, one, *maybe* two...but most certainly not 3 rookies....wow, that is indeed scary. The only positive is we will find out what we have defensive wise going forward...but at what cost?? Assuming there is a training camp, there is always at least one of two defensive injuries...LMAO, I can only imagine the outright stiffs Homer would add at that point. One more defensive injury and this year is a write off before it even happens! Maybe the best thing for the Flyers is to have a year long strike and save us the embarrassment of even playing. Only problem there is, it stifles the development of youth, both at forward and defense..at least everyone would be in the same boat.

I think at this point we will see a mid-range depth UFA pickup

I thought that was Bruno Gervais...or do you mean another mid range defenseman....nevermind...you said mid-range not press box replacement unit....

Edit...I guess I should wait and see if playing with his buddy Max on the ice helps him to pick up his game some.....

I thought that was Bruno Gervais...or do you mean another mid range defenseman....nevermind...you said mid-range not press box replacement unit....

Edit...I guess I should wait and see if playing with his buddy Max on the ice helps him to pick up his game some.....

Yeah, I was gonna say I wonder how many other childhood friends Talbot has...