Yandle

Guest NCFlyer10

Is Yandle of the block right now? He is over a million less than Jaybo with a manageable 5.25, which is less than Carle got, for 4 years. If we have to give up something promising, and I would rather not, but if they do, do it for Yandle.

@NCFlyer10 Agreed, Yandle is the kind of guy I would give up significant pieces for. He's a young stud pp qb who has tons of years ahead of him. I'm a little concerned about his point total last year, he went up steadily year after year, almost putting up 60 pts 2 years ago (59), but fell back to 43 last season. Part of that is due to the Yotes pitiful offense, part of it due to the emergence of Oliver Ekman- Larsson. Oliver and Kieth have the same skill sets, which (just a theory of mine) is why Yandle is on the block....the Yotes can't afford 2 stud pp qb's, where other teams would love to have both. I'm thinking the Yotes view them as redundant skill sets.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=87906

Kieth turns 26 on Sept 9th, so not yet even entering his prime....he will cost a LOT...but worth at least exploring. If he put up 59 pts on the Yotes, he can potentially put up 70 or even 80 on the Flyers. Another factor that will drive up the Yotes asking price...he is signed for 4 more years at a VERY reasonable 5.25 mill per season. Oliver Ekman-Larsson is 21 and makes 1.75 mill a year, he then becomes a RFA, so expect a long term contract for him soon, thus the trading of Yandle....I don't think they can afford both in the small market.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

He isn't on the block right now. Reason being the cba. The yotes right now are below the bottom of the cap. They trade a large salary like that without knowing what the floor will look like with the new cba. Doan will prolly equal that cap or a bit more.

@Jmdodgesrt4 I can see that reasoning as being sound. Who knows what the cap floor could be? Supposedly, Yandle was available at the trade deadline for the right price. Rumor has it they are asking for a #1 center in return...(que the will Briere waive his no trade for a desert trip...lol). The one reason I can see a Yandle trade is their defensive depth. Not only a young stud in Oliver E-L....but Brandon Gormerly, David Runblad and a few others on the cusp of making an impact.....so they do have adequate replacements. One reason it won't happen....he is a team leader, well respected in the dressing room.....AND is quite physical for a point producing pp qb.....a rare combo that is really hard to find.

@Jmdodgesrt4 If Philly is above the cap, then a lot of teams are in the same boat. I suspect some sort of luxury tax will be involved, along with one maybe two buy outs...and a slight player reduction rollback (maybe 5% or so?). Not that I think that's fair, but the owners have a bit more leverage I believe.

• Like 1

@Jmdodgesrt4 I can see that reasoning as being sound. Who knows what the cap floor could be? Supposedly, Yandle was available at the trade deadline for the right price. Rumor has it they are asking for a #1 center in return...(que the will Briere waive his no trade for a desert trip...lol). The one reason I can see a Yandle trade is their defensive depth. Not only a young stud in Oliver E-L....but Brandon Gormerly, David Runblad and a few others on the cusp of making an impact.....so they do have adequate replacements. One reason it won't happen....he is a team leader, well respected in the dressing room.....AND is quite physical for a point producing pp qb.....a rare combo that is really hard to find.

A lot of Flyers fans view Briere as a commodity... I don't ever hear any other teams show any interest in him except the occasional Buffalo blurb... he's just not that good anymore. You'd have to send more than Briere to Phoenix for Yandle I believe. Unless they were dead desperate to be rid of him and he has a NTC that allows him to pick where he goes to limit their options.

Edited by Polaris922

he's just not that good anymore.

He did lead the post season in goals until the Flyers got eliminated. His career playoff point pace is insane. A team will value that. Its not like he completely disappears every regular season either. He had a pretty quiet regular season, but as soon as the playoff started he went off.

He did lead the post season in goals until the Flyers got eliminated. His career playoff point pace is insane. A team will value that. Its not like he completely disappears every regular season either. He had a pretty quiet regular season, but as soon as the playoff started he went off.

He does step up in the playoffs, but he's on the decline and Yandle is coming into his prime. I really don't think anyone outside of Philly values Briere the way you guys do. Again with the exception of Buffalo. My point is simply that it's going to take more than Briere even up for Yandle.

• Like 2

Posted · Hidden by Polaris922, August 13, 2012 - DELETE
Hidden by Polaris922, August 13, 2012 - DELETE

He does step up in the playoffs, but he's on the decline and Yandle is coming into his prime. I really don't think anyone outside of Philly values Briere the way you guys do. Again with the exception of Buffalo. My point is simply that it's going to take more than Briere even up for Yandle.

My point is simply that it's going to take more than Briere even up for Yandle.

a third line guy and a pick + Briere would be fair.

When I look at the Coyotes I don't see a whole lot of centerman i'd take before Daniel....Vermette and i'd say it's a toss twixt Danny and Hanzal. So on that team he's immediately the #2 center and makes your team more flexible. this is the whole idea of finding a team that needs what you have to make a win win trade.

My point is simply that it's going to take more than Briere even up for Yandle.

