Simmonds Extension

Guest sekkes85

Not seeing this anywhere (probably on Twitter or something) but my friend is telling me Simmonds is working on a 6 year extension with a $4 mil cap hit.

Not a bad cap hit especially if he continues to develop some more, I'm a big fan of Simmonds and what he brings to the table every night. We'll see if this actually happens though.

• Like 3

That seems like alot of money to me. He had a great season last year, a career year... but comparing to other players salaries in a similar point production range... that seems high. I guess it's about who is available when... but you guys have a LOT of young players that will be coming off of entry level contracts in the next couple of years... I dunno if I would like this one if I were a Flyers fan.

As you can tell by my avatar, I can't possibly like this move more. Simmer is the very definition of a Flyer; tough, mean and talented. I remember when he took a puck off his face to score a goal, got stitches and fought later that week. Just awesome.

• Like 1

Not really seeing how that is high for what he brings?

Only 23 years old and scored 28G, 21A, -1 in 82GP. He hits, drops the gloves when needed, healthy (only missed 6 games in 4 NHL season) and a genuinely good guy (not that has any effect on his on ice skillset). Yes it was a career year but he never really was given any scoring opportunity while in LA, he got it in Philly and produced when given the chance.

Of course each player brings their own skillset but...

Jeff Skinner, 20 years old, 20G, 24A, -8 in 64GP signed a 5.72 cap hit 6 year extenstion.

Ryan Kessler, 27 years old, 22G, 27A, +11 in 77GP. $5 mil cap hit for next 3 years

And I wanted to do some more research here bt just got real sleepy but my point is the cap hit is right at or possibly below market value for what he brings.

Good night all!

• Like 1

This is great news!! I'm more than happy with the cap hit. It's hard to find tough and skilled in this league. When your team is missing toughness, you can add it, but you will overpay and the guy does not usually add much offense. A fine example of this is the Habs. They got pushed around a lot, had to add toughness and gave Brandon Prust 2.5 million per year as a free agent....the same Brandon Prust who kicked in 5 goals in the regular season. Sure 28 goals were a career high for Wayne, but he has only been in league for 4 years and does have some upside in him.

Even if he only got 20 goals a year for the rest of his contract, this would be a really good bang for your buck. The guy is just a load in front of the net on the power play and forces opponents on the pk to dedicate one and possibly two guys to fight him off in front, or have your goalie mercilessly screened and harassed. The guy has great hands for physical player, and just as important, he skates well.

These are the kind of guys I like to load up on, guys with excellent compete level and in general, make your team hard to play against. Talbot and Hartnell are other guys that can hit and score, the more guys you have like this, the better chance you win the 7 game wars the playoffs are full of.

There is no real gamble here, you are getting a guy who will always score 20+, but has the skill level to *maybe* even consistently score you 30+....that's not guaranteed by any means, but not out of the question either. He is 2 or 3 years away from peaking offensively, so the future looks bright.

Another positive note, I was happy to learn he was playing hurt in the playoffs, because he was not himself...no jump in his step and not much tenacity for that time of year...you could tell something was off.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 3

As you can tell by my avatar, I can't possibly like this move more. Simmer is the very definition of a Flyer; tough, mean and talented. I remember when he took a puck off his face to score a goal, got stitches and fought later that week. Just awesome.

This dude reminds me a lot of Mike Richards. Everything but probably the defensive aspect of his game. I could see this guy putting up some serious numbers 2-3 years down the road, and being a physical force.

• Like 1

@AMMOnation I like the idea of having Simmonds, Hartnell and Talbot locked up long term. In other words, no matter what line we throw out there, we will have a physical presence that can score. I think in the future we can add B.Schenn to this list, as he gets more comfortable, his mean streak will show up more frequently than it did in his rookie season. Hell, we even have Harry Z who is no slouch in the physicality department. This team will not be pushed around, and the smaller guys like G and Danny B will not have to look over their shoulders (not that G is a *****, but you know what I mean). Flyer hockey.....gotta love it huh!!!

