Will lockout affect young guys development?

Guest ctid

Wouldn't a lockout severely affect the continued development of the young guys?

Specifically, I'm worried about Couturier and B.Schenn.

Perhaps it would actually benefit a guy like Luke Schenn, he wouldn't be cast directly into another pressure cooker, but instead he would play somewhere else under no scrutiny whatsoever and develop a bit more out of the spotlight.

I'm not overly worried about Read, Voracek, Gus, MAB. The first two have convinced the heck outta me that they can play at a high level in the NHL for years. They should be able to play anywhere for a year and step right back into the NHL after a potential lockout without missing a beat. Gus and MAB would actually do them some good of receiving alot of ice time in the AHL.

But again, I'm worried about Couts and B.Schenn. Couts is developing nicely, Schenn had an injuries halt his devlopment last season, but bounced back nicely. I think we all expect him to do very well this year. 20goals at least combined with a hard nosed two-way hockey game.

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe anybody with a two-way contract would be eligible to play in the AHL. So guys like Gus, MAB, Wellwood (I think) would be able to play in the AHL.

I don't know about Couts, B.Schenn (L.Schen definitely not), or Read.

Richards/Crater (and Sharp, Niittymaki, etc.) played in the AHL during the last lockout. Schenn started out in the AHL last season.

The one-way/two-way question has to do with how much money they get paid in each league and how they are calculated against the off-season cap.

Couturier would make $70K in the AHL. Schenn, $67.5K - so they would only make about one and a half times the average household income in the State of Pennsylvania...

I'll bet they *really* want the CBA taken care of.

Well, here's another CBA question....are players eligible/ineligible for waivers once the lockout occurs? Meaning, can players that would normally get claimed by moving thru waivers, be sent down without risk of being claimed? I would assume so..since there is no CBA, and therefore no waiver rules..

Well, here's another CBA question....are players eligible/ineligible for waivers once the lockout occurs? Meaning, can players that would normally get claimed by moving thru waivers, be sent down without risk of being claimed? I would assume so..since there is no CBA, and therefore no waiver rules..

They'll have some mechanism worked out if that occurs.

Anyone remember how it worked in 1994?

I think we'll see alot of NHL level talent in the AHL if there is a lockout. That happened during the last lockout. It won't be the same as playing in the NHL full time but I'm sure it will be more challenging than normal AHL play. They might not develop as quickly as if there wasn't a lockout but I don't think it will be a huge setback.