D takes another hit... Lilja out 4 months....

Guest murraycraven

I know I'm one of the biggest critics of +/- as a stat, but Lilja was a +9 last year. Not too bad for the worst defenseman on the team, playing in front of the worst goaltender in the league. :ph34r:

At his age, he is what he is. A depth 5/6/7 guy who could take the body and generally make the safe play, with a reasonable cap hit. Losing him isn't some kind of blessing in disguise to the D.

BTW, that +9? Behind only to Coburn's +10 and Gus' +12 among D on the team. In about half as many games as Coburn.

Edited by AJgoal

At his age, he is what he is. A depth 5/6/7 guy who could take the body and generally make the safe play, with a reasonable cap hit. Losing him isn't some kind of blessing in disguise to the D.

Well, I think from the perspecfive of being able to play your developing young D that also looked good last season - and to a much lesser degree the whole cap hit thing - it *could* be a blessing in disguise.

And if Lilja comes back and is ready to fill that role as they move to the playoff run, they may not need to pull the trigger on a "depth dman" at the deadline.

Assuming, of course, that we have hockey...