I won't disagree with that. But any team in the league would value a player that is a point per game in the playoffs. You might actually see how much so this season if the Flyers are out of it and are selling at the deadline.

hey that's where he started out isn't it? maybe he'd like to end his career there. well, we can dream can't we.

hey that's where he started out isn't it? maybe he'd like to end his career there. well, we can dream can't we.

He actually played 33 more regular season games in Phoenix than Buffalo. But 28 more playoff games for the Sabres.

Briere is on record saying when he signed in Philadelphia he wanted long term stability for he and his family - thus the length of term and the NMC.

"Moving to Phoenix" to "help the Flyers win a Cup" isn't "long term stability."

Quite frankly, moving Briere is just "a dream".

Is Yandle of the block right now? He is over a million less than Jaybo with a manageable 5.25, which is less than Carle got, for 4 years. If we have to give up something promising, and I would rather not, but if they do, do it for Yandle.

why does it seem like anymore every guy available is overrated and going to be overpaid? there is no suprise why the NHL will lockout..

why does it seem like anymore every guy available is overrated and going to be overpaid? there is no suprise why the NHL will lockout..

1) Yandle is not "available" - he is under contract

2) Yandle just had his third 40+ point season in a row (and hit 59 in 10-11)

3) Yandle runs the PP on a team that just got to the WC Finals

4) Yandle hasn't been a "minus" player for four years and is a +17 for his career

I'm not sure I would call Yandle "overpaid" at $5.25M for the next four years (aside from the general feeling that all players are generally overpaid) - if Matt Carle can get $5.5M with one 40-point season in the past three and not running the Flyers PP... In fact, Yandle has more consecutive 40+ point seasons than Carle has career 40+ point seasons.

Carle is the "overpaid" one in this situation. Not Yandle.

And it is amusing that the Same People who are the ones "overpaying" all of these guys ALL THE TIME are the ones who are "locking them out" for accepting the deals that the owners have offered them...

2) Yandle just had his third 40+ point season in a row (and hit 59 in 10-11)

3) Yandle runs the PP on a team that just got to the WC Finals

4) Yandle hasn't been a "minus" player for four years and is a +17 for his career

I'm not sure I would call Yandle "overpaid" at $5.25M for the next four years (aside from the general feeling that all players are generally overpaid) - if Matt Carle can get $5.5M with one 40-point season in the past three and not running the Flyers PP... In fact, Yandle has more consecutive 40+ point seasons than Carle has career 40+ point seasons.

Carle is the "overpaid" one in this situation. Not Yandle.

And it is amusing that the Same People who are the ones "overpaying" all of these guys ALL THE TIME are the ones who are "locking them out" for accepting the deals that the owners have offered them...

somebody needs a hug..

At the risk of sounding like a di*ck, define available? It is well know that Phoenix was entertaining offers for him at this year's draft, their price was too high, so nothing happened. The fact they were listening, to me, means he could be available for the right price.

Now, paying that price is a whole different issue for the Flyers, or anyone else.

Agreed there is NO way Briere is waiving his NMC...not a chance.

At the risk of sounding like a di*ck, define available? It is well know that Phoenix was entertaining offers for him at this year's draft, their price was too high, so nothing happened. The fact they were listening, to me, means he could be available for the right price.

Now, paying that price is a whole different issue for the Flyers, or anyone else.

Agreed there is NO way Briere is waiving his NMC...not a chance.

Well, exactly - define "available."

I would define Yandle as not "available" for what I would be willing to pay. I would go a step further and say he's not "available" for what the Flyers are willing to pay.

I futher don't understand why Phoenix - a Western Conference Finalist - is hot and bothered to deal their PP QB. At the trade deadline last year? Sure. Phoenix hadn't made a run yet. But after they made the Conference Finals? As with any player, everyone is "available" and you deal them if you get the right offer. Phoenix didn't get the right offer at the deadline last season and, if nothing else, the price went up. After Carle's signing, Yandle's skill, cap hit and four year length becomes even MORE valuable.

And the fact that this thread inevitably went the way of every trade thread - the "let's move the guys with the No Movement Clauses" routine - is tiresome in the extreme.

a third line guy and a pick + Briere would be fair.

When I look at the Coyotes I don't see a whole lot of centerman i'd take before Daniel....Vermette and i'd say it's a toss twixt Danny and Hanzal. So on that team he's immediately the #2 center and makes your team more flexible. this is the whole idea of finding a team that needs what you have to make a win win trade.

I won't disagree with that. But any team in the league would value a player that is a point per game in the playoffs. You might actually see how much so this season if the Flyers are out of it and are selling at the deadline.

Agree with you both. It may fit the bill for what would help Phoenix, but Yandle is a rare asset in the game as it stands. Not many hig producing defensemen in the league right now, and when you have one, you don't let him go for somebody like Briere. Now maybe as Mojo1917 said add a grinder of some quality and a pick.. who knows? Part of the argument in this thread is why would Phoenix let him go... well... they DO have Ekman-Larsson to fill the role. He had fewer points by 11, but scored more goals with 50 less shots, and a higher shooting percentage than Yandle. So maybe they WOULD be willing to move Yandle if the right offer came along, but I don't think that offer is Briere. Not to mention as @radoran points out Briere probably won't want to go anywhere.