@AMMOnation I like the idea of having Simmonds, Hartnell and Talbot locked up long term. In other words, no matter what line we throw out there, we will have a physical presence that can score. I think in the future we can add B.Schenn to this list, as he gets more comfortable, his mean streak will show up more frequently than it did in his rookie season. Hell, we even have Harry Z who is no slouch in the physicality department. This team will not be pushed around, and the smaller guys like G and Danny B will not have to look over their shoulders (not that G is a *****, but you know what I mean). Flyer hockey.....gotta love it huh!!!

When did they sign Hartnell?

Awesome news!. When the trade was made for Richards I was more pumped for acquiring Simmonds as he was born to wear the O&B. I think long term it is undermarket price for a blossoming power forward who will only get better with time.

He set a career high in goals because he saw more time including power play time and will only get better.

Power guys like him who can score 30 goals, hit heavily, drop the mitts, and stick up for his mates are a rare commodity in the game today and for the price, I think it's a bargain.

• Like 2

@Polaris922

A $3.84 cap hit for a 23 year old 28 goal scorer who plays physical, skates well and LOVES going to the front of the net. That seems like a lot??? He would have been the Pens 3rd leading goal scorer last year. And he should only get better. Good deal for the Flyers IMO.

• Like 1

This is a great deal. This is very similar to Hartnell's contract, only better.

Hartnell got 4.2m caphit for 6/7 years (can't remember the length exactly)

Simmonds got 3.84m cap hit for 6 years.

For a very long time we all complained about Hartnell's cap hit of 4.2m. But at the same time I remember alot of people saying that if it was 3.5, it would have been a good deal.

In today's contract terms, I think this is an absolutely amazing deal. a 23 year old 28 goal scorer who is physical locked up for 6 years at 3.84m cap hit??

That is extremely good!

Not seeing this anywhere (probably on Twitter or something) but my friend is telling me Simmonds is working on a 6 year extension with a $4 mil cap hit.

Not a bad cap hit especially if he continues to develop some more, I'm a big fan of Simmonds and what he brings to the table every night. We'll see if this actually happens though.

I agree this is a great signing...Simmonds has quickly become one of my fav Flyers..brings alot to the table...

I agree this is a great signing...Simmonds has quickly become one of my fav Flyers..brings alot to the table...

Yeah, but what do you know about anything?

Edited by hf101
Removed inflaming statement. It may have been an inside joke, but it wasn't obvious.

I think this is a good deal, hopefully the term staggers with Voras, & G's upcoming payday so that they're not all due for a raise at once.

i don't know if i'm expecting 28 goals this year from him, but i do think he's going to be a good value at that cap number. i agree that it seems if he stays healthy he's capable of potting 20 goals a year consistently, plus there is room to improve, he could be a little stronger on the puck which in his case comes down to stick handling, that can be worked on.

I like him and his game. i thinks this is a good extension.

Finally some good Flyers news. Simmer is probably my favorite Flyer, even though he had a rather anonymous post-season. I guess the Flyers are banking on continued progress becoming a steady power forward and by the last 3-4 years of the deal, it hopefully will be a bargain.

That seems like alot of money to me. He had a great season last year, a career year... but comparing to other players salaries in a similar point production range... that seems high. I guess it's about who is available when... but you guys have a LOT of young players that will be coming off of entry level contracts in the next couple of years... I dunno if I would like this one if I were a Flyers fan.

You've gotta be kidding me... This seems high to you?? What are you basing this opinion on exactly? Have you actually watched him play at all?

Simmer is as perfect of a combination of grit and skills as it comes. He scores and hits consistently; there are not many like him in the entire league. He sacrifices his body, yet manages to stay relatively healthy, which also speaks of his endurance. I can't see him scoring less than 25 goals moving forward. And the best part is he is only 24 years old. This salary hit is nominal when putting in the context of the market value and the fact that if not secured now, he will demand considerably more if he hits free agency.

This is NOT even close to being "a lot of money". I am happy with this signing...

Edited by Mad Dog